swaying

mountain1

May be no answer but my wife is a light sleeper and notices every time the 5th wheel moves during the night. Since we have four or five dogs in the back it moves everytime the dogs moves. Since I am an old Infantryman I sleep right through it. I have the back and front jacks down and purchased two stablelizers one for the two bigger slide outs but it still moves whenever someone or thing moves. Is there any other thing I can do to reduce it? As I said it may be mission impossible but if I cna take away some more sway I would like to do it.

Thanks,

navyAZ1

May be no answer but my wife is a light sleeper and notices every time the 5th wheel moves during the night. Since we have four or five dogs in the back it moves everytime the dogs moves. Since I am an old Infantryman I sleep right through it. I have the back and front jacks down and purchased two stablelizers one for the two bigger slide outs but it still moves whenever someone or thing moves. Is there any other thing I can do to reduce it? As I said it may be mission impossible but if I cna take away some more sway I would like to do it.

Thanks,

I am in no way an expert but the factory folks including those from Lippert told me you should never place stabilzers under your slideouts. Reason being you can never stop all the movement in the coach as long as the tires are touching the ground, this being said if you stabilize the slideouts the coach is still moving and the slides are not and this can cause the slideouts to become out of alignment causing problems when you bring them in or out. Just my opinion, I made some stabilizers to use under our main slide but as soon as I was told this info I stopped the use of them and got rid of them.

We use a tripod on our pin box, it is one I made out of aluminum tubing, it has 2 legs opposite each other with the 3rd leg just for stabilization it has worked well and since we had the TrailAir Triglide pin box installed I think it works even better. I can't say for sure why it works better since we had the pin box changed but we feel very little movement in the coach when we are set up.

Good Luck,

Ron & Ann

mountain1

thank you for the information. The local RV sales place told me I really needed those braces for the slides but your logic nmakes sense and if the manufacture says no then I will not use them. Of course I threw away the box so they probably will not get my money back but so be it.

Thanks again to you both.

jnbhobe

Use the JT's, they work better than any tripod ever will. But if you want the best put on the level-up from trail-air.

lhetsler

If you want to try the simple less expensive things first, I found that using the chalks that use a screw to wedge between the tires takes a lot of motion out of our Bighorn. The chalk wedges that lay on the ground while they keep the trailer from rolling down the hill, do nothing to stop sway.

lwmcguir

JT strong-arms or ultra-fab Eliminators are braces that work very well.

Throw in the expandable wheel chocks tightened well and you should eliminate about 80% of it. Slide stands scare me. What happens if you have a flat tire while parked? Be sure the rear jacks are taking on a bit of load as well.

jcarnevale

Recheck the rear jacks daily. My rig always seem to settle the most during the first 24 hours. I often find the rear jacks not doing anything a day later.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I use a set of stack jacks. two on each side of the trailer. one in front of the tires and one in back of the tires. on the frame, they seem to help a lot.