Yet another TowMax downfall

diamondl

Well I thought I was smarter than all of the rest of you. I read all of the BAD about TowMax, but I keep them at 80 psi and never tow over 60 or 62. My Ford measures the mileage on the BigHorn (6970). I should be able to get this one more trip out of them, I thought. On Interstate 10 with traffic moving about 75 miles an hour past me while I called Good Sam (they performed just about like the tires, no one came) I changed the tire myself. 125 miles later the second tire went. At least this one didn't rip the side of trailer off, like the first one did, but this time I have no spare. Again I call Good Sam (no one came this time either), so this time it's hauling two bad tires and one bent rim into town (now it's 6:00 PM after a three hour wait for Good Sam). Finally by 8:30 I get to the campground so that I can change the other two tomorrow (turns out the third tire was separating as well). Well at 6:00 in Blythe Ca all you can buy is Chinese tires, so I will probably go through this once more any way. One would think Heartland would stand up for this error in their judgement, but I haven't even asked just yet (like I said I read all the other stuff).
If you (like me) think you can outsmart this tire, DON'T. Just get them off before you have to replace the side of your outfit.
diamondl

Lynn1130

Sorry to hear that. Those of us who have been there know and feel your pain. Heartland will refer you to the supplier (probably TBC Corp) who will refer you to Dynamic Tire Company in Brampton Ontario Canada. I hope you kept both tires because they will want those and the one that show separation. Send them all to them (they will send prepaid UPS labels) and make a claim for the tires and damage to the rig. Don't back down. You will get a boat load of "user error" from them. Just keep after them. I suggest calling Gabriel Davidson at 1-905-595-5558 X507 at Dynamic Tire(I hope she is still there as that info is a little old now) and get the necessary forms and the procedure they will want you to follow.

brianlajoie

Bummer about your tires. I have about 2.5 weeks and 750 miles before I replace mine. How old were you tires? Did you also you a TPMS?

jeffdee

Well I thought I was smarter than all of the rest of you. I read all of the BAD about TowMax, but I keep them at 80 psi and never tow over 60 or 62. My Ford measures the mileage on the BigHorn (6970). I should be able to get this one more trip out of them, I thought. On Interstate 10 with traffic moving about 75 miles an hour past me while I called Good Sam (they performed just about like the tires, no one came) I changed the tire myself. 125 miles later the second tire went. At least this one didn't rip the side of trailer off, like the first one did, but this time I have no spare. Again I call Good Sam (no one came this time either), so this time it's hauling two bad tires and one bent rim into town (now it's 6:00 PM after a three hour wait for Good Sam). Finally by 8:30 I get to the campground so that I can change the other two tomorrow (turns out the third tire was separating as well). Well at 6:00 in Blythe Ca all you can buy is Chinese tires, so I will probably go through this once more any way. One would think Heartland would stand up for this error in their judgement, but I haven't even asked just yet (like I said I read all the other stuff).
If you (like me) think you can outsmart this tire, DON'T. Just get them off before you have to replace the side of your outfit.
diamondl

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I was lucky to catch my bad tire before it damage the rv. I just received my settlement check today from TowMax. It was for only one tire that failed. I "ate" the other three tires and I'm not looking back. By the way, my tire dealer said that ALL trailer tires are Chinese made. Maybe, maybe not...but I would be willing to bet more than 90% are Chinese made.

bobowill

I have had blow out with 4 of my towmax. I am going to go to light truck tires, I don't need a lot a carry capacity. One of the blow outs did some damage to the side of my bighorn which the insurance company covered.

Lynn1130

Brian, It sounds like you are not familiar with TowMax tires. Do a search here and I think you might decide that 2.5 weeks is too long to drive on them. Age makes little difference. Mine went at under 3000 miles. And TPMS systems are worthless with the circumstances that these tires fail. You are living on borrowed time.

brianlajoie

I am familar with the tires. That is why I have an appointment to replace them. I will be driving 750 miles to the shop in 2.5 weeks. It is a risk, but only three days of travel. If I could wish the new tires on my rig while it is in storage, I would...

ILH

We really need to have a gathering of Blowmax victims at the Goshen Rally. Probably too many people would show up! :cool:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Well, we haven't had a Blowmax issue, even though we still have them on our trailer, but here we sit in the parking lot of a Phoenix, AZ RV dealership with a blown out wheel bearing on our trailer and missing the AZ HOC Rally.

To make matters even worse, the extended warranty is refusing to cover our trailer, which has less than 5000 miles on it.

What a waste of money that was...and shame on me for believing a word my dealership told me!

Jim.Allison

I went to a dealer near the factory and picked up my Big Country. I drove it back from Ohio to San Antonio Texas. Then 60 miles into my very first trip I lost a TowMax tire. $2000 in damage (insured) and a ruined weekend. I now run the G114s and a TPMS and I have not had a tire worry since.

FiremanBill

When I had all my issues I complained on their facebook page... Too many people saw it before they had a chance to delete it. Surprisingly it is still there to this day. They were quick to settle with me due to the public complaint.

brianlajoie

Brian, It sounds like you are not familiar with TowMax tires. Do a search here and I think you might decide that 2.5 weeks is too long to drive on them. Age makes little difference. Mine went at under 3000 miles. And TPMS systems are worthless with the circumstances that these tires fail. You are living on borrowed time.
I made it to Coleman Tx and replaced the Tow Max tires. I had no problems on the way there. I got a good price on the tires. The trade in for the tires was way above my expectations. The shop also added a shot of grease to the wheels too when I asked them to. I would highly recommend them for tire service.

caissiel

Did they rotate the wheels. Just adding some grease to the hubs is a no no unless it's done properly. Every shoot of grease has potential of ruining the seals and the brake lining. No one touches my hubs period.

'Lil Guy'

I agree with Jim on this. The E Z Lube hubs are designed to purge the system. As you add the grease and it strikes the back plate, iit will force out some old grease back toward the front and continues till you see the good stuff coming out. Clean up the excess and good to go. They have a video on YouTube for this on Dexter axles with E Z Lube feature. I'm not familiar with some of the high powered grease machines that run off pneumatic pressure. I'm getting ready to purge my brgs when I get it home in a couple of weeks. I'll post back as to how many of my seals I blow out. I'm sure everyone is aware that the grease you pump in displaces the old gresse and the grease you see coming out of the front is not due to a blown seal. If that old grease couldn't escape during the purge, then maybe you could blow a seal with enough pressure.

danemayer

I've seen plenty of posts about seals that leaked without putting additional pressure on them by using the EZ Lube feature, including one of mine.

I also remember seeing a post with drawings and discussion as to why EZ Lube can't properly lube the bearings, even if everything goes right.

Heartland started using Dexter EZ Lube axles around August 2010 on Landmarks. Anyone out there been regularly using the EZ Lube with good results for 3 or 4 years?

Jim.Allison

If a seal fails from lubing through the EZ lube system then there are underlying cause. The volume that can be extruded through the system by a hand operated grease gun is easily dispersed past the inner bearing into the hub then past the outer bearing. Notwithstanding the seal failure, I would like to know, for my own comfort why the EZ-lube cannot properly lubricate bearings? Could you locate that post?

I've seen plenty of posts about seals that leaked without putting additional pressure on them by using the EZ Lube feature, including one of mine.

I also remember seeing a post with drawings and discussion as to why EZ Lube can't properly lube the bearings, even if everything goes right.

Heartland started using Dexter EZ Lube axles around August 2010 on Landmarks. Anyone out there been regularly using the EZ Lube with good results for 3 or 4 years?