Fire Extinguishers

Z71-K9

Does anyone add or upgrade the number of fire extinguishers in their campers? The factory one seems inadequate. I was thinking of adding one in bunk room and one in the front bedroom.

currituck0209

I added 2 of the Tundra Fire ext., I purchased at wal-mart. They look just like a spray can & work the same way. We put one on each night stand.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Many of us have upgraded/added fire suppression equipment to our RVs and TVs. Check out Mac the Fire Guys website for wonderful information and products. I have attended his seminar on fire safety. Very good information. Here is his link. http://www.macthefireguy.com/ He even has an online course. I don't know if he will be at the national rally or not but if you ever get a chance to go to his seminar I highly recommend it.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I agree with Jim Gratz. We took Mac the Fire Guy's course at a Life on Wheels siminar in 2007. Go to his website and check out the Extinguishers. I have some of his older ones but have not needed to use one as yet.

BC

loafer

Just went to Mac the fire guys web site and his schedule shows he will be at Nashville rally
Looking forward to attending his seminar
as info Bill

irvin56

Thanks for the idea of adding more. We never had one in old unit and never thought of one untill we got this unit.

olcoon

I was a volunteer fireman for about 20 years, and here is a little tip I learned along the way. The way the rigs bounce & vibrate going down the road, the powder inside them can become packed. If this happens, when you squeeze the lever either nothing but gas will come out, or not all of the powder will come out. So, before you squeeze the lever, if you'll hit the bottom of the extinguisher on the ground/pavement hard enough to loosen the powder, they should work like they are supposed to. It would be a good idea to learn how to use extinguisher because through the years I've been fo numerous scenes where someone tried to use one, did it improperly, and didn't put out the fire, when if they had known how to use it, could have put out the fire!

wdk450

Gang:
A couple of extinguisher questions.
1) Do the DMV codes require an extinguisher in the truck? I was reading the summary of the driving test for the Ca. non-commercial class A license (required for GVW>15,000 lbs) and it said that the inspector would want to see your emergency triangle reflectors and fire extinguisher.
2)I have seen Halon extinguishers for sale on Craigs list and EBay. I like the idea of no powder residue, their supposed superior extinguishing capabilities, and their non-impact on people. I thought these were banned in the Ozone layer CFC legislations of the 1990's. Are they a good idea??