Would you tow this with a 1 ton short box SRW?

NYSUPstater

On a typing roll this morning.

So my question is: would you tow a 43' 5er total GVW 16,600, advertised pin of 2880, UVW 14,900 w/ a 2024 GM 1 ton SRW, 4x4, CC, Short box, 6.6 gas?
My thinking is it's probly within the tow ratings albeit the max side of them BUT it would seem like the tail wagging the dog as well.

Kbvols

0320746d0c85aa6912a8d4fc10bf2b21.jpg

Spec’s for GM 3500 gas 6.6 crew cab 2wd, 4wd is 18,300 max Denali drops to 17,900lbs. I have been towing right at 16,000lbs with 2014 3500 SRW, CC, duramax for 8 years.

Weight would not cause me as much concern as the gas engine would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dahillbilly

with Durmax YES loaded steer axle 5120 rear axle 7500 trailer axles12840 total 25460
empty 5160 4200 9360
short box High Country crew cab 4x4 no problems so far I am running disc brakes on the 5th wheel toy hauler

CDN

B and B
I towed a 18,000 Landmark with a SRW F 350 for 4 years. loaded weight was under 16,000 lbs and measured pin weight was 2800 lbs. My CCC is 3, 560 lbs. I had not problems with the Louisville, at 44 ft no I would not.

thewanderingeight

That’s a lot of RV for a SRW. The question isn’t really can the truck move it, it’s can it stop it reliably, or how comfortable is it going to feel when you get hit hard by a crosswind in the rain?

I guess it would also come down to your usage as well. If you are only planning on shorter trips closer to your home vs going cross country might be a factor. We take our rig all over the country, so I opted for a DRW setup to make sure I never had to worry about handling in unfavorable weather conditions. I also went with diesel so I could use the truck lanes!

I am fortunate though as I only have to use the truck for towing, all of our traveling once we drop the RV off at the site is done by a van. I would not want a dually as a daily driver. Darn thing doesn’t fit anywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoefler

I wouldn't tow it with a short bed truck. Can't get the center of the hitch far enough forward for proper weight destitution. Can the truck pull it and carry it? Yes. Can it do it properly and safely? No! You won't be able to get enough weight on the steer axle to be safe. No, air bags or any other crutch will fix it, just make it look like it has. A sliding hitch would be your only option in an attempt to get the weight forward enough to make it safe

PapaDirt

On a typing roll this morning.

So my question is: would you tow a 43' 5er total GVW 16,600, advertised pin of 2880, UVW 14,900 w/ a 2024 GM 1 ton SRW, 4x4, CC, Short box, 6.6 gas?
My thinking is it's probly within the tow ratings albeit the max side of them BUT it would seem like the tail wagging the dog as well.
I would not with a gas engine. I tow our 3611 40’ 17,500 ish # with a srw Chevy 3500 HD diesel with no issues whatsoever. Sure it’s not quite as stable as a dually but nothing that feels unsafe or anything like that. I should mention I have airbags installed on the rear which really makes a huge difference.

LBR

I wouldn't tow that trailer with anything less than a Class 4-9 MD or HD Truck. Class 1-3's are simply LD pickups.

Dahillbilly

I wouldn't tow it with a short bed truck. Can't get the center of the hitch far enough forward for proper weight destitution. Can the truck pull it and carry it? Yes. Can it do it properly and safely? No! You won't be able to get enough weight on the steer axle to be safe. No, air bags or any other crutch will fix it, just make it look like it has. A sliding hitch would be your only option in an attempt to get the weight forward enough to make it safe
see my post above(#7) only loosing 40 lbs on my steer axle when towing with short box 3500 diesel & this is without a sliding hitch.