Enquiring minds want to know

HappyKayakers

I've been trying to picture this without any luck. Has anyone taken off the underbelly and taken pictures of the drain valves and nearby pipes? I look at other rigs with exposed undersides and see drain valves at varying locations on the pipes. Then I look at my drain valves, all close and linear, and can't make the leap from there to the exposed exit pipes that I can see. Either pictures or good schematics from the factory would help.

jbeletti

HK,

Search for posts from Wild Wind. Clarence has some pictures posted of his Bighorn with much of the underbelly off and he is well versed with how his plumbing runs.

Jim

Uncle Rog

HK, no I have not pulled the skin off of my rig, however, I do have pics of a rig down the road that thas some real drain issues. It is a early 3600RL and the new owner has no warranty. Let me know and I will send some pictures, heck, I will post a few in a bit ..............over

Uncle Rog

HK, here are some pics.........UR

Attachments

• DSC01946.JPG
    DSC01946.JPG
    322.1 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC01947.JPG
    DSC01947.JPG
    318.5 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC01948.JPG
    DSC01948.JPG
    316.2 KB · Views: 128

Wild Wind

Real problems with installsion of drain pipe and valve

Uncle Rog said:
That unit has a real problem with the black water drain pipe and valve heading up hill out of the tank and over the frame work..
To drain any tank or plumbing fixture all drain pipes must slope down hill about 1/8 -1/4 per foot of run. Only water lines can run in any direction.
The installion of the drainage pipe and valve is a real joke!! The black water tank doesnot look like it is setting right and probly has the knock out plugs floating the tank also. Very thing should be ripped out and start over.

K

Ken Washington

If this is a Heartland product, they should make it right! I do not care if it is out of warranty, they would fix it if it were mine! I hope mine is not like this as Bill Plimmons has already looked to see if they could improve the drain on our unit. This goes beyond being silly. Someone just thought nobody would do a look see!
Ken

rock

I agree with Ken on the plumbing job. Warranty or not if Heartland built it that way they should make it right. I believe I am going to purchase a Mt Rushmore here soon, but pictures like that are really giving me second thoughts.

Scott

Uncle Rog,
Email the photos of that to David Partin (davidp@heartlandrvs.com). He will get you in to a service facility and get it fixed pronto. I'll print these out and show them to the plant manager so he can track it down.
ST

HappyKayakers

Uncle Rog said:

UR, thanks for the pix. That uphill slant on the black tank exit pipe probably explains why I have to apply some backflush almost every time I dump.

nscaler2

Rog from the looks of it in your photo, I don't know how they could fix that problem. If the black tank, as shown is in its' normal place and not hanging too low, for some reason, then they would have to move the dump pipe under, not over, as shown, the beam that it encounters. That would mean that the support from that beam would be gone. Wonder how they will do that. It would be nice to see a pic after they fix it. Thanks

After reading these posts it brings up a couple concerns in my unit? My gauges on the black water tank always read 1/3 full. I usually drain them every 3 or 4 day and when I do my gauges always read full, I will run the Tank Flush System about 4 or 5 flushes then the gauges return to 1/3 full never empty. Maybe cause of the angle up it is still holding sewage? I finally added a y valve on the main water line so I just automatically start the flush system when I hook to water when dumping. Can’t figure this out, I only use RV Paper!

HappyKayakers said:
UR, thanks for the pix. That uphill slant on the black tank exit pipe probably explains why I have to apply some backflush almost every time I dump.
What are you using and how are you back flushing???

Last edited:

HappyKayakers

sonnybeech said:
After reading these posts it brings up a couple concerns in my unit? My gauges on the black water tank always read 1/3 full. I usually drain them every 3 or 4 day and when I do my gauges always read full, I will run the Tank Flush System about 4 or 5 flushes then the gauges return to 1/3 full never empty. Maybe cause of the angle up it is still holding sewage? I finally added a y valve on the main water line so I just automatically start the flush system when I hook to water when dumping. Can’t this out, I only use RV Paper!

What are you using and how are you back flushing???

I use the RV Hydro Flush (from CW) attached to the sewer pipe. Just hook up non-pressure regulated garden hose and turn it on. That will usually clear any blockage coming out of the black tank. Make sure your gray tank valves are closed. My gauges are also notoriously inaccurate, like most everyone else's. The only time I got a good empty reading was after driving across state for service. Left about 5 gallons in the black tank to slosh around while moving. This week I'm going to try hooking up the full pressure hose to the sani flush system. I normally leave the coiled blue hose hooked up to it but don't think that provides enough pressure to clean the walls, just more convenient to leave it connected. FWIW, we switched from Scott 1 ply to Angel Soft. Did the overnight test where you leave a sheet of TP in a glass of water. Next day, the Angel Soft broke up much more quickly.

Uncle Rog

Sounds like the pictures made sense to a few folks, my tanks drain OK, and I think my water leak was from the shower........

Paul & Nan

FWIW, we switched from Scott 1 ply to Angel Soft. Did the overnight test where you leave a sheet of TP in a glass of water. Next day, the Angel Soft broke up much more quickly.

A word to the wise, do not, repeat, do not put TP in the tank, don't care what kind it is! Get a coverd small trash can, put the TP in it and discard daily. You will save so very much grief. This from someone with over 40 years with RV's. Nan

J

Jim_1899

black tank

We normally have a full house with family and have not had problems with the black tank. I put in a few gallons of water in the black tank when traveling to our destination which splashes around while driving and loosen up the toilet paper. After camping I empty the tank and then put in the 5 to 10 gallons again except if I am just a few hours from home so I don't have to empty the tank. This works very well since we can combine gas stops, with a bathroom break and snacks.

I am not planning on moving but if and when I do, I am going to have a full hook up so I can empty my tanks when ariving home.

Jim & Crystal

jpmorgan37

We put T/P (which happens to be Angle Soft) and everything else in the Black Water tank and don't have any problems. When we are stationary for any period of time, we dump the tank when it is full and then flush. When we are travelling from spot to spot, we generally drain when it is between a third and two thirds. With a good tank treatment, no odor and no plugging problems. JMHO.
John

Cheryl

I read somewhere to put a bag if ice and some water in the tank right before a long drive, then when you get to your destination, flush the tank. It must of really cleaned the "walls" and bottom of the tank because after we did that, no more odor! Thanks to whomever suggested that!