Winterizing - headache or breeze?

Dmaxcc6spd

I have a Sundance 2998RB that has been a great unit. The biggest problem is winterizing the unit. I have to crawl into the basement storage area, remove a panel and stretch and squirm and wiggle to get my hand in far enough to reach the hot water heater bypass. Also the valves to draw anti-freeze in are in this compartment. How is this accomplished on a Gateway unit? Pictures would really be appreciated. I'm hoping to upgrade this summer, but Heartland's website has been down for 2 days now.

Thanks for any insight.

CarterKraft

We are not in the sub artic climate zone but I have had great luck with using air to blow out the lines.

I don't bypass the water heater just connect the air hose to the fill port and starting with the 4 way valve on Winterize I turn on the air @ 30 psi. I will run the water pump for 30 seconds to purge it and then cycle the 4 way valve to all positions before leaving it on CITY. Open the low point drains and then on to the other end of the trailer opening all the valves, don't forget the toilet and outdoor shower. Lastly I open the easy open drain valve on the water heater with a 1/2" EMT pipe I cut slots in the end of. This directs the water out away from the water heater compartment and since its under pressure it doesn't take long and does a good job of "flushing" the heater tank.

Pour some antifreeze in the p traps and toilet. I Do this multiple times per year as we often camp in the winter months.

dewwood

We had a Sundance and the valves and hose were accessed from inside the unit. There was a panel we removed in front of the hot water heater and pump, from there we could reach all of the valves and the hose to winterize. See if your unit is configured for that access.

Dmaxcc6spd

Dewwood, you make it sound like the Gateway is configured like our current Sundance - access via the basement area. I've seen other models where everything was accessible via the docking station area. Can you reach the valves while standing on the street side of the unit, or do you have to crawl in?

dewwood

Sorry, I am not familiar with the Gateway, I thought you were asking about a Sundance. We were able to access to winterize from inside the coach not from the outside.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Found a video of a Gateway, at 6:56 they show the UDC. I don't see any winterizing valves, so likely it's the same as your Sundance -- the valves located behind the basement wall.

Many folks have made access to that area easier by making larger openings, adding sliding panels, or hinges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Dl7OS0mRg