Worthless Power King tires

vajack

Well, it happened. I have read many a thread on this site about the Power King towmax tires and the blow out issues. I had all intentions of replacing all 4 on my Sundance 5ver. One last short camping trip and then I will do it I told myself. Headed to a campground about hour and half from home on I81 Friday 6/12/15. 30 miles from campground and the cannon went off. Hit the shoulder as fast as I could. Expected to see the side of the camper destroyed. No exterior damage, wow. Tire wrapped itself around the axle between the hub and springs. Couldn't get it out. Roadside service, trip to nearby tire shop. Four brand new Goodyear Marathons. That were made in the USA. Four hours late arrival to the campground, and $1000.00 lighter.

AAdams

Look at the bright side, you were going to spend the money on the tires anyway, you had no camper damage.... came out pretty good. There are many that probably had the same idea and ended up with thousands in damage.

pjberny5

Just got back from an 10 week 8000 mile tour of the South East a few weeks ago and took by 5th wheel in to have the brakes checked and the wheel bearings re-packed since we were heading into the Rockies on our next outing. A few days after dropping it of the shop called me and said I was one lucky person. 3 of the 4 Towmax tires where ready to blow at anytime. The had golf ball size bubbles that had developed on the inside side of the sidewall. I'm pretty anal as all 5th wheel owners are about checking the air pressure and inspecting the tires. Replaced all 5 with the Sailun S637s 235/85R16 G tires. The person at the tire shop definitely thought they were defective tires and the warranty company actually paid me for the 3 defective tires but would not pay anything on the other two.

2014 BigHorn 3260

Gaffer

Don't run the Marathons for too long if you don't have to. They may be a bit better than the Towmax but...

oscar

Well, it happened. I have read many a thread on this site about the Power King towmax tires and the blow out issues. I had all intentions of replacing all 4 on my Sundance 5ver. One last short camping trip and then I will do it I told myself. Headed to a campground about hour and half from home on I81 Friday 6/12/15. 30 miles from campground and the cannon went off. Hit the shoulder as fast as I could. Expected to see the side of the camper destroyed. No exterior damage, wow. Tire wrapped itself around the axle between the hub and springs. Couldn't get it out. Roadside service, trip to nearby tire shop. Four brand new Goodyear Marathons. That were made in the USA. Four hours late arrival to the campground, and $1000.00 lighter.

$1000 for four? Sounds like a decent deal. G614's?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Goodyear, unfortunately, outsourced Marathon manufacturing to China a few years ago. Keep a keen eye on them. They seem less problematic than the BlowMax, but there have still been several posts/reports of failures with them also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk