PDA

View Full Version : Truck bed covers

Nabo
03-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Ok - I'm having trouble using the "search engine" on this new webpage so maybe I can ask the question again for all of ya'll suggestions. I am trying to find the best bed cover for our Dodge 3500 srw truck. I had a roller trac system before but didn't like the way it fit the tapered bed. My thinking is a tri-fold hard cover but not sure if the pin box will hit the cover when making a tight turn. There's always the rollups but I'm not sure about the durability of it. Any suggestions!!! ;)

jbeletti
03-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Here's a few search hits Nathan. (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&q=site%3Aheartlandowners.org+%22bed+cover%22+dodge&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=)

Jim

Nabo
03-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks Jim - I knew there was a way to research pasted post but couldn't figure it out.
N--

jbeletti
03-13-2010, 05:35 PM
No problem Nathan. I am hoping you will get others to weigh in here with their own experiences with covers.

By the way, I got those results (helpful as they may or may not be :) ) by doing this:

Clicked on Advanced Search at top right of forum
Clicked inside the Google search box there
Typed "bed cover" dodge
Hit enter

I used quotes around bed cover so results would be for that phrase of 2 words together and I added dodge to make it more relevant to your application.

I'm no search guru but over time, you get better and better at it :D

I had a Truxedo low-profile cover on my Dodge that I could roll up. It was not a self-storing roll, it just rolled back onto itself and stored strapped up against the front of the box at the rear window. It was "just okay".

Jim

mrcomer
03-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Nathan,
I have a hard cover that hinges. There are three sections and I have never had any issues with hitting the pinbox. I did however have to change the release handle on my hitch so that it wasn't any hogher than the bed rails.

Good luck,
Mark

Lance & Jo
03-13-2010, 06:08 PM
We use the Fold a Cover. Had it on my 03 3500 and liked it so well we brought it with us when we moved up to the 07. They say it's not water proof but has worked great so far. Only knock is the lock covers are rubber and ours got fed to the sun god some time ago.

Nabo
03-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks Mark - that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Lance - is your fold a cover hard or soft? A saleman tried to sell me a soft (vinyl) tri-fold cover but I didn't like any part of that.

truknutt
03-13-2010, 08:21 PM
I use a BakFlip G2 hardcover on both my 450 & 350. They fold up into 4 sections (8 ft bed) and store stacked behind the rear window no wider than a crossover toolbox so ther's no interference with the hitch.

The cover can be completely removed by unscrewing 2 large knobbed screws so the entire bed is accessible if needed.

Nabo
03-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks TrukNutt but unfortunately my dodge is a short bed. Sometimes I wish I had gotten the 8' bed, but I didn't, so I have to work around the short bed. That's the reasoning for the concern of a tri fold hard cover with the turning radius of the king pin.

rick_debbie_gallant
03-13-2010, 10:29 PM
I have a tri-fold soft cover. I like everything about it. No problems with pin box. Just my experience.

Nabo
03-13-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks Rick for your info. My concern with the soft trifold is the wear at the fold points. How long have you had yours? The one I looked at is by Access and just didn't seem to be very heavy material.

Rrloren
03-14-2010, 07:02 AM
I've had the Bak Flip hard cover for nearly 3 years and just removed it last week. It doesn't interfere with the hitch or 5th wheel however I found that parts started falling off after a while, ie. rubber pieces and the metal strips on the side of the cover itself.
I usually use tiedown straps to hold the cover in place when it's folded up against the cab and wound up tearing off the hinge on one side. It's junk now.
Spent a few days researching covers and settled on a cover from Advanced Folding Cover. Can't comment on it till next week since it doesn't arrive till Mon.
I would have liked the type that rolls up and stores in a container against the cab but I have an auxillary fuel tank in the bed and don't have the clearance for the box.
I also wasn't crazy about the soft covers since I had one in the past and they aren't secure enough and fade after a few years.

truknutt
03-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks TrukNutt but unfortunately my dodge is a short bed. Sometimes I wish I had gotten the 8' bed, but I didn't, so I have to work around the short bed. That's the reasoning for the concern of a tri fold hard cover with the turning radius of the king pin.

Don't know which cab version you have so here are your part numbers if interested:

2009 - 2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Crew Cab with 67.2 In. Bed, without Ram Box | Part#: 26207

2002 - 2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad/Mega Cab with Short 74.69 In. Bed | Part#: 26203

Lance & Jo
03-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks Mark - that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Lance - is your fold a cover hard or soft? A saleman tried to sell me a soft (vinyl) tri-fold cover but I didn't like any part of that.
It's hard and we have the long bed, you might look at foldacover.com for their products

truknutt
03-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Extang now has the "SOLID FOLD (http://www.extang.com/docs/solidfold.html)" tonneau cover. Works like the "TRIFECTA" soft tonneau.

Nabo
03-14-2010, 05:37 PM
TrukNutt - the ExTang was one that I looked at on the showroom floor and really liked. Ran the BC up to Bristol today and did some measuring of the king pin in a sharp turn so I now know how much distance I will need for a hard cover. It's going to be tight as far as clearance I think. Anywhoo - maybe I can talk the dealership into ordering the unit without buying (ha).
Lance - I haven't heard of foldacover.com but will do some research.
Thanks to everyone for all of ya'll imput.

jnbhobe
03-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Try Advance Cover out of Michigan, I have two of them 4 section for a shortbed. JONhttp://www.advancedfoldingcover.com/

Nabo
03-14-2010, 07:52 PM
WOW - thanks Jon, a quad fold hard cover. Will try to contact the local dealer given on the website. Thanks again.

westxsrt10
03-14-2010, 08:22 PM
Retrax is the only cover i know of that fits the Dodge bed perfictly because its 3" or 4" out of square (narrow in front) I have one on my Dodge Ram SRT, the fit and finish is top notch. I have had a few Pace Edwards Jack Rabbits on my other Dodges but the side rails are not custom made to fit like the Retrax.
http://www.rolltopcover.com/products.htm

jgallego
03-14-2010, 08:41 PM
I have a Fold a cover and a short bed truck and it works fine. It fold into four parts and it also opens from both ends. This makes fueling easy if you have an auxilary fuel tank. The website is http://www.foldacover.com

Jaime

Nabo
03-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Gosh everyone - ya'll are giving me great info. Thanks :)

Jburks
03-16-2010, 11:22 AM
We have a literider soft bed cover on our Chevy and have used it for about 4 years, it is showing a little wear. We love it, one thing I did was buy extra rail clamps and split the rails just in front of the hitch so that I would never have any problems with the hitch getting into them. It takes about 5 minutes to roll and when we get to out site about 5 minutes to set the rails and unroll.

Rrloren
03-16-2010, 03:33 PM
I installed my new cover from Advanced Folding Cover today and it looks good to me . Easy install, hard cover. one panel opens at the front and it folds up from the rear and lays on the panel at the cab out of the way of the hitch. It has 4 clip straps to hold it down while towing. Looks like it will keep water out very well. Locks on both ends and can be opened w/o opening the tailgate. Price was right at under 700 delivered.
Not trying to sell it just reporting first impressions.

Nabo
03-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Richard, did you get the quad (4) fold unit? Can you take a pic? Would love to see. Thanks

Rrloren
03-17-2010, 06:22 AM
Mine is the 4 fold. I'll try to put a couple pics up today.

Yuleervers
03-17-2010, 07:14 AM
Nathan,
I have a hard cover that hinges. There are three sections and I have never had any issues with hitting the pinbox. I did however have to change the release handle on my hitch so that it wasn't any higher than the bed rails.

Good luck,
Mark
Mark,
Is it hard to change the release handle - I'm a newbie on fifth wheels and I would really like to have a folding cover, but I saw that the handle is sticking up over the bed - thanx

Rrloren
03-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Nathan , here's the pics. Hope it helps.

//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/pencil.png

RollingHome
03-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Folks, I posted in the general forum the same questions. Do any of you know if the Fold a Cover will go over a RDS transfer tank and allow me to use a combo tank and tool box ? My intentions are to keep the tank below the side rails of an 8' bed. Also, I know nothing about the Fold a Cover, is it able to be taken off ? Will it be more secure then a soft cover ? I know absolutely nothing about it so any nfo would be appreciated. Nabo, please excuse me for interupting your thread but maybe my questions are helpful to you too.

Rrloren
03-18-2010, 07:11 PM
I have a RDS tank in mine and clearance is good. If your below the rails you should be OK, there are hinge mechanisms on my front panel but they do not hang much below the rails.
There are 2 bolts that need to be loosened to remove the cover and IMO a hard cover is more secure than a soft one but certainly not 100 % secure.

jgallego
03-18-2010, 07:34 PM
I have a Transfer Flow 50 gallon tank in the truck and the fold-a-cover work fine. The tank is below the bed rail.

Jaime

Nabo
03-19-2010, 08:28 PM
WOW - thanks Richard! Great pictures to help understand how the quad folding system works.

Warnerelli
03-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Nathan, I have had three chevy's and on each one I put an ACCESS Roll Up cover. Very low profile and easy to use. I am sold on these as far as soft covers go. They also make one that butts up to a bed tool box, which I now have. I currently have a low profile tool box with the access cover butted up to it and neither interfere with the my fifth wheel hitch or when pulling our cyclone. In 60 seconds the cover is rolled toward the cab for hook up and when unhooked is secured over the bed within another sixty seconds. Just key in Access roll up cover and you should find it with no problem.