Preventing Tank Fumes in the Camper

imchud

I read somewhere on the H/L fourm a post about adding a "vent cap" that would be mounted on the roof on the vent pipe to help keep the blank tank fume's out of the camper? about a week ago we were at the camper and I was adding some of the tank deoderizer the fumes from the tank filled the camper (it had been closed up for two weeks) And yes I did flush the black tank before we left. We had the A/C going and i could actually smell it coming from the vents??/ It went away after about an hour or so but i would like to prevent it from happining again, any ideas??? thanks.

TOM

scotty

Hi Tom,

I think this is what most are putting on. I bought one and have it on the bench... but have not installed it yet.

Jim M

I installed these on both the black and gray. I put the one on the black because when I had the toilet room vent open I would get fumes. This did not solve that. Still get the fumes, have to keep the vent closed. I have the vent cover installed as well. This may be due to the black vent being so close to the toilet room vent. Anyway I'm sure they will work good during a stron wind or when running down the road. Not knocking the cyclones, just didn't do for me what I wanted.

Thanks Jim - I think thats what i was thinking of, I will get one coming.

Tom

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When we had the TT, this kind of problem was constant. We have not had a problem with our BH, though. One thought is that you may not be adding enough water back into the tank after dumping and flushing. Just flushing the toilet after use really does not put enough water into the tank to dissolve the goods, even if you add bottles of chemical. I add between 5 - 10 gallons of water after dumping, including a bucket full of water with 2 cups of Calgon dissolved in it.

imchud

When we had the TT, this kind of problem was constant. We have not had a problem with our BH, though. One thought is that you may not be adding enough water back into the tank after dumping and flushing. Just flushing the toilet after use really does not put enough water into the tank to dissolve the goods, even if you add bottles of chemical. I add between 5 - 10 gallons of water after dumping, including a bucket full of water with 2 cups of Calgon dissolved in it.

Thanks for the information guys... My B/H is currently at RV Capital for some repairs and to hunt down a water leak (which they found) I pick it up this friday, but i called them today and had them add two Cyclone vent caps, I figure it can't hurt?

John, thats a good idea, after i flushed the tank I only put a small amount of water (few gallons) back into the tank, I also put calgon into the tank, but not until i show up for the next camping weekend... Next time I will put it in before i leave.

Tom