Worry or don't worry?

BobX2

A question for all you 5th wheel owners out there.

I had my camper hooked up and I was looking at the hitch area on my Sundance this weekend and saw that the clearance between the top of the bed rail on my truck and the trailer didn’t look equal. Got out my tape measure and found that I have 6” clearance on the curb side, and 7” on the street side. I unhooked and measured down to the ground and still have the one inch difference. I hooked back up and parked in different areas and re-measured several times. Same result every time. I can level the trailer, but the upper front is not level with the rest of the trailer.

My question is this. Is this an uncommon thing, or am I just worrying too much about something that is no big deal? I’ve only had it out once, but never noticed it before. Unfortunately when I was adjusting my hitch height, I only measured the clearance on the street side, so I don’t know if it has been like this from the day I bought it, or if something has happened structurally. I can’t see that it is a big deal if it was built this way, so that makes me ask if anyone else has a 5th wheel that sits like that?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
You might try leveling the trailer and then check the inside floor with the level then check the bedroom floor or under the bed. I've never noticed if there was any difference in ours and never really thought to check. I think as long as you felt OK while in the bed, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Pizzadigger

You might want to have some one look at that. When the you level up everything should be level. If not something may be bent, built wrong at the factory or broken from flexing. If it were mine some one would be looking at this issue real soon.

Andy

wdk450

I wouldn't worry about 1 inch difference in parking height. Sounds like something just isn't square. I would repeat your measurements with the truck carrying the full pin box weight (not resting on landing gear) and see if the difference changes substantially. That would suggest welds or frame flex issues.

BobX2

Sent off an email to one of the Sundance XLT big dogs who has answered a question or two for me in the past. Hoping to hear that the overhang framework may occasionally get tweaked a little during the build process. If that is the case, then all is good by me.