Newbie Quesion about Stopping for Gas When Hitched

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Re: Newbie Quesion about Stopping for DIESEL When Hitched

The 2010 F350 we have has a bigger filler neck so the truck nozzles work fine.

CRLYHDS

Thanks for all the input. Yes I meant to type diesel instead of gas. Yes, we are looking into an aux tank. You have posted info I never would have known, I love this forum and the members.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Bighurt

The 2010 F350 we have has a bigger filler neck so the truck nozzles work fine.

08-10 all had bigger necks than the older models and the other makes. I only have flow problems but you can cut your vent and neck from the inside of the tank and help with capacity and flow. I haven't done the mod yet as I am hoping to put a 67gal Titan in the beast.

jnbhobe

The 99 to 02 Fords had a small fill hole that only a automobile nozzel would fit. The 03 to 11 trucks will take the big truck nozzel. On my early trucks I just took a chisel ( screwdriver ) and hammer and cut the small restriction out. WFM.:cool: :cool: JON

Cimriver

I know I can put an auxillary tank in my shortbed F-350, but feel it takes up too much room in the bed. I could see it in a longer bed.

Last edited:

RoadJunkie

Look around the gas station for a diesel only island. I have sweated out low-hanging covers only to find they had a dedicated fuel island especially for the larger (taller) rigs; Made me feel sorta dumb. I also travel on less traveled roads (non interstate) and you can't always find the huge truck stops for fuel. Dropping (I mean, disconnecting) the rig is sometimes the safest and less stressful way to go.

tmcran

I know I can put an auxillary tank in my shortbed F-350, but feel it takes up too much room in the bed. I could see it in a longer bed.

I had the same problem and replaced OEM 26 gallon tank with Titian 52 gal tank. Best $$$ I have spent.

SueJean

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CSueJean%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CSueJean%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> ♫♪ :cool:

"On the road again!" <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CSueJean%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> ♫♪

You might think you've got this all worked out and then...................:eek:

DH is wonderful about planning out our routes with fuel stops in mind as we don't currently have an extra tank and are limited to about 200 miles comfortably. With this in mind, we're currently heading east and had two unhappy fueling experiences in the last two days.

I posted on the first in the route planning thread concerning a stop at a "Little America" in Flagstaff, AZ. This was our first near-close encounter with a low overhead.

The second happened at a "Flying J" in Amarillo, TX at I-40 exit 76. They have a very narrow entrance to their RV pump station with their propane filling station on the right hand side. I pointed it out to DH as it's apparent that quite a few people have misjudged their turn from the street into the pump lane.

The barrier/barricade around the large propane tank is damaged from being repeatedly hit. I took a picture of it as we pulled in with less than a foot of clearance between our rig and the broken pipe end of the barrier.

As we were pulling out, a class A with a "toad" pulled in behind us. I don't think he was aware of the tight entrance and it appeared from my perspective that he managed to add some of the paint from his "toad" to the already highly "decorated" pipe end. I'm sure he wasn't very happy about that. :(

This just might be a "Flying J" to be avoided if at all possible.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CSueJean%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

argyll1st

I really dont need an extended fuel tank , because I normally need to "PEE" every 3 hours anyway and thats about 200 miles !!!!!!!!

wdk450

But you can always pull over to the side of the road, unfold the steps, use the potty in the trailer, and be on your way.

I really dont need an extended fuel tank , because I normally need to "PEE" every 3 hours anyway and thats about 200 miles !!!!!!!!

SilverRhino

The second happened at a "Flying J" in Amarillo, TX at I-40 exit 76. They have a very narrow entrance to their RV pump station with their propane filling station on the right hand side. I pointed it out to DH as it's apparent that quite a few people have misjudged their turn from the street into the pump lane.

The barrier/barricade around the large propane tank is damaged from being repeatedly hit. I took a picture of it as we pulled in with less than a foot of clearance between our rig and the broken pipe end of the barrier.

As we were pulling out, a class A with a "toad" pulled in behind us. I don't think he was aware of the tight entrance and it appeared from my perspective that he managed to add some of the paint from his "toad" to the already highly "decorated" pipe end. I'm sure he wasn't very happy about that. :(

This just might be a "Flying J" to be avoided if at all possible.

I know this Flying J well.....avoid it....there are plenty of alternatives in the vicinity..don't risk it. I usually try to use truck stops with or without my trailer. Getting poor quality fuel or water in your system is not worth what you might save!

Travel Safe!

Jim-n-Leslie

Truck stops are great - plenty of room. I use regular service stations when I can see that they have adequate clearance. Many put the diesel pumps on the outer lanes so the larger vehicles do not have to worry about that issue. I found myself once traveling and getting extremely low on fuel. I finally pulled into a service station. It had clearance above, but was quite tight getting through. My wife came to appreciate the size of our BH when we filled pretty much the entire service station pull through. ;)
Jim

I have found that the large nozzles WILL work with our F-450 and I hate having to use the "auto-sized" diesel pumps, they take forever to fill all 60 gallons in our tanks, and that is factory capacity no extra tanks for us yet.

Filling the TV with a 4012 behind you does put your whits on end. I have thought about adding a aux tank to the bed but have yet too.

I also have a F-450 but it did not come with a 60 gal tank. How did you score that one?

2010augusta

our's is a 2006 and has no spare tire, so the rear tank is 40 gal and the mid-ship tank is another 20.