Would like to install a leveling system on my Gateway

1tandem

We have a 3200RS & I would like information or advise on installing an auto electric leveling system. This is our 1st RV, love it, but auto leveling would be great.

jimtoo

We have a 3200RS & I would like information or advise on installing an auto electric leveling system. This is our 1st RV, love it, but auto leveling would be great.

HI 1tandem,

I am thinking about doing the same upgrade also. Please come back and let us know what you find and results. Might help others also.

Also be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Jim M

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Working on the new Lippert 3.0 Ground Control system now. I'll hopefully have some additional information after this weekend.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Although we don't have auto leveling, the Ground Control System is awesome. Not only for leveling but also tire changing and working on suspension.* The only issue we have ever had was when a leg got raised too high and jammed. A call to Lippert, and they had someone call me back who walked me through how to unjam the leg (easy enough a girl can do it). I have since marked on the leg where to stop retracting.

*With additional safety measures in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogie

I've been thinking of putting Ground Control on my Sundance as well. Keep us posted on your progress via this thread. Thanks. :)

JWalker

It is the 6pt system. I will be seeing the Lippert Rep this weekend. The 6 pt 3.0 system is new. At first it was thought that it could be self installed like the old 4 pt version. Now they are telling me that due to the complexity of the system, it needs to be installed by a approved tech. Probably like the hydraulic Level Up. I haven't moved on the issue because our trailer is still sitting in storage. But that changes this weekend. (Fingers crossed). Sounds like this system has the same features as the level Up. Auto rehitch memory. One touch auto level. But it now has a higher price tag to match.

Bones

It is the 6pt system. I will be seeing the Lippert Rep this weekend. The 6 pt 3.0 system is new. At first it was thought that it could be self installed like the old 4 pt version. Now they are telling me that due to the complexity of the system, it needs to be installed by a approved tech. Probably like the hydraulic Level Up. I haven't moved on the issue because our trailer is still sitting in storage. But that changes this weekend. (Fingers crossed). Sounds like this system has the same features as the level Up. Auto rehitch memory. One touch auto level. But it now has a higher price tag to match.

What complexities are they talking about? I don't see anything in the description that would make it difficult. It looked like the back plates bolted through the main frame. But please do come back and let us know. If I manage to save enough for it down the road I would like to make that upgrade.

JWalker

What complexities are they talking about? I don't see anything in the description that would make it difficult. It looked like the back plates bolted through the main frame. But please do come back and let us know. If I manage to save enough for it down the road I would like to make that upgrade.

The 4pt system is just that. Bolt on. But the 6pt system is welded to the frame like the Level Up system. Or this is what they first said. Now, it seems it might be different. I will know more on Saturday. We are hopefully moving forward on the system soon. As soon as I can get things set with installation. I would love to be able to do it myself. Save a few bucks. This system will really be nice for all the units that do not have the front hydaulic landing gear.

Bones

The 4pt system is just that. Bolt on. But the 6pt system is welded to the frame like the Level Up system. Or this is what they first said. Now, it seems it might be different. I will know more on Saturday. We are hopefully moving forward on the system soon. As soon as I can get things set with installation. I would love to be able to do it myself. Save a few bucks. This system will really be nice for all the units that do not have the front hydaulic landing gear.

Thanks for the info. I like the electric system. I do plan on saving up for this. :) In the meantime I may just add a few jack-stands to take out some bounce around the tires.

Crumgater

We added the electric 4pt ground control system last year. Haven't used it a lot yet, but so far, we LOVE it.
It took a little engineering to get the back support under the slide-out to fit where we needed it to, so we had some professional help on that leg, but the rest was a DIY install.

Another help to remove some bounce is a pair of X-Chocks - they lock the axles together, which helps a lot.

TravelTiger

X2 on the Ground Control 4 point! A fairly drama-free self-install is possible. What's not drama-free is when you misplace the remote! There is a corded back-up remote, and this works, but one person cannot do the leveling being tethered to the front of the unit. It becomes a more challenging 2-person job. Don't ask me how I know. :-/

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
X3 on the electric 4-point Ground Control. I keep the wireless remote in the console of the truck, so it is always on hand. If the battery dies, it can be plugged into the panel that replaced the OEM Jack switch panel. If all else fails, there is a corded backup controller that is plugged into the " brain" for the system. With it mounted on the front wall of the basement, near the ODS cargo door, I can still see the two Hoppe levels on the corner of the rig. But my primary level is a wireless electronic LVL-1 set, so I don't really need to see the spirit levels.

But it is a fairly easy, straightforward DIY installation if you have basic mechanical skills and tools. Unfortunately, the price has risen considerably since I bought mine from the original manufacturer.

TravelTiger

X3 on the electric 4-point Ground Control. I keep the wireless remote in the console of the truck, so it is always on hand.

John, that's where ours resided, but with the rig not moving for months and months, I think I put it somewhere for "safe keeping". Where, we cannot find. :-/

Rieco Titan is working with me to get a replacement remote. I'll report back once I know what they recommend.

Bones

I have the x-chocks and just finished the JT install. I need to tighten the brackets on the front landing gear and wear them in a bit. Any other suggestions on supporting the area around the wheels to cut out some more bounce? Like a jack or will a stablizer work there for a few years?

GWRam

Check out the Goshen Rally specials by Lippert. Leveling systems at Rally prices. And JT arms also.

//heartlandowners.org/rally/2015/Lippert_2015_Rally_Specials.pdf

Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John, that's where ours resided, but with the rig not moving for months and months, I think I put it somewhere for "safe keeping". Where, we cannot find. :-/

Rieco Titan is working with me to get a replacement remote. I'll report back once I know what they recommend.

Ah, Erika, a mind is a terrible thing to lose. Even worse if the remote goes with it. :)

JWalker

Just a FYI on those interested in purchasing the 4-pt ground control system. The owner of the service center I'm dealing with said Lippert has a new maximum trailer length of 34 feet for the 4-pt system. So, this morning, curiosity got the best of me. I placed a call to Lippert customer service and was put on hold a few times till I was given the answer of a maximum length of 31 feet for the 4-pt system. Everything above that length, they recommend the six point system. Just a heads up for anyone interested.

I know a lot of very satisfied people with the four point system on larger rigs. From what I hear, they have experienced little to no issues at all. I'm just relaying info as I get it.

danemayer

Just a FYI on those interested in purchasing the 4-pt ground control system. The owner of the service center I'm dealing with said Lippert has a new maximum trailer length of 34 feet for the 4-pt system. So, this morning, curiosity got the best of me. I placed a call to Lippert customer service and was put on hold a few times till I was given the answer of a maximum length of 31 feet for the 4-pt system. Everything above that length, they recommend the six point system. Just a heads up for anyone interested.

I know a lot of very satisfied people with the four point system on larger rigs. From what I hear, they have experienced little to no issues at all. I'm just relaying info as I get it.

Jamie, I know Lippert's marketing info recommends the 6 point vs 4 point Auto-leveling System for trailers over 31 feet. In your conversation with them, was their statement inclusive of the Ground Control systems?