Screws not flush

ihsolutions

I have many areas on my 2011 Big Horn where screws are either:

1. Screwed in at an angle, which would seem to allow water to get in
2. Missing
3. Not screwed in all the way

I'm pretty sure that covers every possible problem one could have with screws, other than broken-off heads, which I have also had two of.

What is the best way for me to correct this issue? I have thought of removing the screws, shooting some non-sag dicor in the opening, and then re-insert the screw, which should prevent any water entry. But then this is going to be a maintenance issue for me, especially those with larger gaps.

The apparent rush with which these screws were put in, and resulting lack of quality control are disheartening. I fail to understand why just a little more time isn't spent on this kind of thing, as the resulting level of quality would be so much higher. Another example is shower caulk... mine has leaked since new, and took me all summer to finally get all the leaks identified and sealed.

Attachments

• IMG_0017_Medium.JPG
    IMG_0017_Medium.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0018_Medium.JPG
    IMG_0018_Medium.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0019_Medium.JPG
    IMG_0019_Medium.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 33

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Why not just clean the area around the screws with mineral spirits and apply a dab of caulk.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just about any exterior grade caulk from any hardware or home center would work to seal the holes where you can reinsert the screws. When we had to have the awning and hardware replaced on our TT, the tech used clear silicone into the mounting holes before driving the screws back in.