my 21FBS gray tank drains slow (do they all do this?)

chrispitude

Hi folks!

We are the proud owners of a new 2011 North Trail 21FBS. We had our first camping trip in it this weekend. For the most part, everything went great. At the end of the trip, I did notice one thing at the dump station. On our 2008 Rockwood 2605, pulling the gray tank's valve handle resulted in a big rush of water. About 20-30 seconds later, there was no more flow and you closed the valve and were done. On the 21FBS, when I pulled the gray tank dump valve, there was no big initial rush of water, and it seemed like it took FOREVER for it to stop flowing. In fact, after a few minutes, there was still a stream of water and I just shut the valve. The gauge shows the tank as empty, but it sure took a long time to get there.

So, fellow 21FBS owners, how quickly does your gray tank empty? Is there something about the routing of the dump plumbing on these that slows it down, or is there something going on with my unit?

I play to try some more experiments here at the house, but I wanted to get some feedback from the collective too. Thanks!

- Chris

Gizzy

We took our new BH3070 for its first outing this past weenend and had the exact same problem. Hope someone will chime in with some good answers.

Paul_in_MN

I had similar problems with my 2010 Elk Ridge, and brought it back to the dealer 2X for warantee work on this problem. Both times the dealer worked on something and told me there was nothing wrong. So I met with the service tech and he went through the dump procedure with me. I had done everything correctly, but just did not understand Heartland's solution to the late season freeze problem. Here is the essence of what he told me..... Our prior trailers had the 3" dump pipe cut into the bottom of the black tank, then a 90 deg elbow, then the gate valve. You pull the valve and WOOSH!!!! stuff is gone. But that plumbing hangs low below the belly of the coach and can freeze up. So now he says the 3" plumbing hole is cut into the lower side of the tank, and the dump valve is located at that same level, all above the coach belly, in the supposedly heated space so it can't freeze up. But the trade off is much slower dumping, and incomplete dumping as you'll never get out what is in the bottom of the tank. Personally, I think this problem needs to be re-engineered as I spent 1 hour at a dump station trying to get clean water out of the black tank. I could always get the previous trailer to dump clean in a matter of just a couple of minutes. I want that level of sanitation!! as we are weekend campers and not full timers hooked to a drain pipe. Well, I own this trailer now and I consider this its biggest flaw. Being as we live on a small farm, I do my best at the dump station and then pull the trailer to a side slope on one of my field roads. I try to get the coach to lean hard to the left side, having refilled the black and gray tanks with a lot of fresh water, and then pull the dump valve, essentially watering the crop right there. Both gray tanks have the same slow problem, but I do not get as concerned about the real clean sanitation with them, although they are getting the same "side lean" dump procedure.

Hello Heartland.....I think this is a real problem, and I am not happy with this design, if infact I understood correctly what the tech was telling me.

Paul_in_MN

bozo

chrispitude, Im glad to hear you got your 21FBS. We also have a 2011 NT21FBS. I think you may have a problem. When I open my gray tank valve it only takes about a minute for mine to be drained. This may sound dumb but does it seem like to you the valve is hard to open or not opening all the way. When I pull the handle mine slides what feels like about 5". The other thing is the type of hose that you have if it is a hard hose it may not make as much of a sound. I got a clear 90 with a flush inlet this helps me see whats happening as gross as that may sound. Good luck and keep us informed about how it goes. Happy Camping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bozo

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Another reason tanks dump slow is during the manufacturing process a hole is cut in the tank for the plumbing hookups. The cutout piece may (usually will) fall inside the tank. Since it is left in there at some time in the future it will work its way toward the opening partially blocking the flow. It will normally eventually flow out after many flushings. So flush flush flush until that piece flows out. Mine and my daughter's Trail Runner was slow until it flowed out.