Lights getting brighter

sjrellis

I know I've read this on here before, but I cannot find it. Jim was talking to another camper today and he was told that lights getting brighter meant something was wrong. I'm sure I've read on here that it is normal and the explanation why it happens. So, what is the deal?

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
I know I've read this on here before, but I cannot find it. Jim was talking to another camper today and he was told that lights getting brighter meant something was wrong. I'm sure I've read on here that it is normal and the explanation why it happens. So, what is the deal?

The only answer I can think of would be your voltage regulator is not "regulating" properly so it is putting out more than the typical +/- 12VDC.

Put a meter on it and see what the VDC reading is.

branson4020

Icantre Member
This is perfectly normal behavior when you are plugged in to shore power. The power converter (the gadget that turns 110V AC into nominal 12V DC) in your coach is also a smart 3-stage battery charger. That means that at any given time, it may actually be putting out 13.2V, 13.6V or 14.4V, depending on what it "thinks it needs to do" to take care of your battery. When it switches voltages, you will notice the lights dim or brighten a bit.

imchud

This is perfectly normal behavior when you are plugged in to shore power. The power converter (the gadget that turns 110V AC into nominal 12V DC) in your coach is also a smart 3-stage battery charger. That means that at any given time, it may actually be putting out 13.2V, 13.6V or 14.4V, depending on what it "thinks it needs to do" to take care of your battery. When it switches voltages, you will notice the lights dim or brighten a bit.

Thanks for that info:eek:... As I started to read this post I felt the beads of sweat building up, because my 3385 B/H does that when pluged in, thank god it's supposed to do that...

Tommy

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Does the converter (Using onboard power 12vdc) use the battery like a car drawing its power directly from the battery? The converter does have three outputs but your battery depending upon its state of charge AND HEALTH should put out a constant flow that should NOT change enough to notice lights bulbs brightening when power is provided to the battery.

I have never seen this in my units! It is like a car with a dying/aging battery: on idle it has one brightness, now rev the engine and watch them brighten. This means the battery needs replacing due to dead cells!

deee2

I don't think you should see your lights going brighter. We noticed that on our way home from a month's vacation. Now we were gone 3 days and it seems our converter is out. Hubby tested the batteries and says they're fine, but we have no lights, etc. unless hooked up to shore power. Maybe we had a warning and didn't realize it?

wdk450

I don't think you should see your lights going brighter. We noticed that on our way home from a month's vacation. Now we were gone 3 days and it seems our converter is out. Hubby tested the batteries and says they're fine, but we have no lights, etc. unless hooked up to shore power. Maybe we had a warning and didn't realize it?

If you ONLY have 12 volt power when plugged in, then the power from your battery is NOT getting to the 12 volt circuits (assuming the battery IS producing power) your power convertor IS WORKING.
I would suggest you check out the following weblink on RV 12 volt systems. One note, it was written in 1999, and today's current generation converters are also 3 stage battery chargers, despite what the webpage says about convertors. Everything else is pretty good.

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

Pulltab

Yes it is typical to lights to brighten unexpectedly as said when the charger kicks in. If your uncomfortable with it check the voltage to reassure yourself all is well.

Dee, I just posted on your other thread, I agree with WDK, your converter is working and you said battery had power. You have a missing connection somewhere. Especially if it had previously been working. Check the cables. If you had been putting some stuff away in the bay and maybe hit the cable and it was not crimped tight, might have pulled it loose.