Clothes Pins on the Gutters?????

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
We were at a CG this weekend that had quite a few seasonal sites, one of which was a Big Horn, and I noticed they had wooden close pins clipped on to the gutters..... I thought it was odd. But after further investigation (owner was not there) I noticed that there was no to little black marks from run off...... hmmmm.

So, do any of you use this "gutter extension" method and could it withstand a little trailering?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I have in the past with our other 5're but don't with the currect BC cuz we now keep it in a shed when not using it. Ha - get this, we bought our current house because of the cover 35' shed the previous owner had built with the house. Funny when you go house shopping with the trailer in mind instead of the house layout. Getting back to the clothes pins, yes they worked well even though they looked funny. The only problem with them is sometimes they would blow off traveling down the road which would require replacing them ever so often. Just keep a bag in stock.

SmokeyBare

Del,

I added Gutter Extensions from Camping World... but I still felt they were a little too short so I attached some clear vinyl tubing. I used pop rivets & caulking to make the attachment to the plastic gutter extensions. They do work well but I still get some streaks down the side of our BigHorn but not nearly as bad as it was before the modification.

timdebs

I have not heard of that before, so let me get this straight, all I have to do is put wooden clothes pins on my gutter spouts and this helps eliminate black streaks? I assume the water runs over the clothes pin serving the same purpose as the gutter extension?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
With our other campers, we had installed the clip-on gutter extensions but would still get the streaks. The wooden pins on the end of the extensions seem to guide more water further away from the sides so we didn't have as much streaking.

timdebs

I have learned something new, now people will be able to walk by my camper and think that sure is a funny place to hang clothes.

davebennington

I cut a piece of 3/4 pvc pipe in half about 4 to 5 inches long split it down the length and use 1 sheet metal screw to hold it place, it diverts the water way out past the trailer side. cheap and easy and dosn't come off when traveling.

Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I used the gutter extentions, but sealed them to the old gutter with caulking. I found they work fine, but you have to seal them to the old ones. Otherwise the water will still run out between the two of them. BTW, you can get them a Wally World cheaper than CW. $5.00 for 4. My 2cts. Bob:D

Motair

We used the wooden clothes pins on our previous 5th wheel, and are using them on our Big Horn, and it does help. We'll loose a pin now and then, and if we do, I have handy supply ready.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We used clothes pins and now have the gutter extensions. I think the clothes pins worked better. Hey, maybe I need to put clothes pins on the gutter extensions.

SilverRhino

Simple is Often Best!

Once again.....the HL Forum comes through!!! I have what I consider to be short gutter extensions on the BC.....looked at some of the clip on extensions but they seemed awful flimsy and were rather pricey.

So as usual.....I've been over thinking the problem.....some sort of detachable tubing that runs to the ground???? NOW I find out that a couple of clothes pins will probably do what I want.....leaving for the mountains of New Mexico in a few days....will definitely try out the clothes pin idea! Thanks!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I cut a piece of 3/4 pvc pipe in half about 4 to 5 inches long split it down the length and use 1 sheet metal screw to hold it place, it diverts the water way out past the trailer side. cheap and easy and dosn't come off when traveling.

Dave

Hey Dave,

We can use the clothes pins to hang the banner at the rally and kill two birds with one stone!;)

nscaler2

.....leaving for the mountains of New Mexico in a few days....will definitely try out the clothes pin idea! Thanks!

What part of the mountains in New Mexico are you going to. We are currently in Chama New Mexico. The home of the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad (Originally it was the Denver and Rio Grande Narrow Gauge Railroad).
If you are going to be in our neck of the woods we are in the Rio Chama RV park, just north of the railroad station. Stop on by.

Boca_Shuffles

Great information, but please remove before traveling down the road. I have enough chips in my windshield already. Just a thought.:)

porthole

Retired
Bought a bag today while grocery shopping.........................

Bag of 50 for 3.50.

Need 6 on a Cyclone

Last edited:

Northern Virginia

Dave

Dave. I love your idea and I want to copy it:D. Do you a have a picture so I get it right?

Thanks- John

Netem

When I ran the clothes pins on the old 5ver I think most were lost when hitting tree limbs and not just blowing off on the hyway.

davebennington

Newbie,

I will try to get a picture and post it. One suggestion use stainless panhead screws no rust and it helps when you have to take them off to put on the cover.

Dave

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I use plastic clothes pins. Get a bag of them at the Dollar store, so you have replacements when needed

SilverRhino

What part of the mountains in New Mexico are you going to. We are currently in Chama New Mexico. The home of the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad (Originally it was the Denver and Rio Grande Narrow Gauge Railroad).
If you are going to be in our neck of the woods we are in the Rio Chama RV park, just north of the railroad station. Stop on by.

Unfortunately, we are not going to be in your area :( We will be in the vicinity of Cloudcroft......nice easy drive from the South Plains of Texas (Lubbock). Maybe we'll see you somewhere else down the road.....safe trip!