Fan

DickO

I know this was discussed but, I failed to pay attention. I can't find in search.

Our ceiling fan wabbles badly. What is the fix?

jbeletti

Dick,

Check so see if there is a screw missing. Especially where the blade brackets bolt to the motor. Wobble usually means no longer in balance. Something is off or on the unit/blades - most likely. Maybe give a good cleaning, top to bottom in order to inspect at the same time.

Jim

rick_debbie_gallant

may also be just a screw loose and not even missing. When ever I put up a new fan (and i have done a lot) I will first do a run in with the screws a little loose. let the fan stop and then tighten the screws. some times it works and some times it dont.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dick, if you do find some loose screws. Remove them 1 at a time and put lock-tite or nail polish on the threads. Did that on mine 2 years ago...no problem since. BTW, you can get replacement screws at HD or Lowes. Bob

branson4020

Icantre Member
My fan had loose screws but even after getting everything tightened up, it was still badly out of balance. Balancing is easy. I used a thick 1/2" flat washer as a weight and glued it to the top side of the blade with Gorilla glue. To figure out the balance point, first attach the washer temporarily with a couple of stout rubber bands. Move it from blade-to-blade until you make a positive difference. Then move it in or out on the blade to get the best results. Its easier than it sounds.