propane right hand slow to switch over

mikeandconnie

Hello everyone. I need some help. I keep running out of propane and when I switch to the other side it takes several hours before the heat will operate. Also when I read the tanks, they switch from full to empty within seconds even when I have two full tanks. Has anyone else been having this problem? What do I need to do. I am getting cold at night, I go to bed and the heat is nice and warm and by 4am the heat turns off and I start to freeze. HELP. Our Rig is only two months old

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Are you operating with both tanks open and the selector set to one tank? Or are you waiting until the first tank runs out and then manually switching to the second one, after opening it up? That can introduce air into the line, which needs to be bled off (usually by lighting the stove to get gas flowing) before your system will work properly. With both tanks full, they should both be open and the valve indicator set to one side, not in the middle. When one side runs out, the valve should switch to the other tank, and the indicator change to red. The selector switch will not move, however. You have to do that (the indicator should now change back to green) and then take the empty tank for filling. Reconnect the filled tank and open the valve on it, but do not switch the selector back over until your second tank empties and the indicator turns red for it.

If your furnace is fuel-starved, it will attempt to light three times before it gives up. Until you get the air out of the lines, it won't work.

A caveat to all of this is that those selector valves are not always 100% reliable and you could empty both tanks and not show "red" until they are. Had that little experience with our previous TT. How are you "reading" the tanks? And are you sure there's no leak in the lines?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I had that same issue with the doorside tank not wanting to work right. I ended up replacing the supply hose and regulator for that side and it works fine now. FYI - I leave the doorside turned off until the ODS tank goes empty. I then turn off the ODS tank, SLOWLY turn on the DS tank and turn the indicator to the proper tank. Then I get the empty tank filled. I have never left them both open because then I could run completely out and not know it until it is too late. Remember to open the tank valve slowly because the supply hose has a pressure sensitive valve in it that will shut off the flow if it flows to much. By turning it on slowly the valve does not activate. My hose had a defective valve in it and that is why I had to replace it. Good luck..