Woo Hoo! Finally got the RV Port Finished

jeffdee

This has been a very long project, about 9 months, stretched out in various stages. However, an excellent construction crew came yesterday morning and put up this 24' x 50' x 14' tall RV Port. I spent today cleaning up and locating all the dropped screws. I finally got the two rv's to 'bed' this afternoon. No more sun bleached roofs or rain for now. Hopefully I will be able to keep the Cyclone a bit cleaner. At least when the summer sun moves over, the trees will be able to shade the nose of the Cyclone. I am so happy to finally get them under a cover.

rvp1_zpsqjloe2qk.jpg

rvp2_zpssvhgmyqj.jpg

rvp3_zpssswfpr9y.jpg

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
I have been looking at doing the same thing for my Ashland and Truck. Did you get a kit and if I can ask what company did you use?

scottyb

Nice job Jeff. It looks great and is in a very nice setting. Do you have 14' clear for height? Good looking concrete slab too. I built mine on piers and elevated them for a future slab. The gravel will have to do for now, but it does get a little iritating at times.. Have you installed utilities to it yet?

jeffdee

I have been looking at doing the same thing for my Ashland and Truck. Did you get a kit and if I can ask what company did you use?

The company is out of North Carolina. I used a local sales rep for the purchase. It does not appear that they serve New Mexico but a google search will show you that it is a very competitive market for carports. I am a retired civil/structural engineer so my research was to find a competent installation crew. The metal construction and materials is pretty much all the same, however, I chose the vertical roof style because it is the strongest. I am in a hurricane zone so this building is rated for 130 mph winds.

It is the installers that makes for the quality of construction for a satisfactory building. I was pleased with the three young men that pulled up to my home yesterday morning. They drove 8 hours to Baton Rouge from Georgia with the pre-cut materials. They never stopped or slacked off the whole 10 hours of construction. They finished at 8 pm and then drove back to Georgia. It is a shame that it is such a hard living for them but I have a lot of respect for their craftsmanship. They paid very close attention to level, plumb, square and detail. The framework was well braced before the sheet metal went on. The proper placement of screws per sheet was closely followed. They damaged nothing and wasted no materials. They took no shortcuts either. They only complained that they rarely put up 14' walls. (My Cyclone is 13' - 3" high.) Normally they only construct 10' or 12' walls. However, my brother and I helped them by holding their ladders to keep them stable when they were up high. When they finished they cleaned up everything, trash and all.

It was dark when they finished the trim and they had a long trip back so I let them out of finding all the dropped screws. I did that today with my large magnet. I was so pleased with their work last night that I tipped them enough cash for their dinners on the way home.

I paid a little above $8k for this building. I ordered this building last September and have been on a waiting list since because I told them I wanted their best crew. The price of the building never changed.

build1_zpsugqjrm92.jpg

build2_zpsdfqducqg.jpg

build3_zpsdlzszpxf.jpg

build4_zps4wybpyc7.jpg

build5_zps59p2elf9.jpg

jeffdee

Nice job Jeff. It looks great and is in a very nice setting. Do you have 14' clear for height? Good looking concrete slab too. I built mine on piers and elevated them for a future slab. The gravel will have to do for now, but it does get a little iritating at times.. Have you installed utilities to it yet?

Yes, 14' clearance under the gable due to the 14' legs (special order).

I had good finishers for the concrete but I didn't double check the forms before the pour. The width had narrowed a few inches so I had to get the building cut to 23'-8" width. I hated losing the 4 " but I can still open the slides on both sides of the Cyclone with the class c in there next to it.

Electrical utilities will be the next project. EVERYTHING here requires permits. However, I already have the sewer drops under the concrete in the middle and at the front left of the building. I will be bringing a pedestal to the front left of the building with power and water. This way when one of you guys are passing through and want to stop and visit I will have full hookups.

scottyb

I will be bringing a pedestal to the front left of the building with power and water. This way when one of you guys are passing through and want to stop and visit I will have full hookups.

What's the maximum stay?

Looks like a quality job. You will enjoy having the shade immensely. You're like me, no way I was going to enclose a building in central Texas. You would have to air condition it six months out of the year. How tall are your side walls?

I know what you mean about level and plumb. Level is easy but plumb is a different story. When I poured my piers, they were over 54' apart on the diagonal, end to end. I set 3/4" anchor bolts in the concrete piers, each with a specific bolt pattern. I was sweating bullets on getting them plumb. I used plywood templates for the anchor bolts.

Attachments

• IMAG0374.jpg
    IMAG0374.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMAG0378.jpg
    IMAG0378.jpg
    817.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMAG0380.jpg
    IMAG0380.jpg
    820.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMAG0387.jpg
    IMAG0387.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 82

jeffdee

What's the maximum stay?

Looks like a quality job. You will enjoy having the shade immensely. You're like me, no way I was going to enclose a building in central Texas. You would have to air condition it six months out of the year. How tall are your side walls?

I know what you mean about level and plumb. Level is easy but plumb is a different story. When I poured my piers, they were over 54' apart on the diagonal, end to end. I set 3/4" anchor bolts in the concrete piers, each with a specific bolt pattern. I was sweating bullets on getting them plumb. I used plywood templates for the anchor bolts.

Been there, done that! That's exactly how it is done. My home is an octagon with 2 wings coming off of it. Lots of 22.5 degree angles so I used coordinate geometry focusing on a fix point with precise distance control lines. Needless to say the framing contractor was very dubious of this house being layed out correctly. Well when he set the 8 ridge rafters all converging on the same point and was within 1/4" correct the contractor was amazed. Naturally me being the engineer, I did not say anything (LOL).

The side walls are 14' with 3 sheets coming down 9' and a lower opening of 5'.

sengli

We did the same thing, but we only have the one RV. Our is a 41 x 20 x 14H. Keeping the UV from the sun off the parked RV is definitely worth doing.

Attachments

• IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 79

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Was that $8K for everything?

The company is out of North Carolina. I used a local sales rep for the purchase. It does not appear that they serve New Mexico but a google search will show you that it is a very competitive market for carports. I am a retired civil/structural engineer so my research was to find a competent installation crew. The metal construction and materials is pretty much all the same, however, I chose the vertical roof style because it is the strongest. I am in a hurricane zone so this building is rated for 130 mph winds.

It is the installers that makes for the quality of construction for a satisfactory building. I was pleased with the three young men that pulled up to my home yesterday morning. They drove 8 hours to Baton Rouge from Georgia with the pre-cut materials. They never stopped or slacked off the whole 10 hours of construction. They finished at 8 pm and then drove back to Georgia. It is a shame that it is such a hard living for them but I have a lot of respect for their craftsmanship. They paid very close attention to level, plumb, square and detail. The framework was well braced before the sheet metal went on. The proper placement of screws per sheet was closely followed. They damaged nothing and wasted no materials. They took no shortcuts either. They only complained that they rarely put up 14' walls. (My Cyclone is 13' - 3" high.) Normally they only construct 10' or 12' walls. However, my brother and I helped them by holding their ladders to keep them stable when they were up high. When they finished they cleaned up everything, trash and all.

It was dark when they finished the trim and they had a long trip back so I let them out of finding all the dropped screws. I did that today with my large magnet. I was so pleased with their work last night that I tipped them enough cash for their dinners on the way home.

I paid a little above $8k for this building. I ordered this building last September and have been on a waiting list since because I told them I wanted their best crew. The price of the building never changed.

View attachment 34603

View attachment 34604

View attachment 34605

View attachment 34606

View attachment 34607

jeffdee

Was that $8K for everything?

$8093.15 for 24' X 50' X 14' height, vertical roof metal carport, installed, with local taxes. ($1108.65 down payment deposit at the time of purchase.)

$3500 for 24' X 55' X 6+" thick reinforced concrete (6 gauge wire), 27 cubic yards, material and labor (finishers).

$220 local building permit fees.

$??? miscellaneous expenses.

Total 9 month project is just under $12,000.

I consider this a worthy investment for the two rv's for many years into the future.

scottyb

The payoff for due diligence up front is 100 fold. I had a "Plan B" which involved cutting and welding the base plates if nothing lined up properly. Everything went together and fit like a glove. We barely had to use a lineup tool for any of the bolt holes. What is your design point for wind. You mentioned you are in a hurricane zone. We only have to design for 90 MPH here.

You did very well on your price. I traded my Towmax for concrete labor on the piers. I also hired a couple younger friends to do all the ladder and roof work and to run the screw guns. I mostly ran the loader/fork lift and crane. We did everything on two weekends. It was my 1st metal building and I have to say it was most enjoyable. Now I want to build something else.

Attachments

• IMG_2491.jpg
    IMG_2491.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2502.jpg
    IMG_2502.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMAG0410_1.jpg
    IMAG0410_1.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 90
  • 2013-1119-3.jpg
    2013-1119-3.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 85

DocFather

The payoff for due diligence up front is 100 fold. I had a "Plan B" which involved cutting and welding the base plates if nothing lined up properly. Everything went together and fit like a glove. We barely had to use a lineup tool for any of the bolt holes. What is your design point for wind. You mentioned you are in a hurricane zone. We only have to design for 90 MPH here.

You did very well on your price. I traded my Towmax for concrete labor on the piers. I also hired a couple younger friends to do all the ladder and roof work and to run the screw guns. I mostly ran the loader/fork lift and crane. We did everything on two weekends. It was my 1st metal building and I have to say it was most enjoyable. Now I want to build something else.

Come to Indiana and build one for me! :cool:

jeffdee

Ordered ours this week. We got a 24x61x14 coming from the Carolina carports. Can't wait to get it.

If you get Juan, Frank and Daniel, they were the installers for mine. They are very good workers. Juan and Frank work very fast, no wasted motion. Daniel pays very close attention to details.

If so, tell them I said hi!