Question on replacement tires

campfire7

After pulling TT for years I finally had my first blow-out coming home this past weekend, Before we left on the trip aired the tires to max pressure (65 LBS) and visually inspected them, the tires looked good, no cracks an the treads looked as good as new. we have a 2011 29RK North Country with dry weight at 7500 LBS, The Tires are the original tires from the factory ( Power King), I am looking to replace all 4 tires but I am not sure what brand of tire is the best, I don't really want to go back to the Power King. When my RV is at home it is stored under a shed and out of the sun and is parked on boards, off of the ground, It seems that with no more miles that I have on these tires they should last longer than these did. I a looking for information on what tires I should go with. Any help would e much appreciate. Thanks

Lynn1130

Firstly, do a search in the search engine here of Tow Max and you will find volumes on these tires and the related problems. Included in those threads will be a number of recommendations for tire replacement. This topic much like which truck is best, and what oil should I use is VERY subjective so do your own research along with what you find here.

I am curious. Do the sidewalls of your tires say 65 lbs? Most of those that have been mentioned here are 80 lbs (Tow Max). If any tire is under inflated it will greatly increase the chances of failure.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The size of the rims and tires pressure ratings will be what we need to know before we give advise.

justafordguy

Hey Campfire, Give us the size of your tires and we can give you some suggestions on a good replacement. Whatever you do, do not get Power King / TowMax tires. They are a very poor quality tire and I'm surprised you made it as far as you did with your original ones.

Gaffer

Go to Discount tire and have them bring in a set of Maxxis in your size. Stay away from Goodyear Marathon.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I just bought a set of five Hi-Run tires a month ago for our Heartland Trail Runner, but two weeks ago we traded it in for our new 2015 Heartland Prowler.

Since the new tires on the Trail Runner only had about 80 miles on them, I had the dealership put the Hi-Run's on the Prowler and put the BlowMax tires from the Prowler on the Trail Runner.

I had never heard of Hi-Run tires, but the shop that did the work on our Trail Runner (which also builds heavy duty flat bed trailers), recommended them as he puts them on every trailer he builds.

They now have around 130 miles on them . . . I hope that they work out for me!

I still have the original BlowMax's (still mounted on the original wheels) that came on our Trail Runner.

Never had a blowout with them, but they did get pretty tore up when we had the axle problems and wheel bearing blowout.

My neighbor is going to buy them from me.

campfire7

Okay, the tire size is 225/75 r15'. This morning I went and talked with the tire dealership that I have dealt with for years he has always give good products, good service and good prices, I have no reason to Doubt him. He said that this is best kept secret in trailer tires right now. And the tire that he recommends is "Ironman" made by Hercules. I have read all of the tire post on this site and have not seen the name Ironman, just wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with this tire. And I greatly respect and welcome the opinions of everyone on this site.

jnbhobe

Hercules has always been a good tire, they are made by Sailun now and everyone says Sailuns have been great.

kowAlski631

:
Okay, the tire size is 225/75 r15'. This morning I went and talked with the tire dealership that I have dealt with for years he has always give good products, good service and good prices, I have no reason to Doubt him. He said that this is best kept secret in trailer tires right now. And the tire that he recommends is "Ironman" made by Hercules. I have read all of the tire post on this site and have not seen the name Ironman, just wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with this tire. And I greatly respect and welcome the opinions of everyone on this site.

Google Hercules Ironman. Some of the reviews mention traction issues in the rain. I'd do a lot more research. JMHO
MARTHA

Grey Ghost

I also had tow max tires and blew them so went with Michelin LT tires on my 5ver, haven't had a problem since. They come in your size and you will not regret your purchase.:cool: