PDA

View Full Version : Kenda Tires

Chulinw
01-22-2007, 09:56 PM
I just had my first blow out today with the Denda tires that came on my RL3400. After reading old post I should have change these tires out before now. Now I have to call Kenda waranty to get these tires warranty out and the repair damage done to my RV that the tire did when it blew out. Have to keep reading all the old post to find out problems before they happen. The tires had less then 12k miles on them and always check to make sure that they have the correct tire pressure before and durning my time on the road. Check this AM and had the 80 psi. Three hours later was on the side of the road changing the tire while the rig was being rock by the big rigs going by.:mad: Just keep on learning more and more each day.

Chulinw
01-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Got in contact with KendaUSA today and they are going to pro-rate all the tires I have on the RL3400. They are also going to pay for the repairs on the RV. I got in contact with the warranty department at 800 225-4714 ext 231 and talk with Mr. Roger Ansel. He was very co-operative in every manner and he said they want to get the Kenda tires off of the RV's. If you have the Kenda tires give him a call so he can help you before you get damage done to your RV.

phranc
01-23-2007, 08:29 PM
Good post ChulinW, those phone numbers may come in handy
Perhaps there is a way to make your post 'Sticky'...(Jim ? )

--------------------------------------------------
Hi Frank,

Good idea - done!

Hey, it was 80 in Maui today. See you in May.

Jim

Dusty
02-20-2007, 03:27 PM
My Bighorn 3500RL came with those tires on it. At about 14000 miles, I had my first blowout. Fortunately the explosion did on real damage to the trailer. Sure shredded the tire though. On that same trip, I had a large screw puncture another Kenda, when they broke it down to patch it, they found evidence of it separating from the bead. 3 weeks later, I blew another tire on the opposite side of the unit. I didn't even consider that they might be in warrenty,, I just put some Goodyear tires all round on it. It cost a little out of my pocket, but there was no way in **** I was gonna have Kendas on it again, even if they had offered a new set with no proration. uhhhh uhhhh.

Just my 2 cents
Dusty

dennylm
02-21-2007, 11:20 AM
I know this may be a touchy subject, and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here, but I've also read a LOT about how many trailers are overweight out there. I can't help but wonder how many of the blowouts we read about have weight issues as contributing factors? I'm sure that weight isn't the problem in a lot of cases. I'm too am very concerned about the tires we get by default, with no option for upgrades.

I've read so much about blowouts with these cheap tires (on other forums too) that I'm having Butch in Knoxville swap out the tires for new Goodyears before I even take delivery of the trailer. I've also read about the aluminum rims developing pin-hole leaks and causing problems so I skipped on the rims upgrade and I'm having Butch put new American rims on along with the new tires. This may seem like over-kill, but I'd rather bite the proverbial bullet up front than take a chance on a blowout.

Safe towing to all!! :)

Denny

ChopperBill
02-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Take a 10 ply Chinese tire and compare the side walls to a Michelin XPS rib. After you do that you wont even make a tire swing out of the Chinese Tire!

ct0218
02-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Makes sense to me!

Dusty
02-21-2007, 09:02 PM
what the heck is with the triple posting?

jpmorgan37
02-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Dusty;
My guess is there is a glitch somewhere in the system. Jim and I have been trying to catch them.
John

jbeletti
02-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Dusty,

See explantion for duplicate posts here (//heartlandowners.org/showpost.php?p=14522&postcount=1).

Thanks,

Jim

Dusty
02-22-2007, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the explanation Jim
Dusty

cooksrvinn
03-22-2007, 08:56 PM
We have a 3600RL Bighorn with less than 10,000 miles. We keep 100 psi with the load G tires as recommended. We had a blowout where the tire tread just shredded and damaged the wheel well. We are in the process of trying to get it fixed now. We have had problems finding out who makes the Trail America brand tire. Wonder if anyone else has had a problem with these tires.

ct0218
03-22-2007, 10:03 PM
If you do a search in the Bighorn and Landmark Tire forums you will find a lot of info on Trail America tires. Problems, yes, some have had similar blowouts. Others have had good service from them. I haven't noticed a common denominator with the blowouts. The obvious question is---overloaded, or at max load for the tire? Could be just a sorry tire, or poor quality control. Not enough info available to really determine if they are a problem or not as I see it, but I am replacing mine with Goodyear G614RST to avoid the blowout damage.

cdbMidland
03-22-2007, 10:28 PM
cooksrvinn

Sorry that you had a problem with your Trail America tires. We are running the same on our 5er.

You mentioned that you were running at 100 psi. Last year at the rally, we were told that a towable's tires should be run at the maximum cold psi shown on the sidewall. for TA G-rated tires, this is 110 psi. I wonder if this 10 psi difference could have caused the problem.

Comments anyone???

Chulinw
03-23-2007, 04:47 PM
When I had my tire blow out I was traveling by myself and two dogs. I only had 10 changes of cloths some dog food and 1/3 tank of fresh water. The tire came apart and did lots of damage. Like Chopperbill said get hold of a Michelin XPS and the Kenda tires I had on my unit and you will see the difference. I have the XPS on now and will always use them. Extra cost is worth the peace of mind going down the road at 60mph.

fhollan
03-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Chulinw:
You mentioned Michelin XPS. What size do you have on your BH? Before I take a long trip this year, I want to get the Mission's replaced with the Michelin XPS since there are to many horror stories. The price might be higher, but safety first.

ct0218
03-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Unless Michelin, or any other tire manufacturer, has just introduced a new tire, the ONLY tire available in the same size and load range is the Goodyear G614RST. I heard that Greenball was introducing a LR G tire in the correct size, but no one else to my knowledge. Apparently not enough demand for that particular tire.

fireflipper
03-23-2007, 08:22 PM
I reccommend the Goodyear G 614's. I have about twenty thousand miles on mine and still have alot of tread left. Always run the max psi if loaded.

Chulinw
03-24-2007, 11:47 AM
fhallon the tire size is 235/85R16. They cost me $215.30 ea and had all five put on and balance. Just visit a tire store and pickup one and you will be surprise just how heavey they are and compare to another tire the same size.

ChopperBill
03-24-2007, 12:44 PM
fhallon the tire size is 235/85R16. They cost me $215.30 ea and had all five put on and balance. Just visit a tire store and pickup one and you will be surprise just how heavy they are and compare to another tire the same size.
Yep when I was changing the tire buster asked "why are you doing that when you have good 10 ply tires." Said "I don't trust them" When he got done mounting them he said he now knew what I meant. The side walls on the Michelin's are like a battle ship compared to the Chinese offering.

fhollan
03-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Yep when I was changing the tire buster asked "why are you doing that when you have good 10 ply tires." Said "I don't trust them" When he got done mounting them he said he now knew what I meant. The side walls on the Michelin's are like a battle ship compared to the Chinese offering.

ChopperBill; I like the above caption.

Chulinw; Those are the right size tires. However yours are cheaper. I checked at Camping World and they had them for $259.00. Where did you find yours? I don't know if Sam's Club would have them or not.

ct0218
03-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Looks like that we probably all have the same size tires, but some have load range E and some have load range G. Its a little confusing in this thread, not sure of the load range in every case.

Chulinw
03-25-2007, 05:44 PM
I got my tires from Dave Howell tires a local dealer that gives great prices along with service. I went to Sam's club and they would have to special order them and cost more. I always get my tires from this local dealer because of the service afterwards.

5catfam
03-25-2007, 07:21 PM
I am picking up a new BH 3055 next Saturday, I went and checked tire's today and it has Mission tires made in China. Has anyone heard of them? Should I ask that they be replaced before I take deleivery?:eek:

Tom of Ypsi
03-25-2007, 08:34 PM
I think I would have the tires replaced just from what I have read here and on rv.net. It will probably cost you for the better tires unless you can talk your dealer into replacing them at his cost.

ct0218
03-25-2007, 08:59 PM
They would not make it past the first tire store if it was mine.

phranc
03-26-2007, 08:01 PM
If memory serves me right.... the 3600 and 3670 have the G tires

fhollan
03-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Scatfam: If I knew about the Mission tires back in July 06 when I bought the BH, yes, I would probably look at the tires first. At that time I never heard of "Mission" tires until I went to this forum and RV Net. Some horror stories. I would probably attempt to negotiate a deal to get them replaced. Last fall I approached the service manager on the tires. Not being suprised, he never had any complaints about them. I would say, Safety First.

Uncle Rog
04-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Any body have to replace an aliminum wheel yet? Where did you go to get a new one?...................

billd
04-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Roger,

Here is a link to the manufacturer of the aluminum rims for the bighorns.

http://www.series06.com/series06.html

I have also read here where some have bit the bullet and got alcoa rims instead.

Here is a place that carries them. http://www.southwestwheel.com/wheels/alcoa/167041.htm

Bill

Uncle Rog
04-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks billd, those wheels do not match mine? I will get a hold of HL and see where mine are from.....How are things in Santa Ana? UR

fireflipper
04-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Uncle Rog
Don't buy a wheel until you check with the warrenty dept. I had to replace one set of steel and than a set of aluminum rims. The manufacturer shipped the rims to me directly and also reimbursed me for the remounting. My fiver was under a year old, but I do not know what the warrenty period is for the rims. I know they are not cheap. Good Luck

billd
04-03-2007, 12:17 AM
Roger,

Santa Ana is doing good. Getting ready to take the Horn out to Parker AZ for the river season.

All is well with the 5th wheel but the furnance. Sent an emil to Chirs at heartland to get this resolved.

Bill

ChopperBill
04-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Roger,

Santa Ana is doing good. Getting ready to take the Horn out to Parker AZ for the river season.

Bill
Wow! The Colo River has to wild that time of the year. One of our favorite places in the winter. (very jealous!)

Uncle Rog
04-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Chopper, up until about 10-12 yrs ago I thought that thongs were shower shoes, well I guess they still are........

bsnider
04-10-2007, 12:00 PM
I am seeing some confusion concerning tires on this forum. Please correct me if I am wrong. I have a 3400RL with a GVWR of 14,000 lbs and KARRIER tires, load range E, Max load of 3500 lbs (4 wheels times 3500 each equals 14,000 lbs - looks like no cushion here). The max pressure on the tire is 90 psi. I understand that the heavier units have stronger tires with max pressure of 110 lbs. I think we need to be careful not to encourage someone with the same tires I have from running their pressure up to 110 lbs.

I called Roger Ansel and got his advice. Remember he authorizes the warranty check when something goes wrong. He said they are getting a low number of failures on the KARRIER tires or in other words, they are performing well. He said I should run the max pressure of 90 lbs in the tires. Mine came from the factory with 65 lbs. They will have 90 from now on.

For newbes like myself, I would recommend calling Mr Ansel if you are not sure what you should do to protect your tires.

Uncle Rog
04-10-2007, 12:26 PM
bsnider, you are absolutely correct, everybody should take the time to really study what their weight / tire combination should be. "Most" E range tires are 80#, most F range 90#, and the G range at 110#. The spec plate on my 3600 calls for E range at 80# even though the GVWR is 16k, the rig came with G range tires. When I weighed the BH it was right at 15k with axel weight of 12k#, so the E range might work but I am still sticking to the 14 ply G range tire. NO tire should be filled over the stated max pressure on the side wall.....

svd
04-10-2007, 01:36 PM
bsnider,
I think you are forgetting to subtract the pin weight from the calculation. In theory, you should only have 12,000 on the axles, leaving you a margin for contents. 2,000 plus is on the truck.

busted2341
12-17-2007, 04:49 PM
I think I can chime in here now. Once again I have another tire failure with the Karrier tires. This summer I found a baseball size bubble on the outside wall of the left rear tire. Kenda (Roger) was helpful but would did not pay to replace a tire that was a year old and had less than 4000 miles on it. He gave me an adjusted price but well short of what was needed. Anyway I just discovered the front right Kenda Tire with about 4500 miles on it has the same big bubble but on the inside. Guess I give up on Kenda Karrrier tires and am ordering 4 new Goodyear Marathons....

superduty08
02-28-2010, 07:03 PM
I think I can chime in here now. Once again I have another tire failure with the Karrier tires. This summer I found a baseball size bubble on the outside wall of the left rear tire. Kenda (Roger) was helpful but would did not pay to replace a tire that was a year old and had less than 4000 miles on it. He gave me an adjusted price but well short of what was needed. Anyway I just discovered the front right Kenda Tire with about 4500 miles on it has the same big bubble but on the inside. Guess I give up on Kenda Karrrier tires and am ordering 4 new Goodyear Marathons....

Better check out those Marathons. They were made in China several years ago when I bought them for my old 5ver.