Newbie Quesion about Stopping for Gas When Hitched

CRLYHDS

As many of you know on the forum, we are new to the towing world. We are going on our first "long" trip to Death Valley next week. We have never filled up with gas while towing. Does everyone just go to truck stops? Any advice is always appreciated.

BruteForce

As many of you know on the forum, we are new to the towing world. We are going on our first "long" trip to Death Valley next week. We have never filled up with gas while towing. Does everyone just go to truck stops? Any advice is always appreciated.

It depends on how long your rig is. I go wherever I can fit. With the toy hauler connected, I'm probably around 60' long. Some stations just don't provide me the angle to pull in, so in those cases, I will pull into a Flying-J, etc.

2010augusta

I try to stop at truck stops when ever possible. Some large gas station are okay, but be very careful when entering and exiting. I know from experience just how fast things can go wrong when making a tight turn out of a station. Here are a couple shots from my accident leaving a shell station in Garberville CA. From now on if it is not a BIG station I will find a lot or street to drop the trailer on and unhitch. I only takes a few minutes and can save a lot of headaches

Attachments

• DSCN7948 [640x480].JPG
    DSCN7948 [640x480].JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCN7952 [640x480].JPG
    DSCN7952 [640x480].JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 130

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
If you do have to stop at an older station, watch the overhead canopy. Alot of them are a little low.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Re: Newbie Quesion about Stopping for DIESEL When Hitched

I never fill up with the trailer connected. However I have a 45gal Aux tank in the truck.

One thing don't use GAS. Use Diesel Fuel. !!!

If you only have an OEM tank you might take a couple of 5 gal gas cans. That is what we did, but be sure you can pour the gas into the tank. We had to get a good funnel.

If you go to American Tank web site you can see the tank I had installed. It works with the OEM gas gauge and you switch between tanks electrically. They can send it to you and you can have it installed.

Hope this helps

BC

tmcran

I use truck stops or stations with large turning areas. For the first time a truck stop may be best. Be sure to pull up after you fill up at a truck stop if you use a truck lane. You will in most cases have to go in to pay after you fill . Pulling up lets anyone behind you pull in and start filling. At a Flying J if you fill in the RV lane it is not so easy to pull up as there may not be room. However, usually you can pay at the pump. Take you time and you will be fine. You will be a old hand after a few times.

sandman

:cool:Hey guys just wanted to say we have a 29 ft sundance and it fits in most stations just watch turning into the pumps and the roof and we are going to be in death valley at the end of the week maybe we will run in to each other have a good trip.:D

tmcran

I never fill up with the trailer connected. However I have a 45gal Aux tank in the truck.

One thing don't use GAS. Use Diesel Fuel. !!!

If you only have an OEM tank you might take a couple of 5 gal gas cans. That is what we did, but be sure you can pour the gas into the tank. We had to get a good funnel.

If you go to American Tank web site you can see the tank I had installed. It works with the OEM gas gauge and you switch between tanks electrically. They can send it to you and you can have it installed.

Hope this helps

BC

10-4 on the bigger fuel tank. After our first long trip and having to start looking for fuel about evey 200 miles I got the Titan 52 gal. tank that replaces the OEM tank.

I have to use the bed of my TV when not RVing and the in bed tank would not work for me. It is worth every penny to be able to go about 500 miles without a refill.

Bighurt

Since your a diesel just use the truck stops, or drop the trailer out of town, when touring those mountain communities.

I've put a tractor and 40' trailer in some interesting places, sometimes you just have to be the aggressor or very patience. That being said taking a right hand turn from a 2 lane street to another with a 40' trailer can be real interesting particularly if oncoming traffic isn't paying attention.

For maneuvering alone you'll be glad you have the 5th wheel vs bumper pull.

rvn4fun

All the above have good points. After our first trip from South Dakota to California we learned the worse part of the trip was trying to find a place to fill diesel fuel with the trailor on, especially in California. At times out there we only could fill without the trailor. Now with the big truck we still fill if we find a good place when our tank is half full, even though we can hold 100 gallons. If you see a truck stop and you are down to half stop and fill, this will save a lot of anxiety as the lower half disapeers and no truck stop in sight. Now that we are semi retired we only travel about 200 miles a day but if we see a Flying J or similar we stop and fill, I like the tank guage to show full even if the wallet isn't.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Hannah, I always use a Flying J truck stop if I can. There are plenty of them on I-5 and HWY 99. We also use them to eat and to sleep in. They have the RV lanes to fuel and no canopies to worry about. If you need to rest or sleep a little, just pull around back with the BIG OL' TRUCKS. Just dont open your slides. Some BIG OL'TRUCK might remove it with you in it. BTW, you might want to look into Flying J's fuel discount card. It is worth it if you use alot of fuel in a year. Web site...http://www.flyingj.com/flyingjPorta...gj/diesel/dieselPricePageFlow/getDieselPrices Have a good time camping. Remember .....SLOW and EASY...WIDE TURNS....STAY AWAY FROM THE IDIOTS IN CARS...STAY WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY BACK FROM TRAFFIC IN FRONT OF YOU. BOB

jimtoo

A couple of things about a truck stop is if you go into truck lanes... watch the fuel nozzles, they are usually larger for faster fuel delivery. They do not work in the factory filler necks unless you really go slow with full attention. They usually will work in the inbed aux tanks. Also I have found that they advertise one price and if you use credit card they charge extra at some of them... The posted price is cash only and it can amount to as much as 12-15 cents a gallon at some of the places.

Just be careful entering and exiting the fuel stops.

Jim M

Bighurt

Also I have found that they advertise one price and if you use credit card they charge extra at some of them... The posted price is cash only and it can amount to as much as 12-15 cents a gallon at some of the places.
Jim M

That's funny, here Cash, Check or Debit gets an $.08 discount per gallon. Posted is credit or at the pump price.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that truck stops go through high volume, which means that the fuel is usually fresh, some stations rarely sell diesel fuel so they may have old watery stuff, just cause its cheaper doesn't mean better. A few cents here may mean a grand for new injectors.

cjbearden

Visitor

We are big fans of Flying J also and have the discount card. Primarily for the ease of in and out, the restaurant, and the fresher fuel. If we see a Wal-mart with diesel that looks like it would be an easy in/out, we also use them. DH has pulled into the truck side of some stations and he hates those large nozzles also. You just have to watch what you are doing and take it slow. He carries leather gloves to use each time he fuels. Happy travels. C.J.

Cimriver

Only once have I gotten into a spot where I had to fuel up, but couldn't find a station I could get into. I ended up dropping the fifth-wheel at a rest stop and going to get fuel. I always carry at least two 6 gallon jugs of fuel to avoid this. I considered a replacement tank but didn't feel the increased fuel capacity was worth the cost. I have a short bed so an in bed tank really doesn't work either. So I tote my fuel jugs!

jnbhobe

Most everyone on here with an auxillary tank and a SRW truck is a short bed. So you really don't have to tote fuel jugs. :eek::eek::eek:

2010augusta

A couple of things about a truck stop is if you go into truck lanes... watch the fuel nozzles, they are usually larger for faster fuel delivery.

I have found that the large nozzles WILL work with our F-450 and I hate having to use the "auto-sized" diesel pumps, they take forever to fill all 60 gallons in our tanks, and that is factory capacity no extra tanks for us yet.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

I don't have a problem with the BIG OL' TRUCK nozzles. They worked fine on my 05 and 07 2500 chebby. BTW, Hannah, when you get to the Dakota's you can try out the BIO-FUEL. Ran just fine in the 05 and seemed to run quiter and smoother. Bob

tmcran

I have had no problems with the larger nozzles. I like them.

tmcran

To each his own. But when ya have 40+K invested in a TV and 35-60K in an RV.. an extra 1K doesn't seem to be to much of an out lay for the extended range and lack of worry of running out of fuel. We got caught in a traffic jam for over 2 hrs on our first trip and were very near empty. After that got the 52 gal Titan...