Fireplace and hot countertop

Dale and Jen

Funtimers
Is it normal for the countertop above the fireplace to get very hot? When we use our fireplace we find that we need to remove anything sitting above it as the countertop gets very hot.

4ever

We have used our fireplace many times and for hours at a time and I don't recall the counter top being very hot. I can't say that I actually checked however, I do think we would have noticed if it got as hot as you are saying.

Ted

CrazyScotsman

Can't say if the counter above our fire gets hot or not, never really noticed. I know the louvered part of fireplace that you pull down to get to the switches gets real hot .

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
Have not had this problem. We have a 3580RL, fireplace is in road side slide, under entertainment center. The wife keeps knick knacks and a few other things sitting on the countertop, it has never heated up. Not sure where the heat is coming from, as we use ours to heat the living room and also for ambience. God Bless ya, Al & Dee Weaver

beardedone

Beardedone
Yes, mind does. I called the manufacturer about it and they sent a piece of metal, no instructions and absolutely no way of installing it. That was useless. I cut a hole in the vertical panel next to my leg and put a vent in it. A little fan in back would help to blow hot air out.

sidney dreyfus

Fireplace

Dale and Jen,

Our Desk top does get warm but never so hot as to have me believe it would go on fire. We have been using it for two winters without a problem. I would like to hear from Heartland factory and the manufacturer as to whether there has been instances of fire caused by the fireplace.

jimtoo

This has been discussed before and several things have been done to help the overheating. Check out the fix that Forrest posted and I think several others have used. If yours is setting on carpet this may be the answer.

Look for #3 post by Forrest.

Please let us know if yours is setting on carpet as described in this post.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Ours used to get hot and then one day we smelled wires burning. The smell was coming from the fireplace and although we could never see any problem or isolate the smell for sure it was caused by the fireplace. We had it replaced under warranty and no more wire burning smell and the counter above it barely gets warm now and the fireplace works better and seems to put out more heat to the front where it should be going.

Macattack

Ours gets hot enough that you can't hold your hand on the top of the counter very long. We turn down the thermostat so that it does not stay on all the time and it seems to work pretty well.We also have an infrared heater that works great.

wyleyrabbit

We have never had an issue with our countertop over the fireplace getting hot. Ours is the 2009 3055RL, so I'm not sure what would be different between yours and ours.

When you say "hot" do you mean "so hot, I can't touch it for more than a second" or "really warm, but I can lean my hand on it for a while"?

aatauses

We have a 2010 BH 3670 and use the heating element of the fireplace quite a bit. The counter gets warm, but not hot. Actually ours cat will check to see if the fireplace is on, then jump up on the counter for a nap, but it is never hot
all