toity

Rickhansen

Larry,
This is a significant inconvenience, if not a significant problem. There are many posts in the forums about this problem. I'd encourage you to do a couple searches and read what's already there.

The problem, in my opinion, is a design issue. Now, I'm not a potty engineer by any stretch, but I've gone head-to-head (Pun Intended) with it a few times.

In just shy of two years full-time in or BH, I have disassembled, cleaned, and lubricated the seals a couple times; replaced seals twice (warranty), and replaced with a complete new toilet (warranty).

Your next task should be to contact Sealand (Dometic) describe your problem and request a seal/rebuild kit. You, like some of us will likely get it gratis.

Good Luck.

2010augusta

Ditto Rick: Call sealand/dometic and get the new seal kit and spring cartridge. it has fixed ours as long as we let the pedal "snap" back, if we raise it slowly it the stop with a 1/4 inch gap.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Before you get crazy and rip apart the toilet, try cleaning the ball and seal area with the toilet brush. Ours occasionally drained out and the cause was something stuck there. Nothing really big, either, just a bit of paper that gets caught when flushing the bowl. If that doesn't work, by all means, rebuild the toilet.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We've been pretty fortunate as well. Like JohnDar, ours will drain on occasion and I think it's a tiny bit of paper that probably causes capillary action. We have a round brush a bit larger than the hole/seal and with a few rotations of the brush, the problem goes away. I think it happens mostly when the better half flushes to fast and the seal catches a bit of paper as it closes.

jolar3329

The toilet on my 2009 Big Horn 3670 had the same problem. Heartland replaced the toilet. End of problem.

OwensMom

Replacing toilet seal

Marv, Thanks for the info and photos. We have an '08 BH 3055RL and have the same problem this year. Bought some of that lubricant for the seal from CW but it did no good. I think that I'll call Dometic tomorrow. Again, thanks. Us newbies really appreciate your expertise!! Lynn