Washer Hookup Odor

Matthias

Fulltimer
Hello everyone!

I have a question as to the plumbing of the washer/dryer hookup of my BC 3250. I have very bad sewer/plumbing smell on hot days from that connector in the closet.

I checked other threads on here and I did re-fill the trap with water, but it still stinks very bad. That is even after emptying all the tanks and using some gray water odor control liquid.

Which tank is the washer drain connected to? It almost seems like it might go straight to the sewer outlet, perhaps leaving the odor in from the sewer itself. Is that possible?

Any insight on how to solve the issue would be great.

Thanks,
Matthias

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Matthias, I don't know if that drain has a trap or not. You might try either capping that pipe or putting a vent cap check valve on it. It allows air to go into the tank when it's being draine but air won't escape from the tank through that pipe.

B

bwwalczak

The washer drain vents through the roof inside the closet wall. I would make sure this vent wasn’t missed. (check for cap on roof at front right corner of trailer, just behind rear cap). It then drains directly into the grey 1 tank. The tank is vented through the roof off of the tub/ lav drain.

If there is water in p-trap, you shouldn’t get any odor through the drain pipe. That’s why I wonder about the vent inside the wall. Is the odor actually coming from wall?

This is very technical and we should bring Heartland service in on this. Do you have their phone number?

I just installed a washer/dryer in our BC 3250 and have noticed a sewer smell since using the first time. I did look behind washer and found a removable panel. There is a trap there. I also used plumbers putty to seal drain where I inserted pipe from washer. I thought it was black tank but after draining it still smells.

Matthias

Fulltimer
Thanks for the responses. I think I found the culprit with your information. I had no idea there was supposed to be a roof vent. It appears to vent into my closet wall. Here are some photos:

1) p-trap. This pipe goes up to where the washer would be hooked up. I filled it with water and it does have a cap on top as well:
1.jpg

2) To the right behind the wood covering the drain goes down and another pipe goes up (vent I assume?).
2.jpg

3) This is the top of the pipe that goes up. There are two small holes on both sides on that cap. Perhaps this is where the odor escapes? I can't really see there because of the big wooden cover of the whole thing of which I don't know how to get it off.
3.jpg

Did they really forget something there? Can I just tape it or is my BC going to blow up if I do? If you think that's a bigger deal I sure can call Heartland service, should have their number in the manual.

Thanks,
Matthias

B

bwwalczak

This could be a problem with your anti-siphon vent. Vents are only supposed to let air in, not out.

Options are, you could replace the vent, or vent through the roof. Which model did you purchase?

Matthias

Fulltimer
Hi Bryan,

so this cap is an anti-siphon vent? Is that a standard item I can get at a local home appliance store? If so, I see that I can get a replacement.

Do you mean my BC model? I have a BC 3250TS, model year 2007.

Matthias

Matthias,
I didn't look as far in as you did but what I did see looks like yours. I also have a 2009 BC 3250ts. May have to call heartland or e-mail them for guidance.

Matthias

Fulltimer
Well, I called customer support earlier today and left a message and am awaiting a callback.

I took the anti-siphon valve out and looked at it. It is obviously designed to suck in air if necessary but not let any out. I inspected the piping that goes from the hookup through the big storage compartment and everything looks proper.

Perhaps because of the intense temperatures we have in AZ right now the pressure gets so high that the anti-siphon vent actually lets air out since it looks like it has just a very thin membrane sealing it.

I'm tempted to just replace it with a lid but who knows what that would do to my plumbing. It does appear that it is only necessary if the drain is being used by a washer, but the fact that it seems to vent air to the outside may indicate otherwise.

Hopefully Heartland will shed some light on this.

Matthias

Fulltimer
Well, I'm no longer holding my breath regarding that callback. Good thing it's not an emergency. If anyone can shed some light on this, please do so.

Btw. I don't know if the problem is related or not, but the AC vents in the bathroom and bedroom also emit the same smell on hot days. I thought the AC is only circulating air from in the living room?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just a thought. Do you have your gray tank drains open or closed? If they are open they will sometimes let odors into the RV.

Matthias

Fulltimer
Just a thought. Do you have your gray tank drains open or closed? If they are open they will sometimes let odors into the RV.

I have all tank drains closed and I'm experimenting today with disconnecting from the sewer altogether, just to make sure.

I did receive a call this morning and that anti-siphon valve was determined to be the only possible culprit, especially since it is not easy to see if it is broken or not. So I will head out later and see if I can get a new one at a plumbing store.

porthole

Retired
Btw. I don't know if the problem is related or not, but the AC vents in the bathroom and bedroom also emit the same smell on hot days. I thought the AC is only circulating air from in the living room?

That sounds like something in the duct work that does not belong there - like a dead mouse..................

On very hot days when the AC is running can it suck the odors from the roof vents into the AC, if so will those wind deflectors help. I am having the same problems and mine seems to come from the kitchen sink

Matthias

Fulltimer
I put a new anti-siphon filter and sealed the cabinet with foam rubber but it didn't seem to make much difference. I learned that the problem is worst if I do dishes, so I refrain from using the sink now during the heat of the day, trying to leave the hot stinky air in the pipes undisturbed.

I don't know how the AC could suck the air from the roof vents since it is only supposed to circulate the air inside the unit.

From my phone conversation with the Heartland person it appears that the main problem is that running the AC and fans in the unit creates low air pressure inside which causes some of the high pressure air from the pipes to be sucked inside.

Anyway, I won't bother with this anymore and just do dishes or drain the tanks in the cooler evening or morning.

porthole

Retired
From my phone conversation with the Heartland person it appears that the main problem is that running the AC and fans in the unit creates low air pressure inside which causes some of the high pressure air from the pipes to be sucked inside.

That does not make sense.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I have found that if I leave the grey water valves closed this really diminishes the odor that comes into the unit. I just had a second air conditioner installed and the odor is 100 times worse than it was. We would only get odor if I ran the fantastic fans, now it is constant. Closing the valves really helped. I have to dump them every couple of days, but that is better than the odor. I also turn off both a/c units when I dump and I don't seem to get the odor.
Fred