Batteries

azbound

Looking for some suggestions for new Batteries. We don't boon-dock and I don't think I need Golf Cart Batteries. Has anyone had any experience with Optima Blue Top Batteries? Any suggestions appreciated.

Rigmover06

I have 2 Interstate RV/Marine Batteries Mounted in my Cyclone. And they work awesome. Can handle the charge and discharging all the time. I also used the Deep Cycles in my Dodge 3500 and the Peterbilt and they stand up to the abuse I put them through.

rogerlouden

Rigmover, I was thinking of adding a second battery in mine because one just doesn't cut it. Did you add a second battery carrier, replace the original with a two battery carrier, or just tarp strap it tight to the first one? Also did you replace the cable or just add on another to tie them together?

Roger

2010augusta

In my experience, if you are camping with hookups, the converter is constantly charging the batteries, so a good heavy duty RV/marine batteries will hold up just fine, but the build quality of the optima blue tops is awesome. I use red tops in my rock-crawling Jeep, and will switch the LM over to blue tops when the dealer installed batteries give up the ghost.

Another thing to remember is the AGM batteries require a different charging "brain" with some of the charge wizard systems.

Bill1374

For the past several years, I've been using a pair of Interstate 6 volts. At the moment they are temporarily fastened in the trailer until I figure a good permanent mounting. Since we go without hookups for several weeks each summer, this system works well for us.

Bill

Bobby A

In my experience, if you are camping with hookups, the converter is constantly charging the batteries, so a good heavy duty RV/marine batteries will hold up just fine, but the build quality of the optima blue tops is awesome. I use red tops in my rock-crawling Jeep, and will switch the LM over to blue tops when the dealer installed batteries give up the ghost.

Another thing to remember is the AGM batteries require a different charging "brain" with some of the charge wizard systems.

What do you mean by AGM ?? charging brain and charge wizard system ??
Is this Optima blue top a different kind of battery ??

2010augusta

What do you mean by AGM ?? charging brain and charge wizard system ??
Is this Optima blue top a different kind of battery ??

Adsorbed Glass Mat, The "six-pack" batteries are completely different that the typical Lead-Acid batteries. AGM and Gelled batteries require a charging voltage that does not exceed 14.00 volts (summer temperatures may require even lower voltages). Unfortunately almost all automotive charging systems have a permanently fixed set point voltage that exceeds 14.00 and this spells trouble. Subjecting the batteries to (commonly found) 14.6 volts for a prolonged period will eventually destroy them. Progressive Dynamics makes chargers that can be programed for AGMs, but I do not know if the PD9200 series that I have in the Landmark is one of them or not. Here is a link to the company that make the converters Charge wizard is the micropressor controled charging system the the converter uses to know when to charge and when to stop.