Toilet stop up. Connie needs help

mikeandconnie

Hello every one

I'm on a trip and Connie is in are 2009 Landmark Pinhurst in Ventura . She tells me the
waist will not go down the toilet and the bowl is full.. The security guard at
the park told her she has a pump in the line that may have gone bad. However, I
do not remember every seeing a pump in this system and think it's just a pipe
down to the tank, but, I not home and can't confirm this.

Will someone confirm that there no pump under the toilet? Also, I need
some suggestion how a non-mechanical incline women with no patience can
unclogged this. The black Tank is empty.

Thanks for any help..
Mike

Connie clogged it, not me..LOL

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
No pump that I've seen. If there is a macerator it would be at the outlet near the drain hose. Most likely not enough water used to flush paper.
This sounds ugly, but try either pushing it down with a stick, along with pouring a little water with it. Or pulling it out from above if it's not too messy. Make sure the toilet valve is open.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Never heard of any extra pump in the waste systems, black or gray. If she's hooked to the sewer, have her open the black tank dump valve and gravity will empty the tank. She can then flush the toilet while it's dumping and get a little vacuum action to help pull the bowl contents out. UNLESS, there is a problem with the toilet, itself, and the ball is not rotating to allow the toilet bowl to empty. If she's not mechanically inclined, she may need a tech to fix that.

I'm looking at the pamphlet for my Sealand toilet. If the ball is not rotating with the flush pedal, it's possible the shaft is not being engaged by the spring cartridge or has broken. She may have to do some surgery to get at the shaft inside the flush pedal in order to rotate the ball to dump the bowl. If she tries to do it herself, warn her to shut off the water supply to the rig (or turn off the water pump, if using tank water) first. Once she starts disassembling the flush pedal assembly, the water valve could go into free flow and make a real mess.

Best I can do, Georgia's a long drive for me. Sorry.

jbeletti

Mike,

How are you certain the black tank is empty? Is the sewer hose connected and is the black tank valve pulled fully open? Have her check this.

How did the bowl get full? Did she flush it and it never went down and that's how it got full? I hope that the CG water is NOT connected to the black tank flush instead of the city water connection. Filling then pressurizing the black tank will ultimately push brackish water past the seal of the ball valve in the toilet. In this case, turn the water off and DO NOT press on the foot pedal. Pull the black tank handle to dump.

If the black tank valve is open and the CG water is not connected to the city water connection, haver her turn the water off so she can do as Trace suggests. Push the foot pedal down and force the toilet contents down into the tank.

Let us know how this all works out.

JohnDar

One other thought. Consider using the HOTEL listing for the area. Maybe somebody is close enough and willing to give her a hand before it gets unnecessarily expensive. Sometimes just moral support is worth it's weight in gold.

If the toilet valve functions, the water line is connected where it should be and the tank dump valve is open, then maybe a large wad of TP, et.al., is blocking the drain and preventing "movement." If the nasty is backed up from the tank into the toilet, then a drain snake may be needed to work towards the tank dump opening to clear it. Make sure there are no kinks or bends in the sewer hose, too.

SmokeyBare

Sadly this is starting to sound like the Black Tank Valve is left open... I sure hope that's not been the case.

Since the OP said the Black Tank is empty, it sounded like he knew that because the valve could have been left open.

If that WAS the case, the solids would build up directly upon entering the Black Tank, as the liquids drained away. Leaving a mountain of " Trouble". I wish you good luck with this messy problem.

Consider using a "Flush King" fitting http://www.flushking.com/ Working from the outlet side using the parks water pressure to begin to soften the solid mass and ultimately flushing it down the sewer drain.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
Have also heard of this at a campground we stayed at this last summer . The owners were seasonal and had black tank left open !! Rv had to have all new drain lines and holding tank.

Sadly this is starting to sound like the Black Tank Valve is left open... I sure hope that's not been the case.

Since the OP said the Black Tank is empty, it sounded like he knew that because the valve could have been left open.

If that WAS the case, the solids would build up directly upon entering the Black Tank, as the liquids drained away. Leaving a mountain of " Trouble". I wish you good luck with this messy problem.

Consider using a "Flush King" fitting http://www.flushking.com/ Working from the outlet side using the parks water pressure to begin to soften the solid mass and ultimately flushing it down the sewer drain.

SmokeyBare

Greg,

I've seen this in Mission Texas park this winter as well. The local mobile RV repair guy did as I described. Working from the outside, attached a Flush King valve on the sewer connection, he used the parks water pressure to apply back pressure the blockage. Doing it this way he felt was safer since the water would drain away once he opened the flush king valve and released the pressure down the parks sewer drain pipe. It took quite a while to get the dried up blockage softened enough to drain out. He would apply pressure... let it set a bit and then opened the drain to allow what ever came lose to drain away.

The RV owner was advised to NOT to leave the black tank valve open. It was suggested that he should wait till the tank was full before draining... and to be sure to use the Sani-Flush feature while draining the black tank... to help remove any residual solids that might not have drained when the valve was first opened. Not a FUN Job... but in this case it worked for the stopped up owners RV.

Marv

JohnDar

She wasn't doing a re-enactment of Slim Pickens in "1941" on the Japanese submarine, was she? Combat boots will jam a toilet every time:D.

OK, had to lighten the "load" around here. Where are we on exactly what is not working? Is the toilet valve opening as it should? Was the dump valve left open for an extended period? Inquiring minds want to know...so we can try to help.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
She wasn't doing a re-enactment of Slim Pickens in "1941" on the Japanese submarine, was she? Combat boots will jam a toilet every time:D.

OK, had to lighten the "load" around here. Where are we on exactly what is not working? Is the toilet valve opening as it should? Was the dump valve left open for an extended period? Inquiring minds want to know...so we can try to help.

A classic movie scene to be sure!

hoefler

Another way to try and clear the clog, is a shop vac. We had a customer that was a host for the park, sat there with all the drain valves open. You can guess what happened. You may want to get a good charcoal filter respirator for this. Using the vac, remove as much as possible from the top side, using plenty of water to help. Just keep pushing the hose down as far as you can get it. If you get it far enough that it will let water through, you did good. If you have a power flush fitting, use it and let it run for as long as needed. Make sure the dump valve is open. Now fill the tank half full with water and dish soap, and if you have it available, a lot of ice. Now take it for a drive, to agitate it and break it up.

JohnDar

Or lock the door and check into a motel until she can get a plumber out to help.

Who cleaned the shop vac, or did it go straight to the dumpster?

mikeandconnie

Thanks Everyone ,
Connie bailed out the RV this morning and will be staying with a friend until I get home. So all is good for now. I will post what I find and continue this tread next week.

Mike

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If the ball valve will open...how about getting a cheap snake from a hardware store or even a wire coat hanger. I see no one suggested a plumbers friend. Think that I would fill the tank with the spritzer and just let it sit with the dump valve CLOSED. How about some liquid drano.

traveler44

Saw a guy at a c.g. in Missouri who had the same thing-- toilet full but tank empty-- Grandkid flushed a toy down the toilet. He managed to push it through with a electrical fish tape inside a piece of stiff garden hose. The fish tape would slip past but with it inside the hose it was big enough to hit the toy. Maybe something fell in without being noticed and got flushed. I guess sooner or later it will wind up at the dump valve and you can get it out there. Good Luck Tom M.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
May not need to be said , but for the new rv owners !! Only thing that should be flushed is a #1 & #2 and good toilet paper that will break down !! No toilet wipes or female products !!!:rolleyes: