New rushmore--fulltime--IRS

h2ok9

We are presently finalizing plans to purchase Rushmore. This unit will be our fulltime residence. I am not yet retired but preparing. In the government "first time home buyer" legislation enacted earlier this year, there was a little known "longterm owner incentive". If you lived in a stick house consecutively for five years in the last 8 years, you are elgible for a max $6500 tax credit when you purchase new home. Current regs say mobile home, condo, apartment, or regular house. Has anyone in the rv community applied for this credit??? I have asked IRS and awaiting response. Enjoy the forum and am looking forward to our new rushmore.

jimtoo

HI h2ok9,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to help if needed.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new unit when you receive it. When you do go for pickup,,, do a really good PDI, take lots of time and check evrything.

When you hear back from IRS, please let us know what the answer is. This could be a great help for a lot of folks.

Jim M

h2ok9

Seeing lots of hits but no replies. Just wondered if there were any semi/retired cpas or irs gurus with
any info or insight, about government and how they might treat a full time residence thats not traditional stick and brick or mobile home?? I know they allow rv as second home for tax deductions, etc., so would think rv should work as principal residence as well. However, this implies there is logic involved in tax codes and government. That's possibly an overstep.

h2ok9

Still haven't heard from IRS- the guy i talked to was probably in the building in austin hit by plane???? Did find irs.gov publication that states travel trailers may qualify as principal residence for the tax credit as long as is is "affixed to land". Not sure how "affixed" it must be, but i will apply for the credit. The credit expires april 30, but there is a provision for july date if being constructed, but binding contract prior to may 1. I'm sure the "being constructed" deals with stick house, but don't know why it couldn't be applied to rv construction as well. By the way---the publication strictly forbids RV with built in motor as qualifying for first home buyer credit as it is not considered a principal residence. --Go figure.

h2ok9

Talked to irs yesterday. Gentleman said the government was not into definition of affixed. Def of affixed was up to local jurisdiction.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
My two cents, affixed means in one location on a permanent site, like a modular in a park. I t also must be your permanent address and that wouldn't be a po box. you have to stay at that affixed site for three years or repay the full credit. fulltiming, because you are not in a permanent location at the same address would not qualify. You are also rquired to send documentation of the address and purchase when filing. I am an enrolled agent with the IRS and have prepared taxes for HR Block for ten years and others in my office agree with this interpretation

h2ok9

Thanks for the info----we will be fulltiming but the unit will be at a fixed address in a park. Still working and don't intend retiring/traveling til 2014 or so. Would it void permanent status if unit was pulled to dealer for maintainance and/or 1 or 2 week vacation???

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
At the moment i don't know the exact answer but will find out for sure. just thinking, that since it is your home and is kept in a single location almost always you would be entitled to your ten percent of purchase price from the IRS. will try to get back to you tomorrow with a 4 sure