Washer Hookup Odor

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
Having the valves open at all times prevents the tanks from cleaning themselves out. The tanks will dry out and will really start to stink causing even more of a bad odor to circulate out of the vents. It is vital to keep the drains closed until the tanks are full--then dump.

porthole

Retired
You leave the gray open all the time then you are going to get the campground sewer gas.

Maybe - leaving the valve open, allowing your tanks to be at the atmosphere of the campground sewer system is allowing air to be "pushed" into your tanks and maybe drying out the "P-traps".

Just a thought.

I mostly leave mine closed. The new trailer has valve that operate so smoothly that it is a non issue.

Maybe leave the 1 gray tank open during laundry though, that way there are no surprises in the shower - or wherever the gray will "show" that it is full.

I have found that if I leave the grey water valves closed this really diminishes the odor that comes into the unit.

That sounds like a "dry P-trap

I just had a second air conditioner installed and the odor is 100 times worse than it was. We would only get odor if I ran the fantastic fans, now it is constant.

Anyway to easily check to see if they broke your bathroom plumbing vent while installing the AC?

Matthias

Fulltimer
I just wanted to post a quick update on this issue.

Changing the anti-siphon valve made no difference whatsoever. So I installed a Cyclone vent for the kitchen gray tank which also did not make much difference. But as I did this I noticed that the black water vent is actually at the front of the trailer, about where the closet starts. I had never realized that.

So I figured it must be black water tank odor that comes in from the front somehow. :eek:
So I installed another cyclone vent on that outlet and it appears the issue has been resolved, at least I had no problems since. I still don't quite understand why but I am so glad it's gone.

Matthias

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Could you take a picture of your roof? The only vent I have in the front is the washer vent through the roof.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We've used our W/D a number of times and have not experienced any odor problems. I open Gray #1 when the W/D is running, but keep it closed the rest of the time.

Matthias

Fulltimer
Could you take a picture of your roof? The only vent I have in the front is the washer vent through the roof.

Here you go:
vents.jpg

Perhaps I'm wrong as to what the front vent is venting, but it sure is the stinkiest vent. I still don't know which tank the washer hookup is draining into. Basically the two cyclone vents are now on the two worst smelling vents and I still had no problem since. Temperatures have come down a bit too though.

Matthias

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Well, I had to go out and make sure they didnt do to my trailer what they did to yours. You have a valve in the wall that if it is working properly should allow air into the drain as the washer drains. This prevents several things including burbing and air lock. Inside the valve should be a ball or flap that will open with negative pressure.
It will automatically close if there is positive pressure.

What I dont understand is why you have a valve in the wall and then another through the roof vent. I have never seen a setup like that-but things are different with trailers vs. houses.
If it was mine, I would make sure the roof vent is hooked up to the drain system.
Then I would put a plug on your valve in the wall.

I wonder if you arent experiencing negative pressure in the drain pipe due to wind etc, and it is opening up the valve in the wall allowing the odor to come out of the anti syphon valve. Air flow accross the top of the pipe will cause negative pressure in the whole system. By putting the cyclone over the vent you have changed the way the air goes accross the top of the vent thus elimanating the negative pressure. Actually in post 18 Heartland was on the right track as far as pressures in the pipes. I dont think the A/C is causing the problem, only recirculating the already existing odor.
If the A/C is drawing the odor from the outside, it could only be because the box in side the A/C is leaking bertween the return and output box.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here you go:
vents.jpg

Perhaps I'm wrong as to what the front vent is venting, but it sure is the stinkiest vent. I still don't know which tank the washer hookup is draining into. Basically the two cyclone vents are now on the two worst smelling vents and I still had no problem since. Temperatures have come down a bit too though.

Matthias

Maybe it's the way I'm seeing the photo, but when I researched those vents, they were supposed to be mounted in place of the vent cap, not next to it. The venturi effect of wind through it is what draws the odor up and away. Sitting next to the original vent cap...useless.

Matthias

Fulltimer
Maybe it's the way I'm seeing the photo, but when I researched those vents, they were supposed to be mounted in place of the vent cap, not next to it. The venturi effect of wind through it is what draws the odor up and away. Sitting next to the original vent cap...useless.

Haha, they sure are mounted as intended. There are 4 vents on the roof, two of which are now equipped with a cyclone.