Don't want to get shock over shocks

jpajax

Would like to move the shocks up to the right angle but would like to know if they would be any implication about the warranty both from Heartland and with Lippert?

ChopperBill

Re: Don't want to get shocked over shocks

If I encounter a problem with my shocks I am just going to take 'em off. The old trailer didn't need 'em and I don't think this one does either.

boatdoc

I took our horizontal shocks off when I changed out our last set of springs and we don't see or feel a difference.

branson4020

Icantre Member

Gary,

Do you notice any sign of stuff getting tossed around (more than usual) in the trailer after a day of traveling?

jpajax

There seems to more things moving around since the day I brought it home. I figure this is from the springs settling down. But the main thing is they are there for a reason and I want them to work as best as they can because we all know that these leaf springs are not the top of the line. By having the shocks work in the wright way it should take some bounce out the camper which should take some strain off the springs. This just my way of thinking.

boatdoc

Gary,

Do you notice any sign of stuff getting tossed around (more than usual) in the trailer after a day of traveling?

Not at all, in fact last years run down South a good test for being nonshocked and I5 did it's best to kill everything and the trailer and all inside did just fine. I think if you go back on some other threads people have said the same thing about being shockless.

lwmcguir

Unless I have air ride then my coach will have shocks. Even in the odd angle they still provide at least 60% of the travel. If the shock is good then that helps. I think the best thing to do would be to upgrade the shock to a good nitrogen unit. I have never had a low end camper without shocks and never will. To me that would be like letting your TV shocks get bad and wonder why your tires cupped out. Certainly my opinion and it come from pulling trailers millions of miles. That small benefit you get will ultimately help reduce the amount of wear and tear on your coach. If you add that up over the years it counts. I haven't looked at the upper end of the coaches but I remember shocks either being standard or an upgrade on all of them we were looking at in the past. This would be in the Yellowstone type line up so they were in the medium price range. Bottom line shocks take the shock. Bette yet check your spring manual for the proper spring arch, measure and if you don't have it in the range, change the springs to the next 500# increment up-wards.