From a dream to a nightmare: One buyer's story

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Hage

Knowing who the original owners were, I suspect it was well maintained in their care. However, he died in 2010 and not sure how long afterwards the unit was sold....it is possible it was in a lot somewhere for close to three years. More than enough time for lack of maintenance (don't know any dealer who performs routine maintenance) to develop a leak, probably in the slide edge just above the floor and rot it out, especially since the walls in which the suspect windows were mounted have no damage.

We have discovered over the years that is one of the first caulk line to disintegrate due to it's exposure to the sun.

The unit remained in good hands until shortly before our dealer bought it at auction and then only had it less than three months before we purchased it.

G_Hage

In clearing up the confusion some of you have as to my statements of what year our MR is:
It is represented by Heartland as being the 2008 model of this floor plan as is indicated in the serial number of the unit, yet the sticker on the pin box of the frame that was hidden by a paint over shows a Heartland manufacture date in 2006. So its all in how you look at it I guess. Apparently the RV industry is regularly allowed to sell what they call a say 2015 model that was built in 2013 as more the one RV manufacturer is currently doing. VERY CONFUSING for the one that buys that unit used down the road.

mobilcastle

I have bought a number of items used over the years such as cars and trucks-if their was a problem I dealt with it without complaining. Used is used-you deal with the problems or pay the new price with a warranty. What did you say you paid for this rig? I have read where Heartland has bent over backwards for repairs outside of warranty-7 years out is a long time.

kowAlski631

Have you asked Heartland to validate the build date & model year? You, not your dealer or RV tech, need to call if you are confused. Our BH was built in Oct 2012, but is a 2013 model year. Doesn't make sense to me that a rig built in 2006 would be titled as a 2008 model.

JMHO, Martha

bigbird272

I am also sorry about your problems. I have had problems with my 3580 since I bought it new in 2010. Front pin box caulk cracking due to frame flex. Fixed at factory. One year later the area they fixed has cracked on the fiberglass. Went to put my large slide in when coming home from Arizona and it would not go in. Support beam bent and other items under the slide bent. Took to my dealer who charged me 1800 to fix. Tested it twice at dealer, got it home, tested it a month later, slide will not go in

Yes the trailer has a 1 yr warranty. My last trailer, not Heartland obviously, had a 5 yr structure warranty and a 2 year bumper to bumper. The trailer before that had a 3 yr structure warranty. If this current trailer had a structure warranty I would be ok. Now I feel abandoned by; my dealer as they don't seem to want to help. They no longer deal with Heartland products.

People have asked my through the years if I would buy another trailer from Heartland. My response has been "Absolutely not!"

I to have had rotting floors at the edges that have been fixed with another Heartland quick fix and seems to be ok now.

Rick

Rickhansen

The build date and model years do not have to, and it is not a discretionary function of the state it was titled in. We paid an additional fee at the time of purchase ($150, I believe) to have our unit titled as a 2009 model, while the build date and delivery dates were actually in December 2007.

This is not uncommon, is still limited by model year factory changeovers, and is done to maximize the market/loan values when the rig is sold as used. It is no different than the fact that the 2014 model year trucks will be on dealers lots in a couple weeks.

danemayer

Took to my dealer who charged me 1800 to fix. Tested it twice at dealer, got it home, tested it a month later, slide will not go in
bigbird272,

Are you saying the dealer took your money but won't stand behind their work?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
The unit remained in good hands until shortly before our dealer bought it at auction and then only had it less than three months before we purchased it.

Sorry, I just can't restrain myself any longer.
At this point aren't we basically beating a dead horse here? Trace

wino2

You are right Trace it is a DEAD HORSE, but we all keep feeding it and bringing it back to life me included. Now we have a new unhappy owner. Like FOREST GUMP said S--- HAPPENS. I really wish someone from Heartland would comment on the model years. I find it really hard to believe they would build an 09 in 07. The serial number is the serial number and the model year is always in the vin. At least for the last 40 years that I have been in the automobile industry. Yes the 2014 will be on the lots soon some already are. But they weren't built in 2012.

Rickhansen

I find it really hard to believe they would build an 09 in 07. The serial number is the serial number and the model year is always in the vin. At least for the last 40 years that I have been in the automobile industry. Yes the 2014 will be on the lots soon some already are. But they weren't built in 2012.

And the one showing up on lots, weren't built in 2014 either.

Here's a picture of the sticker on my rig. It clearly shows the manufacture date as 12/18/2007. Rest assured, it is titled, registered, and insured as a 2009 model. If you can decipher the VIN, I'm sure you'll find the proof is in the pudding. If you have any further skepticism of my statement, please PM me with your email address and I'll gladly send you photo's of my original paperwork, registration, etc. (I don't have the Title here, so can't produce it easily.)

And, by the way I don't believe Forest Gump ever said, "S--- HAPPENS."

IMG_20130705_153221[1].jpg

G_Hage

Sorry, I just can't restrain myself any longer.
At this point aren't we basically beating a dead horse here? Trace

Better watch out ya'll. If we keep this up somebody is gonna call the SPCA on us!!! Hehehe

G_Hage

OK folks, in bringing this topic to close on my part and stop beating the dead horse cause all its hair has gotta be worn off by now:

We love our 2008 Mount Rushmore Suites by Heartland. They built an absolutely beautiful and affordable Fiver in this unit.

But, we were not and are not happy to have learned it is physically two (2) physical years older than it actually was represented on the Title/Registration to us as being. Would we sell it just because of that? Heck no! Just means we now know the expenses of replacing the original rubber roof, graphics, etc. shall come sooner than later.

Do we feel that the dealer or original owner(s) misled us in any way regarding this Fiver and are responsible for repairing or replacing this unit? Heck no! Would we sell it just because of that? Heck no!

Are we unhappy and upset to have learned of the dark history of this unit with the axles, sidewalls, etc. having to be rebuilt? Heck yes! Would we sell it just because of that? Most likely not as long as we can feel it is a solid unit as it appears to be. Plus the silver lining in that ordeal is that we ended up with a Fiver with the top of the line axles and suspension MorRide IS (8000lbs rated) with hydraulic disc brakes rather than the flimsy 7000lb rated leaf spring axle assembly standard on this model. And the exterior fiberglass and graphics on both sidewalls is only four years old, not seven! NOTE: The slides are still original F & G.

Are we unhappy with whom ever did not deem this unit (in ours and our attorneys opinion) as "wrecked" or "Salvaged" on the title? Heck yes! Since these rig travel on the roads and highways and must be titled/registered/licensed as a motor vehicle, do they not fall under the same rules? When an axle failure causes the axles to come loose frame the frame, the frame is twisted, structural damage occurs, should it fall under black as being a wrecked unit, gray as being questionable, or white as being a normal safe vehicle? And who would have been responsible in notifying DMV on the change in status on the title/registration, the owner, insurer, or repair facility? I don't know. Do I feel it should have been classed as such? Yes!

Do I as a consumer realize that when purchasing a manufactured item I assume certain responsibilities on my part to maintain and repair such item at my expense above and beyond any implied warranties by the manufacturer? Heck yes! Do I agree with that statement when a repair is needed and the defect is (or may very well have been) caused by a manufacturers defect? Heck no! Am I going after the manufacturer in such a case? Yes! You've already seen that in this thread. Any smart consumer would if they feel the problem was not caused by normal wear and tear or neglect.

I truly wish I could post the photos of our unit when it was back at Heartland being all but completely rebuilt.[ At the request of the provider I can not and will not! ] I'm sure it would horrify many on this forum, as I'm sure if many of you had the opportunity to have seen them and heard the story behind them before purchasing the unit you would have said "Not no, heck no!" and walked away. We were not afforded that luxury until after the fact. Can we live with that and make the best of what's left of the unit? Yes

Do we see ourselves being the proud owners of this rig in the future? Yes! We get many a compliment on how beautiful it is inside and out at our park (Grand Lake RV and Golf Resort) and have been told more than once that we have one of the nicest looking Fivers in the resort. We invite any of you on the forum and whom have responded to or read this thread to stop by and see it for yourselves if in the neighborhood while we are at home. We'll leave the light on and make a pot of coffee for you, or a highball if you like! :)

Would I tell a perspective buyer to stay the heck away from Heartland's products if asked? NO! Would I share our experience with their product honestly and share the bitter/sweet side of our experience? YES! That is who we are, we sugar coat nothing, that is the right way of doing business and otherwise.

Last edited:

jbeletti

...I really wish someone from Heartland would comment on the model years. I find it really hard to believe they would build an 09 in 07. The serial number is the serial number and the model year is always in the vin. At least for the last 40 years that I have been in the automobile industry. Yes the 2014 will be on the lots soon some already are. But they weren't built in 2012.

It's my understanding that since the purchase of Heartland by Thor, that Heartland rolls model years at the same time all Thor RV divisions do. This is the April/May timeframe. So at some point this Spring, Heartland and all Thor RV divisions rolled forward to producing 2014 models.

Prior to Thor, Heartland was more aggressive in their model year approach. This is all I know about this topic and can't comment further on it but I hope it explains a bit more about what some saw with their earlier Heartland units versus what some are seeing now.

jimtoo

As G Hage said above "OK folks, in bringing this topic to close on my part and stop beating the dead horse cause all its hair has gotta be worn off by now:"

Now is the time to close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.