Heater Vents Connections

lizzymit

Good morning,

We have a Bighorn 3610RE and have a question regarding how to remove a lost toothpaste cap that rolled across the floor and disappeared down the heater vent in the floor.

We have tried putting the vacuum hose down the flex pipe and I hasn't worked. We are worried that when we turn the heater on the cap will melt.

Is there a way to remove the flex tube for cleanout before the heater assembly?

Thanks!

jbeletti

Re: Heater Vents Connestions

In the storage basement, look for a flex hose the connects to the vent in the ceiling of that area. That is usually the vent that feeds the bedroom or bathroom. If that is NOT the vent you are looking for, then you will have to remove the wall that separates the storage area from the utility area. Look for the same thing, a flex hose that connects to a floor register in the ceiling of the utility area.

These hoses have a hose clamp on them at the register. You can disconnect it there and try to get the cap out. Another option to maybe try first is to remove the floor register grille and gently send the flex hose of a vacuum cleaner down the heater hose. I do this all the time. Be gentle so as not to puncture the heater hose.

Jim

branson4020

Icantre Member

Or, you could just not worry about it. After all, that flexi heater ducting is, well, plastic.

lizzymit

Thanks for the suggestion. The only flex hose in my storage compartment goes to the bedroom. Looks like I would have to remove a fabric side panel to see the bathroom vent hose. We tried the vacuum hose and it didn't work. Once I fix the problem I may put a small mesh screen over the opening to prevent further accidents.

Jimmy

Leave it alone, it will not hurt anything and don't tell anyone else it is in there. It will just appear right below the vent some day...

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Lizzy, don't worry about it. Maybe someday it will blow out of the duct and hit you in the knee. I looked at my register and I have no idea how a tooth paste cap fell into yours??

OH BOY, another Montanian....we are becoming thick as thieves. Where were you last July?? We had a mini-rally in Big Timber.

Wharton

We have the problem in the bathroom of kitty litter being thrown(ambitious cat) into the vent. Spent 29 cents at Ace for some screen and put it on the vent. May do this for the other floor vents as a precaution.

jbeletti

Good idea on the mesh screen. Below are pictures of what I did in my RV for all the floor vents.

I cut the screening to 11-1/4" x 6-1/4", then wrapped it around the underside of the vent and placed the vent back down into the hole. Put the 2 screws back and viola!

Vent screening was purchased at Lowes. The roll of tape in image 1 was not used. Image 1 is the before, image 6 is the after and the images in between are the project in-progress.

Jim

Attachments

• vent_1.jpg
    vent_1.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 21
  • vent_2.jpg
    vent_2.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 24
  • vent_3.jpg
    vent_3.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 25
  • vent_4.jpg
    vent_4.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 23
  • vent_5.jpg
    vent_5.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 24
  • vent_6.jpg
    vent_6.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 24

sgtbigb

Another ideal is go to quick sign store and ask for the blank magnetic sign material. Cut the material to the size of your vent, spray paint to match color of carpet . Keep dust out and looks good too.

jimtoo

Another ideal is go to quick sign store and ask for the blank magnetic sign material. Cut the material to the size of your vent, spray paint to match color of carpet . Keep dust out and looks good too.

Gene,,, Do they make plastic magnets now??? :D My vents are plastic. :D :D

jimtoo

Your heater vents are plastic! It will not work for you:=[

Oweee...Yes,, sorry... YOU have a LANDMARK.....I have a BIGHORN!!!!! :D :D

But!!!! your vents weigh 16 oz,,,,, mine only weigh 8 oz,,,, so I can carry more ... drinks... :D without overloading my TV. :D

:D :D :D

Jim