Ceiling fans?

davelinde

When we ordered our 3210 we asked about ceiling fans and were told none were available. After a year of use I am all the more convinced that a few well placed fans would really keep the rig comfy without resorting to AC...

I just noticed that ceiling fans are offered in the Bighorn... so what gives? Toyhauler folk don't get hot? Any suggestions on ways to retrofit fans into a Cyclone? I know DW would love them (and so would I).

porthole

Retired
Ditto for us. Always thought ceiling fans in 5th wheel trailers was a little out there - until .......................

Pulltab

They probably figured toy hauler people were out on their toys all the time LOL! :p I would say you could add your own, but if the wiring is not run you have an issue :(

davelinde

I contemplated just adding a small residential fan but didn't pursue it yet.

Not only would running the wiring be a problem, but getting it mounted to solid supports could be hard too. I've been hoping I'll see a turnkey solution for this because I'm not up for cutting holes in the ceiling only to find out something can't be done...

I just did two fans in a condo for someone... at least there I can just spackle when done.

tmcran

We have a ceiling fan in our Sundance. However, it does not really put out much air. I have it going in the correct direction and on high you can just feel it. It will not make up the diffenence for a 2nd A/C IMO.

grizzlygiant

My ceiling fan has a box recessed into the ceiling so that the blades are very near the ceiling to allow the slide to come in without hitting them.

Bogger

My ceiling fan has a box recessed into the ceiling so that the blades are very near the ceiling to allow the slide to come in without hitting them.

Precisely why they don't move as much air as you would hope. I also have that set up, and on High you can feel a slight draft. You can hear it much more than you can feel it! :)

Jimmyt5

I believe that the paddle fans are not worth anything. I have changed direction, speed and tried anything I could think of and the amount of air is still almost zero...

Peteandsharon

Ditto to all the comments about very little air flow. My Bighorn has the living room fan that sits up way too close to the ceiling. Pretty much useless. I've stopped using it. 8 inch portable fans do a much better job.

jbeletti

The ceiling fan/light in my Landmark is semi-recessed and the blades are maybe 10" from the ceiling.

Any lower and the blades would hit the horizontal slide fascia when the rooms are pulled in.

So in my case, the question would be "is it worth having at all?"

I say yes. It at least stirs up the air in the upper strata of my living room and I do use it on mornings where I am using the fireplace for heat and at times, on days when I am running the air conditioning.

For sure I would not want to give up the extra lighting that is on the fan.

So, yeah, they're not super effective as fans but I'd rather not give mine up.

As for adding one after the fact - I'd say this would be a fairly challenging job:

• Need to pull 110 VAC to that area of the roof
  • Need to obtain and install the plastic recess
Neither of these would be a simple matter. And the recess, as simple as it may sound to install, would have to be secured in such a way that the load of a spinning fan could be adequately supported.

Can this be done at the time of build in a Cyclone? I'd don't see why not. If one is willing to pay to have it done and if the plant has the time to do it during the normal production run - it could happen. In this case, when an order is placed, the dealer needs to contact the their Heartland Rep to see if the plant is willing to do it and at what retail cost.

My 9 cents.

Jim

grizzlygiant

I believe that the paddle fans are not worth anything. I have changed direction, speed and tried anything I could think of and the amount of air is still almost zero...

All fans are not equal. The one I had im my Bighorn was next to worthless but the one I now have in my Sundance is great. Is it the fan or the installation...who knows?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
When we're parked, our ceiling fan runs 24/7 on low. I can feel the air move while sitting at our desk/tv slide. On high, my back get cold. Well maybe not that cold, but I can certainly feel it.;) I'm glad we have it. I also think for mounting one, the recess fits between the joists so support should be there. The only issue would become wiring. A challenge but I'd bet it's doable.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
In reading the owners manual it says to turn on the ceiling fan and using the air conditioning as this assists the ac in air circulation. We almost always have ours on hot or cold as it keeps the air circulating.

bill40

You may want to check out Harbor Breeze at your local dealer. They make a small fan that has two fans one at each end and could be mounted so that the slides clear them when in. Not sure about how to mount in a Cyclone but it works in our BC due to the orginial being resessed and they move a lot more air than the factory.
I would check the distance with the slides closed before trying any install . Good Luck.