PDA

View Full Version : light switch

dlpmx
09-01-2009, 07:20 PM
The ceiling lights are 8 feet off the floor.The light switch is 1 1/2 feet off the floor.How about a switch or dimmer at chest height? I've ordered a 12V dimmer I plan to put next to the counter.Should be an easy install.

Dale

09-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Can you use a dimmer on 12v fluorescent lights? I know with 120v fluorescent lights, you have to have a dimming ballast. If it works, that will be cool! Let us know.

John

2010augusta
09-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Can you use a dimmer on 12v fluorescent lights? I know with 120v fluorescent lights, you have to have a dimming ballast. If it works, that will be cool! Let us know.

John

John, The road warrior has incandescent lights through out, only the Landmarks have fluorescent fixtures.

Dale, I'm not that familiar with the road warrior, but which light has a switch so low?

porthole
09-01-2009, 08:06 PM
On the Cyclone, similar to the Road Warrior, it is here.

dlpmx
09-01-2009, 08:52 PM
The Main living area light switch. It is a foot off the floor right by the front door.

Dale

boatto5er
09-01-2009, 10:08 PM
That should be the switch for the main entry light just inside the doorway. It's designed that way in the Sundance so you can turn it on while still standing outside if you come back to the trailer after dark. The theory is good and it works great when coming in after dark and all the lights are off. HOWEVER, to turn it off, you have to bend WAY down or get on your knees. I look at it as a "Trade-Off".

2010augusta
09-01-2009, 10:41 PM
I see, That could be an issue. In the LM we have a hallway light and porch light switch that are honestly 4 inches off the floor. I just use my toes to turn the switches. Easy to reach when outside and not to bad from the inside. A main interior light at 18 inches would be a pain.

dlpmx
09-05-2009, 05:27 PM
On mine the main panel is on the front of the counter.It is 3 feet from the door.No way to turn it on while outside.It hides behind a bar stool.It is exactly 19 inches off the floor.When my new switch comes in It will be installed between the counter top and the tv cabinet. 39 inches up.I'll still have to bend over for the outside lights but we haven't used those yet.

Dale

dlpmx
11-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Well after looking for what seemed like forever I finally found a switch I liked. It is a 12V dc dimmer made by American Technology Components Inc. It has a on off switch with a separate dimmer next to it. The color and writing almost match the stock switches perfectly. Very easy install.Only took 20 min including cutting a hole for the new switch.Now the switch is 39 inches off the floor and very easy to get to.Only down side was $80 for the switch

Dale

http://www.atcomp.com/php/product.php?type_id=2&prod_cat=10&prod_id=98

porthole
11-28-2009, 12:57 PM
found a switch I liked. It is a 12V dc dimmer made by American Technology Components Inc. It has a on off switch with a separate dimmer next to it.
http://www.atcomp.com/php/product.php?type_id=2&prod_cat=10&prod_id=98

Where did you purchase your switch? This company looks like they have the switch array I need.

dlpmx
11-28-2009, 05:46 PM
I got lucky and a local dealer had one.I also found the same switch on ebay.The dealer was Quality RV in McLean IL.Ebay was a little cheaper but the dealer was in stock.

Dale

tsmith
02-09-2010, 01:56 PM
In addition to the main switch being located just off the floor, there are no light switches for the two bathrooms and garage entrance on my 2010 Road Warrior RW 395. Kids unable to reach the ceiling, any suggestions?:(

Jellystone
02-09-2010, 03:47 PM
tsmith, as far as the garage, we have 4 switches back there 1 for lowering beds-1 for turning on rear floodlights-1 for fantastic fan-1 for turning on overhead lights. In the bathroom we usually just turn them on for the kidos at night and leave them on until its time for bed. You can plug a night light in by the sink in case one of them has to "take care of business" in the middle of the night.

Mike Aplin
02-09-2010, 04:29 PM
We are currently running a light switch in the main bathroom for the Cyclone and Road Warrior products. Thanks, Mike

tsmith
02-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Mike, thanks for the update. What can be done for Road Warrior owners now? This is a safety issue.

porthole
02-11-2010, 07:31 PM
We are currently running a light switch in the main bathroom for the Cyclone and Road Warrior products. Thanks, Mike

Mike - Can you give us some details/ I would like to do this to my trailer.

BruteForce
02-24-2010, 12:28 PM
X2. I too would like to be able to do this.

Mike - Can you give us some details/ I would like to do this to my trailer.

Mike Aplin
02-24-2010, 01:14 PM
That question is one we better reserve the experts in regards to the dimmer switch. Please contact customer service to see what their advice would be. Take care, Mike

mrendahl
02-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Speaking of light switches, one of the things I thought was an oversight on our 2011 RW 405 is the lack of a light switch on the wall immediately as you walk in the front door. Having to open up the control panel above the kitchen sink and feel around for the correct switch when it's pitch black in the desert seems inconvenient. I was wondering if there is a way to install a switch "after the fact" or maybe an idea for future design.

Mike Aplin
03-01-2010, 08:35 AM
We put all of your switches behind the control panel this year so that they wouldn't be strewn in many different locations for convenience based on customer feeback. If you have a 110V outlet somewhere, you possible could tie off of that for an additonal switch depending on the location. Thanks, Mike

dlpmx
04-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Speaking of light switches, one of the things I thought was an oversight on our 2011 RW 405 is the lack of a light switch on the wall immediately as you walk in the front door. Having to open up the control panel above the kitchen sink and feel around for the correct switch when it's pitch black in the desert seems inconvenient. I was wondering if there is a way to install a switch "after the fact" or maybe an idea for future design.

Looking at the pics on Heartlands site you have the same problem I had. I put a switch on the wall just above the counter in the wallpaper border.The switch for the 395 lights is 12VDC so any automotive store will have them. Maybe some one can tell me if their the same for the 405. If so a dealer or a auto mechanic could install one for you in 20-30 min. I installed a 12V dimmer and from start to finish including cutting a hole in the wall for the switch took 30 min. Had to cut one wire splice into the 2 ends and fish about 3 feet of wire. Now I leave the control panel switch in the on position and control the lights with the added switch.
The reason I did the dimmer was 5 lights with 10 bulbs on the ceiling.You ether couldn't see or it was so bright you were blind and to turn them to low you have to get a stool out.(I know I'm hard to please) Now I'm looking at adding a switch to the bathroom.