The Sad Story of Larryheadhunter's Totaled Big Horn

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hi everyone,
Many Heartland owners and friends have asked me about my 2009 Big Horn 3400RE, and the fact it is now gone, totaled, but not forgotten. It's not a pretty story but that's the way a RV bounces. It goes something like this........

I guess I should hate Flag City RV Park in Lodi. That's the park where my rig got totaled in March 2010, as well as the place I was forced to turn around and head home in early June, and endure my spinal fusion, instead of going on to the Oregon Rally and a 2 month summer trip.

Back this March 2010, we were stopping in Lodi, before heading on to Deb Duryee's Oroville No Cal Rally. We woke up one bright and cheery morning and hitched up the rig, or so I thought. Unfortunately, our hitch decided to fail us, so as we headed out of our site, I heard a loud crash, and voila, the kingpin came out of the hitch, and smashed our tailgate to bits, and fell to the ground behind us. In a flash, I jumped out of the truck, assessed the damage, threw our beautiful new RV Stromberg-Carlson tailgate in the trash, and had a bright idea. So I pressed the extend electric button on our front jacks and like I was hoping, the rig creakingly arose from the ground. I was quite amazed but what the heck, the rig rose up to hitch height, and so we re-hitched, made sure we were locked in this time, and headed out to Oroville, shaking off the accident, and said to my DW Debbi, as I have a few times, LOL " that's what RV insurance is for."

Little did I know, several months later, in the same campground, I would be unable, due to severe shooting pains up and down my legs, to continue on to the Oregon rally. While I was lamenting my horrible pain, that I had ignored, I noticed that there was a crack going from the roof down to the end of the bedroom slide, and a bulge in the other corner of the slide. I had thought the day before, when we were setting up, that the bedroom slide wasn't working too smoothly. Luck shows itself in weird ways I found out later. We were meeting Art and Teresa Mitchell, Heartland Chapter Leaders of Central CA that morning, to caravan up to Redding. When they saw my physical condition, Teresa's mother instinct came out and she insisted we turn around and go home, as I could barely walk, although I was determined to continue on to our next stop on the way to Winchester Bay, OR. Several minutes later came a phone call from John and Lori Dawson, our new Heartland Pacific Region Directors, with the same directive. Thanks, my good friends for setting me straight. As many of you know, once I got home, I was soon in the operating room to enjoy a 6 1/2 hour lumbar spinal fusion surgery, but that story is in another thread.

The bottom line is pretty cut and dried. A few days before the surgery, I dragged my butt out of bed and drove the rig over to a Progressive Insurance RV repair facility in Lake Elsinore,CA. Soon thereafter, I got a surprise phone call from the insurance adjuster. Guess what, I had 3 breaks in the frame welds and the cost to repair it was over $40,000. Holy cow, when it rains, it pours. To make a long story short, the other day, they decided to total our baby, after hauling it 22,000 loving miles since February 2008. Yesterday, I signed the papers, and it is now a done deal, heading to the salvage yard next Monday.

This coming Saturday will be the Big Horn 3400RE funeral, so anyone who lives in SoCal, that wants parts, including four nearly new Goodyear 614 tires, can come to the Giant RV repair facility, and help us pack up our belongings, as we head home to San Clemente, to continue my personal repair job, oops, recovery from my surgery. If you live close by, and want to hear what's available to scavengers, please PM, email or call me. The caveat is you have to help us pack, just like Bob and Patty, our illustrious So Cal Chapter Leaders, are being kind enough to do, while I sit and direct. The doc said no BLT's, (no bending, twisting, or lifting for 6 months).

We will still see all of the attendees at the 2010 SoCal Fall Buellton Rally in mid-October at Flying Flags RV Resort. You can find us in one of the cabins next to Jim Beletti, our HL Director of Owner Interests.

And that's the end of my story. The lesson to be learned is, make sure you have completed your check list before leaving a campground. That includes making sure your hitch is locked in good and tight. Come early next year, Debbi and I hope to be driving our new 2011 3500HD Chevy Silverado, hauling a new 2012 Heartland Landmark down the road to our next destination.

Delaine and Lindy

Wow, Larry thats like reading a novel. Sorry to hear things like that but as you know, it happens. Sounds as if your on the road to recovery, I have a back issues also but nothing compaired to your issue. Thats why I'm up now, just wasn't able to sleep. Good luck on your adventure, sounds as if a Landmark might be in your future. Good Luck. GBY...

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Wow Larry, that's quite a tale! When you go, you go big, all the way around! Sorry that this happened and glad nobody got hurt!

As a side note, when we bought our first 5th and the dealership was teaching us how to hitch up. the thing I remember most is...

"once you are hitched to the truck, raise the landing gear about an inch off the ground, leave the tailgate down and try to pull out from under it with the trailer brakes fully applied". If you experience failure your rig will only fall about an inch to the ground and probably save a great amount of damage.

As embarrassing as this situation may have been to you, your outward expression may just save someone else from the same fate. Great post and wish you continued success with your recovery!

PSF513

LARRY: In a past life (if you believein that) you must have been a storyteller. I have seen a 5er come off a truck at a cg behind a late 60s vintage restored Dodge 1 ton. Suffice it to say, it was not pretty. The man was far more concerned for his truck than his rig. He did the same thing you did and left. I often wonder what happened.

Nice to see you are still out there and getting better. Remember my wife's words "If you are half as bad a patient as I am, you'lll beat this in no time just by being yourself [ornery]"

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Truly a sad story with a great ending. The pain from the back injury should be ended and the pain of the RV loss will be replaced with the fun of making the new one yours. Great choice on a truck too! Best wishes to you Larry...

wdk450

Larry:
Do you classify this incident as a hitch problem, or an operator malfunction?
What brand of hitch? Did the locking bar go fully in? Are you still going to use that hitch?

Best regards, get well and out there soon!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Ouch! Would a Bed-Saver have prevented that? I look at them from time to time, maybe as insurance against "Sometimers Disease."

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Glad to hear everything will turn out alright in the end. I always tell my kids that God has a plan (we just don't know it) for us and if we let things work out in His way we will be better off for it. The moral of your story is you will end up with a healed body and a new RV. What a great deal. Take care.

2010augusta

When we were loading up to head to the OR rally, we mis-hitched, and I was happy that I could not secure the safety pin. I yanked on the handle and it finally released. Hitch up again and did the pull test and everything was good the 2nd time.

Had another gentlemen leaving the park about the same time and dropped their unit right in the middle of the street and had traffic blocked for about 15 minutes while they got it raised and re-hitched.

Larry don't morn too long, heal up, and go get yourselves a nice Landmark. Then finish your trip and come see us here in Gig Harbor.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Congrads Lar, but I knew of this before you posted it. You know why. Lar, I'm glad your back is getting better you know that. BTW, did anyone notice that he's is going to buy a Chevy this time.....WHOOOOOOOOPIE.

Jim-n-Leslie

John -
When I bought my hitch, I also bought a bed-saver. Once upon a time, in a rush, I failed to fully raise the trailer when un-hitching and, when I "let her go" (pulled forward), it slid back and down into the bed saver, preventing extensive and costly damage to my truck. I learned my lesson, and do the full test and verify routine whenever I hitch-up or un-hitch, but would still buy a bed-saver if I were to buy a new truck. Better safe than sorry, I say!
Jim

Netem

I noticed that Bob. Did you have anything to do with that or did he just see how badddd that new Chevy is?
By the way I'm still welding metal in the old 48 CHEBY anything new on the 58?

Bob&Patty

Neil, nothing new to report. I think it's is still in the garage. DW has been packing her crap all around it. I thought I saw the roof last week. She has been given fair warning that a dumpster is going to be unloaded at any time. I almost had a heart attack. Larry called me and told me he hated his Furd. It was his idea....I just nudged him along.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John -
When I bought my hitch, I also bought a bed-saver. Once upon a time, in a rush, I failed to fully raise the trailer when un-hitching and, when I "let her go" (pulled forward), it slid back and down into the bed saver, preventing extensive and costly damage to my truck. I learned my lesson, and do the full test and verify routine whenever I hitch-up or un-hitch, but would still buy a bed-saver if I were to buy a new truck. Better safe than sorry, I say!
Jim

What's worse, spending $250 (approx.) for that and never "employing" it or enduring the scorn and ridicule of the entire campground (not to mention the wife's) when they hear KABOOM/CRUNCH? And then having to pony up the $500 insurance deductible. Santa Claus may have to get into a weight lifting program this year so he can put one in my stocking (might have to hang some XXXXL panty hose up so it'll fit.) My brother-in-law customized his previous truck that way several years ago. Fortunately, he didn't damage the trailer. Guess it was tougher than his Ford pickup bed.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
All I can say is that if none if this hadn't happened, I wouldn't be buying a new 2012 Landmark and a new 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD, so I happen to look at this situation as the glass is over flowing with some awesome RV trips. How's that sound to you folks? As I tell my wonderful DW Debbi, " isn't that what RV insurance is for?"

Bob&Patty

" and Debbi, I promise that I will always do the pull test from now on like Bob told me to." Debbi, " I want you to write that 1000 times so you wont forget." " if you do that again, your are grounded."

4ever

Sorry to hear about your problems. Sure hope your recovery goes well and ahead of schedule. We also dropped our 5th wheel last year on the truck. We only had some minor damage to our truck and nothing really to the trailer. guess we we were very lucky. I guess the bright side is that you get to look forword to a new trailer. Just not ncessarily they way you want to get there.

Good luck with your recovery.

ted