black tank valve

Bobby A

I'm sure there has been many post on this subject, but without doing a search I figured I would ask. It seems the last few weeks the black water valve handle has gotten increasingly hard to pull to open, is there some kind of lube or something I can spray on the cable to maybe help it to be not so hard to open ?? What causes this to occur ?? Thanks

TXBobcat

Fulltime
What is it that if I have trouble everyone else starts having a problem ??

Hi Bobby
If you look at a thread I posted about replaciing the GW#2 valve you can read some information about the gate valves.

My black valve got stiff and I sprayed some DW40 at the cable inside the UDC and moved the cable in and out slowly. It seemed to help. However when I replace the GW#2 valve the gate was very stickey. It had gotten bad enough that the cable housing around the cable came off the back of the part where the handle goes into the UDC. I went on the back of the UDC and put a long bolt along the cable where it was on the housing and the cable covering, then tightened it down with worm gear clamps. That helped for a while until I was able to replace the valve and cable.

If I were you I would empty my black tank, put a cup or two of Dawn dishwashing detergent in with about 5 gallons of water and drive around for a few minutes. Then dump the black tank but open and close the valve a bunch of times while the water is going out. Hoping this would clean the gate valve.

This thread may help you some Replacing GW#2 Gate Valve .

Welcome to the lifestyle..Sh!! happens.

BC

caissiel

I would not spray WD40 on any equipment that needs proper lubrication. WD40 will vapourise and leave the equipment dryer then when it was.

My magic formula is using Pam regular and spray it on, I use it on door hinges all over. I have been using it since my 1st season of camping. I discovered it by luck on the beach on the old bike chain, it is great for salt water on the chains. Its also handy because every kitchen has some. Mezola oil also as good. Can't be the buttered type, it will make it realy sticky after a while.

I had a door at my house that was always squeeking because it was an outside opening door with outside hinges. Did it 3 years ago and so fare still good.

One farmer was talking to me one day that his conveyor was squeeking a lot and nothigs he was using stoped it, and maybe it was like hinges it could not stop. He tried it and he ran to the store to get more, it was the first time his hay conveyor never sqeeked.

Its the only lubricant I have been using around the camper, other then 5th wheel grease.

Bobby A

What is it that if I have trouble everyone else starts having a problem ??

Hi Bobby
If you look at a thread I posted about replaciing the GW#2 valve you can read some information about the gate valves.

My black valve got stiff and I sprayed some DW40 at the cable inside the UDC and moved the cable in and out slowly. It seemed to help. However when I replace the GW#2 valve the gate was very stickey. It had gotten bad enough that the cable housing around the cable came off the back of the part where the handle goes into the UDC. I went on the back of the UDC and put a long bolt along the cable where it was on the housing and the cable covering, then tightened it down with worm gear clamps. That helped for a while until I was able to replace the valve and cable.

If I were you I would empty my black tank, put a cup or two of Dawn dishwashing detergent in with about 5 gallons of water and drive around for a few minutes. Then dump the black tank but open and close the valve a bunch of times while the water is going out. Hoping this would clean the gate valve.

This thread may help you some Replacing GW#2 Gate Valve .

Welcome to the lifestyle..Sh!! happens.

BC

I did the dawn thing last week, however I don't think I open and closed the valve several times while dumping. I just had a new cable installed on it about 3 months ago. I'm hoping all I need is some sort of lube, I will check behind the UDC tomorrow. Thanks for the info

Bobby A

I would not spray WD40 on any equipment that needs proper lubrication. WD40 will vapourise and leave the equipment dryer then when it was.

My magic formula is using Pam regular and spray it on, I use it on door hinges all over. I have been using it since my 1st season of camping. I discovered it by luck on the beach on the old bike chain, it is great for salt water on the chains. Its also handy because every kitchen has some. Mezola oil also as good. Can't be the buttered type, it will make it realy sticky after a while.

I had a door at my house that was always squeeking because it was an outside opening door with outside hinges. Did it 3 years ago and so fare still good.

One farmer was talking to me one day that his conveyor was squeeking a lot and nothigs he was using stoped it, and maybe it was like hinges it could not stop. He tried it and he ran to the store to get more, it was the first time his hay conveyor never sqeeked.

Its the only lubricant I have been using around the camper, other then 5th wheel grease.

That is very interesting and I'll try it. The wife has some off brand spray so I will go to the store tomorrow and get Pam if that is what you recommend. I will post back after spraying. Thanks for the tip.

caissiel

Its for food and supose to make the pan none stick. Might be ok for the sewer parts and not eat it out, like some oil could.

caissiel

With all this good food drive we have nothing oily left that we use in our food.
Must make our food sticky and not slippery enough.
Nothing like dumping good old FF grease hmmmmm.

nscaler2

Try this on the inside of the tank

We have been using plain cooking oil on the inside of the tank also. Our black tank was getting sticky also. I empty the black tank first. Then pour about 1/3 of a 32 oz bottle of cooking oil in the toile and flush it. Then add a few gallons of water to the tank. Then re drain the tank a little at a time, slowly moving the valve handle in and out as it drains. After doing this the valve is as smooth as butter. I generally do this every 3 or 4 weeks or as needed. It has made a big difference in how the gate valves behave.

Bobby A

We have been using plain cooking oil on the inside of the tank also. Our black tank was getting sticky also. I empty the black tank first. Then pour about 1/3 of a 32 oz bottle of cooking oil in the toile and flush it. Then add a few gallons of water to the tank. Then re drain the tank a little at a time, slowly moving the valve handle in and out as it drains. After doing this the valve is as smooth as butter. I generally do this every 3 or 4 weeks or as needed. It has made a big difference in how the gate valves behave.

WOW !! great info, I'll try that also, probably could do the same for the gray tanks also ??? What do ya think ?? Thanks much

Bobby A

I have one more question to ask you before I start spraying Pam all over. We are in Florida and our neighbors are having ant problems, we have not at this point, but I'm wondering if spraying Pam will attract ants ?? Your thoughts please.

Thanks,
Bob

Tom of Ypsi

I would think the Pam would deter the little buggers. The sticky oily substance would be enough to deter most anything that is creepy and crawly.

SilverRhino

Interesting idea using the Pam and the Cooking Oil.

Pouring cooking oil down the drain is always a no no ( Stick house ) ...never thought about the lubricating properties that would come into play in an RV system! Great post... definitely will be giving it a try.

Thanks for sharing.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ok.. I am always open to new things..

Let me see if I have this correct.. Spray Pam on the cable where it moves in an out in the UDC..

Empty the holding tanks and pour about 12oz of something like Crisco oil into the tank, then put in 3 or 4 gallons of water. Then dump the tank and move the gate open and closed while the water is draining??

BC

nscaler2

Gray tanks too

WOW !! great info, I'll try that also, probably could do the same for the gray tanks also ??? What do ya think ?? Thanks much
Yes it also works on gray tanks too. Sorry I should have said that I do that too. It works well there too.

nscaler2

Yep

Ok.. I am always open to new things..

Let me see if I have this correct.. Spray Pam on the cable where it moves in an out in the UDC..

Empty the holding tanks and pour about 12oz of something like Crisco oil into the tank, then put in 3 or 4 gallons of water. Then dump the tank and move the gate open and closed while the water is draining??

BC
Yep you got it. Works great!!

Bobby A

Just got back from wally world with the Pam and cooking oil, that will be my afternoon project after lunch of course. I'll post back tonight with the results.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Wow, that is a good idea. Never thought about cooking oil down the tanks.

Any idea how it affects the sewer system at the campgrounds? I wouldn't think it would be bad but really don't know.

Bobby A

Well, I did the Pam and cooking oil things this afternoon, seemed to really help the black tank valve being much easier to open and close, but only moderate success with the gray 1 and 2 tank valves. Wondering if I have to repeat the process for my gray tanks ?? It diffently worked real good on the black, just don't know why the other 2 valves didn't free it up as much.

lwmcguir

The valve slides most likely need to be removed and coated with water resistant silicone whenever that is feasible. It does seem to help the Grey tanks in our experience. If you are in an area of very hard water then a lot of the issues are soap scum and hard water deposits that form.