Fan running in refrigerator

jayc

Legendary Member
Refrigerator fan noise

There is a fan running on the back side of my refrigerator in my 3055. It does not seem to cut off, or at least I haven't been in the trailer when it was not running. Has anyone else had this? We noticed it during the PDI, but a tech was asked and said it was normal to hear the fan run. I am just concerned that it runs constantly. I don't boondock, so it won't run my battery down.

ChopperBill

Never hear a fan run on ours. Never heard a fan run on our Norcold in our Snowriver. Matter of fact I didnt ever know there was a fan. Pretty sure there is no fan in our Norcold.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
we have a 3055 and have never heard the fan running or we just never noticed it.

madigand

is the fan in the refrigerator inside or outside blowing air over the cooling coils? The one outside should turn off around 90 degs or less

DennisZ

The fan you hear running is a fan that moves air over the condenser coils on the back of the unit. Without the fan funning on hot days, the performance of the referigerator will be poor, and the interior temperatures can raise to 50 plus degrees inside.
I had a problem with my fan running all the time also. I found that the thermal cutoff switch that sould turn on at about 100 degrees and off at about 90 degrees wasn't turning off until well below that value. I got a replacement switch, and all works fine now.

As a secondary measure, I installed a switch to completely turn off the fan, and for use in hot waether, I can let the fan run all the time.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

C

Chulinw

Never hear a fan running on my unit. I did purchase at 12 volt fan for inside the unit to help move the cool air around on the inside. That must be something new that they have put on the refrigerator on the newer units. Mine is a 2006 purchase in April 05.

phranc

chullinw,, It's a dometic thing ,that pesky fan.. Sometime last summer there was a rash of complaints about the fan and many suggestions for it's fix. Some(myself included) added an additional fan to help move air over the coils.

My final solution was that the dealer's reefer tech moved the original fan to a more efficient location,replaced the thermo switch, and added aluminum sheet metal to smooth out the air flow,also removed a piece of paneling type of wood that was in the way of air flow..
All this is only if your reefer is in a slideout. Those mounted in a solid wall evidently have enough airflow to vent hot air properly with a chimney through roof,although some chimneys have fans too..Slideout RV's have no reefer chimney,just an extra set of louvers near top of slide ..

C

Chulinw

phrance thank you for the explaination. I have own several type of RV's over the last 20 years and never had or heard of a fan being installed on the reerer before. Again, Thanks for the education.

jayc

Legendary Member
Over the weekend I was able to determine that it is not a fan on the refrigerator. We turned the fridge off completely and it still ran. The only thing I can figure is that it is a part of the converter that runs all the time. It is very irritating, but should be taken care of next week when I have an appointment for the service work.

DennisZ

Jayc
The fan DOES NOT turn off with the referigerator, it runs all the time, at least that was the way mine was.

Ron Schoner

Tin Star
Our fan also runs. I was at the dealer and asked about it. It is for humidity control. Inside the ref. open the frez. door and in the top molding on the right side there is a switch. This switch controls the humidity fan. The fan was turned on in our unit when we picked it up, and it did run all the time, even when your turn the ref off. I turned this switch off and it did not run half the time it did when it was on. I just got back from a very hot weekend dry camping with high humidity and the fan did run off and on.

I have a master switch to my batteries and when in storage I turn it off. Everything is then off.

Hope this helps.

Ron

jayc

Legendary Member
Thanks for the info Ron, I'll look in the fridge this afternoon when I get off work.

I've been serving in Law Enforcement since 1969 also.

phranc

JayC.. a couple of owners have added a cutoff switch for the fan..Usually the switch will be put behind the lower reefer grill, on outside of trailer. Easy to locate all wiring from there.. Usefull for dry camping when you might not want that fan to come on at all..