Charleston SC or Mytle Beach

Mike & Carol

Thinking of heading to Charleston SC in a couple of weeks. The campgrounds near there don't seem so inviting or not so much so as Mytle Beach. Only an hour and a half away to Charleston. Anyone have any experience with that?
Thanks
Mike

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Hi Mike - Hate to tell ya but Myrtle Beach is a little longer than 90 minutes from Charleston with all the stop lights and slow downs in the small communities if you are planning on going Hwy 17. We have stayed in 2 different campgrounds in the Charleston area. One is the James Island Park which in a county park with camping facilities - nice. We like the Oaks Plantation on Hwy 17 South better. Very clean park! If you want a beach area - we stay at Edisto Beach State Park. Only 30 amp service and water but you are on the beach.

Elevatorman

Mike-Oak Plantation (http://www.oakplantationcampground.com/), is a good clean campground to base camp from if you are visiting the Charleston area. Too many speed bumps though. It is a ways from Rt. 95, but if traveling hwy 17 south from the Myrtle Beach area and you don't mind the traffic and lights, and are not in a hurry, it is close to the rt. 526 bypass north around Charleston. The pads towards the back are stone, where we were. Good day trip distance from town. DO NOT!!! use your GPS to direct you to this CG. You will end up in an apartment complex behind the CG. Take a look through Google Earth, it places it correctly. I'll try to post a couple of pics from my last stop there in Oct. 2010 to give you an idea of what it looks like. 100_8640.jpg100_8641.jpg

mountain1

You should decide which you would like to be located near MB or Charleston. The drive in traffic gets old real quick and doubtful you can get to Charleston in 90 minutes. There is a fairly nice KOA on highway 17 as you come into Charleston from MB, there is a camp ground at Givans State park but it is a lot longer drive to downtown. The Oak Plantation is well located for many of the places you might want to go. If you want just a place to stay you could check out the Exchange Club/Fair Ground in Ladson it is just a jump onto I-26 and a twenty minute ride to down town. You may be the only one there depending on when you come in but they have electric and sewer, no pool or anything like that.
If you think you might want to go to Savannah then stay in Charleston for sure we are two hours away a little less if you stay at the Oaks. Not sure what you might need but I live here and would do anything I could to help you.