With the new Landmarks how long can you run the Res. Refrigerator off of batteries?

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
We will be going on some pretty long trips this summer and have the Samsung "French Door" refrigerator. How long can you run the refrigerator on batteries before the inverter shuts down? It looks like Heartland has put some fairly large batteries in the units but it would be nice to know so we can plan our travel time.

Thanks

jnbhobe

While you are hooked up to the truck your truck charging system should keep your batteries charged.

fredwrichardson

While you are hooked up to the truck your truck charging system should keep your batteries charged.

I guess I did not totally ask the question right. I know if I am underway that the truck will charge the batteries but what if we end up at a Walmart or truck stop for the night how long will the refrigerator run just off of batteries?

danemayer

Hi Fred,

We've had a number of discussions about this since the residential refrigerators came out. You should be fine stopping overnight without shore power. But with the standard batteries and no alternative power source, I doubt you'd make it through a 2 night stay.

Given all the variables involved, I doubt we're going to see a statement from Heartland that provides more than a broad guideline. And that's what we already have, based on prior discussions.

But let's keep in mind that it's a residential refrigerator. For those planning on boondocking, maybe a residential unit isn't the right choice, or perhaps a solar array is needed.

fredwrichardson

Hi Fred,

We've had a number of discussions about this since the residential refrigerators came out. You should be fine stopping overnight without shore power. But with the standard batteries and no alternative power source, I doubt you'd make it through a 2 night stay.

Given all the variables involved, I doubt we're going to see a statement from Heartland that provides more than a broad guideline. And that's what we already have, based on prior discussions.

But let's keep in mind that it's a residential refrigerator. For those planning on boondocking, maybe a residential unit isn't the right choice, or perhaps a solar array is needed.

Dan,

You gave me the answer I was looking for and we never plan on boondocking unless we have a generator so multiple nights without AC is not in the plans.

Thanks

jbeletti

Fred,

I've had some pretty long travel days (10 hours) and the inverter was still powering the refer. What my battery level was at the end of that day, I don't know. Could I have made it overnight without shore power? Depends on my state of charge and how much additional DC demand (lights, water pump, furnace blower etc.) I was putting on the batteries.