ATF: Bighorn - Refridgerator Hard to Open

rono

We just bought a 2012 3070RL and the wife is having a hard time opening the fridge/freezer doors. Is there a way to adjust these so that it is easier to open. THe latches don't seem to want to release the door.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We had one door on our four door refer that was difficult. I adjusted it, now all is good.
I don't know what model refer you have, but take a look on the hinge side frame for a couple of screws in a slotted hinge. You may be able to loosen the screws and slide the door over a tad. Shouldn't take much.
One thing to consider is that the freezer creates a vacuum after opening and that will make it hard to open for a while.

Peace
Dave

hoefler

If she is in and out of the fridge often, the air exchange causes a low pressure when it cools down and makes the door difficult to open. If you let it sit a few minutes after getting in it, it may open easier. If this is the case, it is normal.

Cimriver

hoefler said:
If she is in and out of the fridge often, the air exchange causes a low pressure when it cools down and makes the door difficult to open. If you let it sit a few minutes after getting in it, it may open easier. If this is the case, it is normal.

X2

brianharrison

We just bought a 2012 3070RL and the wife is having a hard time opening the fridge/freezer doors. Is there a way to adjust these so that it is easier to open. THe latches don't seem to want to release the door.

There is a screw on the latch assembly that you could try and loosten to adjust the catch; I am not sure how much adjustment is available on your unit. However I would be careful as you do not want to make the catches too easy to open, or they may open while you are travelling down the road.

New catches are sometimes stiffer when new. Sometimes it is just getting used to releasing the catch before you pull on the door.

I do not know if you have a safety catch on the refrig in the new Bighorn. Hope this helps - let us know.

Take care,
Brian

Bobby A

Ours was hard at first also, but I would push in before pulling out and that seemed to help. Now after 2 years of use it is much better. As someone said, I would rather have it a littler harder than softer, as it will make a big mess inside if your traveling and the door opens. I know someone who had that happen to, just as they were leaving the dealership with there brand new coach.