The Sad Story of Larryheadhunter's Totaled Big Horn

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Thank you Floyd for that pertinent information. My hope is just to recover and go out RVing again. This surgery was awesome as far as taking away the shooting pains down my legs. I am bummed that I totaled my Big Horn, but I am just making the best out of it I can. Tomorrow Bob, Patty, Debbi and I are going to empty the Big Horn of all its contents so that they can send it to the salvage yard. Bye Bye Big Horn.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
OH Floyd, ROTFLOL.... Lar, heed his words. It won't happen if you do the pull test, remember...Debbi made you write it a 1000 times?? But if you forget...the new Chebby will be across the CG in a cloud of tire smoke before the LM hits the ground with you pinned to the seat. This is a promise/ threat....if you do it again...I will scratch it in your forehead with a rusty nail...GOT IT???

Larryheadhunter

Me thinks I will be buying a bed saver just so my good buddies will cut me some slack. But, when you really think about it, let's see. I lost a 2009 Big Horn 3400RE and a 2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty, and gained a 2012 Heartland Landmark, and a 2011 Chevy, Dodge, or Ford One ton, most likely the chebby, and hmm........ I think I landed squarely on my 2 front feet. So laugh pals, as I sip my martini, while the Auto leveler perfectly sets up my brand new Landmark. Do I hear a bit of jealousy or is that a little envy?

Larryheadhunter

We had the dismantling and funeral of my Heartland Big Horn 3400RE yesterday, and it was a sad, but hot day. I want to thank Bob and Patty for spending the day with us and helping us pack up everything. I don't know about any of you ever having to empty your rig so that it go to the salvage heap, but it is a bittersweet day, with all the memories of our wonderful time in our Big Horn. If anyone wants our 4 G rated Goodyear 614's, please let me know asap as they are taking the rig to the junk heap on Tuesday. All you have to do is replace them with your Chinese tires, and walk away with $1200 worth of tires.

flamingknitter

Wow!! Larry, I have been off the forum for too long!! Sorry to hear about all of this but glad it has a silver lining. Have you started shopping for the new Landmark yet? Those automatic levelers sound nice. I am sure you will keep us posted. Don't forget Dave Smith in Idaho for your truck - they have Dodge and Chevy products and saved me a significant amount of money. They will even install your hitch before you get there. Hmmm....you could pick up your new truck and then swing by the dealership and get the new trailer and be off for parts unknown. I must admit, I am a little jealous. Get better soon.

wdk450

Larry:
I would LOVE to have those tires, but can't get away from Sacramento to get it done. Why don't you put out a quick Craig's list ad and make some money off them??? Or get a set of tires from a recycler

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Hi Larry, yes it was hot yesterday. Your welcome, we were glad to help. BTW, The OL' Horns 1/2 time oven will live to camp another day. Right lar?? You can come and visit it anytime.

billd

Glad you are recovering and it worked out for your Bighorn that it is being covered by the insurance. Keep recovering from surgery, it is not always fun, but the outcome is normally better.

Larryheadhunter

Thanks everyone for all your support, and it was my pleasure to give a little back to my mentor, Bob, who will now enjoy a free Goodyear tire and micro/convection oven. And thanks to Patty for helping as well. I would have loved to give away the other 4 tires but no one was quick enough to grab them. Oh, well, as long as the rig is safely in the salvage yard, and my recovery is continuing, what more could I ask for? Insurance is sweet is all I can say. LOL Now since I am laid up, it's kind of fun to try to find the right rig and tow truck for next year, when I am able to travel again and enjoy the fruits of our sweet country. Amen.

I apologize for bringing to life an old thread, but I was just wondering what attributed to the incident? I didn't see a definitive answer in whether the trailersaver hitch actually failed or if it just wasn't competely locked in, etc? Hope you have had a full recovery and are back on the road.

Larryheadhunter

Hi Robert,
I thought I made it clear that the hitch failure was totally operator error. Just read my original post or Cranky Bob's
numerous comments. Floyd had most generously installed an old Trailersaver TS3 hitch and I failed to completly secure the locking bar.My bad. Human error. It was an unfortunate incident but fortunatrly my insurance company generously
reimbursed me.

My personal situation has been more complicated. Unfortunately, my 2nd back surgery, a double lumbar fusion ultimately
failed to fuse, so in desperation I detoxed off all pain meds and in Feb 2011underwent a a 360 degree stomach/back
double lumbar fusion. It appears that I am slowly but surely fusing and up walking and RVing a little. Hopefully by
Spring 2012, I will have minimal pain and be able to resume my life after 2all years in bed. A good, caring Heartland friend
started a Non-RV thread in this forum July 2010 called "Larryheadhunter is being operated on" and has been viewed more than an amazing 14,000 views. I honestly feel blessed that my Heartland family has been so supportive.

Hey Larry,

Sorry, I guess I just didn't see it in the thread, but I'm glad insurance took care of you. I am inclined to ask who your insurance is with, I generally have a lack of faith that my (or any) insurance company is going to actually do the right thing when the time comes.

Anyhow, I am very sorry to hear of your continued back trouble. I am still fairly young at 32, but have been hard on my back my entire life. I am in the army and have been flying helicopters for the past 10 years, which seems to be more and more abusive the older I get. I hope your back troubles are finally over and you can get back to travelling our wonderful country soon.

Bob

Larryheadhunter

Progressive Insurance Bob, and make sure you insure your rig for what its worth brand new, not what you paid for it, as you never know..............