Fresh Water Fill (Poor Design)

bigbird272

I have tried to fill my fresh water tank but hardly any water goes in before it back flushes out the filler tube. When I looked behind the docking station the filler hose tends to go uphill before going down into the basement where the tank is located. Is there a fix? I know some people get a water hose and cut off the end then stuff it down the filler pipe about 6 feet to ensure they are getting water into the tank. This should not be necessary but I guess it is something to look at. It is a very poor design and something should be done in the future to fix this.

Rick Chodat
2009 3580 Bighorn

jimtoo

Hi Rick,

I know there have been some problems with filling the water tank for some, usually it is because to much hose is left, or a dip in the vent tube that traps some water. But a poor design?? RV manuf's been doing it for years. Probably just need to lift or straighten or even shorten the vent hose a little to stop your problem.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

argyll1st

Hey bigbird, if you get that sorted out you can show me how when I stop of as Pacific on my way back to Seattle in 2 weeks, we were going to stop there last week when we were heading for the Island but we managed to get through the border in 15 min so just headed straight to the last ferry, great park by the way.

boatdoc

Bigbird, This problem has been going on since Heartland opened it's doors. The same guy doing the same thing for all these years, 6 or 7 now!! Some one has to get under the rig and drop the belly liner and zip tie or nylon clamp the vent hose up where it SHOULD be. It's an age old problem that many, many of us have had and had to fix. There are plenty of posts on how to do it and it isn't all that hard. Chopperbill has one of the better ones. Good luck PS: We love out BH.

bigbird272

Hey there John. The hose was cut down during pdi but I still could not get water in the other day. I went and got a piece of flexible tubing and inserted it about 4 ft into the fresh water fill tube. Then filled it up with no problem. The air was just shooting out of the vent by the fill pipe. All seems ok now. I am in site 40 at the Pacific Border R. V. Park. Drop by and we can exchange horror stories over happy hour.

Rick

davconfl

I have had the same problem with filling my tank (3670RL). I was only getting about 1/3 of a tank. I now put the water hose up tight to the fill hole , a large air bubble comes out and then the tank fills all the way. I have done this dozens of times and it fills every time. Good luck. David <><

bigbird272

I manage to fill mine as I said by putting a flexible piece of plastic tubing about 3 ft into fill pipe after attaching it to the water hose. It worked great. I was at an R. V. parts place the other day and they had a similar thing to what I had made. It had a 2 ft plastic tube combined with a connection to the hose and a water shutoff at the end. It was around $8 Canadian. It said you could fill your water tanks in half the time. This may be the answer. Anyway, what I made works just fine.

Rick

lwmcguir

The fill line adapter is available in most camper supply houses that has about an 8 inch of 1/2 inch PVC on the end. Keep in mind if you have the double tanks like on our Landmark and you get water in the vent line then you wont get the tanks full. Have to watch that. It is a pain filling them for sure.