Winterizing our 5vers

BluegrassMan

Thanks Jim

Hi Jim and everyone:

Thanks for the "Heads-up" on the posts, I'm not nearly as slick on the computer as I lead one to think.

jpmorgan37

Hello all;
As one who used to live in northern Minnesota we had to add antifreeze even tho we blew out and drained as much as we could. An easy way to put antifreeze in the system is after the lines are blown out, and the hot water heater is drained, put the hot water heater on bypass, fill a 25 foot garden hose with antifreeze, connect it to the city water inlet and with low air pressure, open one faucet at a time until pink liquid comes out. Shut that faucet off and go to the next one, etc. It works perfect even at 35 below zero.

slaytop

If you run antifreeze through the pipes, don't forget to include the spray hose connections in the dock and storage area.

J

Jumpshot

Hey Glenn
How are you? Where are you in Tenn? We're just outside of Memphis at the Tom Sawyer Mississippi River Park.

On the antifreeze, there are some who just blow out the lines with air and don't put antifreeze in. If you can get all of the water out it's not necessary to put antifreeze in. Since many don't have an air compressor handy, the antifreeze is the common method for most.

Big Blue.... How do you blow out the lines with compressed air?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Here is a thread that discussed this topic.
If you go to it you can see some of the options others have given.

I posted about using a air compressor I use and some parts from Lowe's.

Hope this helps you..

Winterizing Thread

TXBobcat

Fulltime
An addition, when I last winterized my SOB 5er, I forgot to get the water out of the pump housing of the water pump. I did not use antifreeze and run it thru the water pump. Of course it broke and I found out in the spring when I started to set it up.

jbeletti

Jumpshot,

Use a $5 blow-out plug on the city water connection. Dial your air compressor pressure down to about 50 PSI and while someone else runs one tap open at a time, hold the compressor valve onto the end of the blow-out plug.

mrcomer (Mark) and I discussed using a couple of brass adapters to more easily connect the compressor using a quick-coupling and not having to hold the valve onto the blow-out plug. Mark made his up and I just got my parts to make mine up for next year. One of us will post pics soon.

Jim

//heartlandowners.org/attachments/forum/winterize_black_tank_flush.jpg
(Note that image shows black tank flusher being blown out. The connection process is the same for the city water connection)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I did the same as Jim, but rather than dial your compressor to 50psi I dialed down to about 15/20 psi and just snapped the compressor hose on to the blow out connector I made. The compressor would run up to the 20 psi and shut off. When I went in the trailer to open a faucet it would start up the compressor. Shut off that faucet and go to another. Works good at all faucets. Don't need two people..