Fan-Tastic Vent

Westwind

Hi Folks -
Newby needs a little help, took 3-4 days to realize that the fan had it's own thermostat on the stair wall, had to ask for help on that. But I received quick assistance (Thank You). Now I set the thermostat to 60, because if I understand the instructions any temps over 60 should turn it on, it's pushing 88+ today. I have the switch on and the knob pushed to automatic. It should come on right? It does work if I push the knob to manual and open the vent lid manually.
But doesn't seem to like automatic.
If anyone has some suggestions on what I might be doing wrong please chime in. I did have a blown fuse on this 12 volt circuit when I got home but everything on that circuit is working now that I replaced the blown fuse. Love that little red light system, it is great.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you just want to open the vent, try moving the the temp lever slowly to increase temp until the fan starts to open.

Peace
Dave

bdb2047

We had a similar problem with ours.I called Fantastic and rep had me operate switch on fan.Turned it off waited then back on,like reboot,it fixed fan for me.Used switch on fan not thermostat.Simple fix if it works for you.Fantastic was great to work with

Westwind

Hard or Easy, I decided to change the usual "Hard" way I operate and do "Easy" and call Fan-tastic Fan, within a couple of minutes the
gentleman told me that after describing what I had done that it sounded like the wall thermostat was dysfunctional. Took it off at his
advise put the two wires together and Hey! It worked like a dream, so I think I'll upgrade the thermostat to a digital one. It will work
a little more accurately then this spring loaded one and it won't be a big expense.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hard or Easy, I decided to change the usual "Hard" way I operate and do "Easy" and call Fan-tastic Fan, within a couple of minutes the
gentleman told me that after describing what I had done that it sounded like the wall thermostat was dysfunctional. Took it off at his
advise put the two wires together and Hey! It worked like a dream, so I think I'll upgrade the thermostat to a digital one. It will work
a little more accurately then this spring loaded one and it won't be a big expense.

Interesting. Did they recommend a certain digital thermostat for it? In the photo I posted on your other thread was the $20 Hunter digital that I, and a score of others, have used to replace the analog Dometic one for the furnace/AC. I imagine the same or similar unit (dedicated to just the fan) would do the job.

Westwind

Might have to rethink this, the original Fan-tastic fan Thermostat is spring activated but it does have an off switch on the temperature adjustment lever. I quickly looked at some at Lowes but I didn't see anything that would easily work. I think I might call Fan-tastic and have them send me a new one under warranty while I look for something to upgrade this one. You don't usually find a termostat with an off/on switch and just two terminals.
I guess I could put one of those suface mounted on/off switches and then wire it to thermostat, that way I could disable fan & termostat.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
No intent to steal your thread but our fan quit working yesterday. All fuses good, both in the panel and at the fan. When using the t'stat, the cover opens but no fan. I can open and close manually but still no fan. Rocker switch is on and the fan speed control is on. I haven't dug into the problem yet cause we've had the a/c going but needed the fan to evacuate some unpleasant aroma from the WC.

Westwind

Fan-Tastic told me to disconnect the Thermostat and put wires together to see if it was the Thermostat, I don't think your problem sounds like it is the Thermostat but try it anyhow, one never knows with electronics. Call Fan-tastic, very helpful and if you need
a part you never know it might be "$-0".

JohnDar

No intent to steal your thread but our fan quit working yesterday. All fuses good, both in the panel and at the fan. When using the t'stat, the cover opens but no fan. I can open and close manually but still no fan. Rocker switch is on and the fan speed control is on. I haven't dug into the problem yet cause we've had the a/c going but needed the fan to evacuate some unpleasant aroma from the WC.

TMI, Ray. Maybe the "aroma" melted the insulation off the motor windings. Is Suzi afraid to come near you, now?? Hanging her head out the window and the rig isn't even moving.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Fan-Tastic told me to disconnect the Thermostat and put wires together to see if it was the Thermostat,".

This process interests me as our fan has always worked but...it is not temperature controlled. In other words. I can move the thermostat and the fan runs continuously regardless of the temp setting. Are there specfic "colored" wires one needs to connect or is it something that simply came loose and it is obvious?

:eek: OK...silly me...after re-reading your post I understand you are simply bypassing the thermostat to "hard-wire" the fan.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Not a whole lot to the thermostat and there is no info online about it. The only site that shows this Honeywell T812D gizmo is Fantastic Fan's (no manual for it). There is that contact screw above the magnet that can be moved, but I don't know what adjusting it does. But, mine works and if it ain't broke, I ain't mod'ing it. Yet.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Well, I figured I didn't have anything to lose so I took the cover off to have a look-see! As I was poking around I discovered the piece pointed at in yellow was out of its track or channel. Barely touched it and it fell back into place. Now the thermostat works as designed! Actually shuts the fan down at the set temperature!

thermostat.jpg

Last edited:

JohnDar

Well, I figured I didn't have anything to loose so I took the cover off to have a look-see! As I was poking around I discovered the piece pointed at in yellow was out of its track or channel. Barely touched it and it fell back into place. Now the thermostat works as designed! Actually shuts the fan down at the set temperature!

View attachment 14640

Sweet! Nothing like a simple fix.

TedS

Ray,
I had a fan in the previous trailer that acted that way. Found that the microswitch up on the fan was stuck and when the cover opened the microswitch would not follow the cover and close to start the fan. You might check that.

Westwind

Status - Fan-tastic Fan is sending me a new Thermostat, these folks are fantastic like their fan, very very helpful. The gentlemen that I talked to said that many times wood splinters from the wall board cause problems. They have asked that H remove them from the wall board prior to installation but sometimes it doesn't happen. After taking the time to sit down and check out my thermostat I could see that the pin & spring slide/temp knob were not touching no matter where you moved it. I tried adjusting it but it was a lost cause, when I pushed on it and the two made contact the fan operated perfectly.
I don't see us ever putting that fan on automatic/temp start & stop, I'm beginning to wonder if just a on/off switch would work for us. Have to think about this. Going to a RV dealer for some stuff this morning, have to check 12v
switches out.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray,
I had a fan in the previous trailer that acted that way. Found that the microswitch up on the fan was stuck and when the cover opened the microswitch would not follow the cover and close to start the fan. You might check that.
Thanks Ted, I'll look into that today.

Westwind

Well Fan-Tastic lived up to their word, this afternoon the UPS truck pull up to the house with my new Thermostat, and 15 minutes later it was installed and working. Don't know how accurate the spring activated thermostat is but the on/off portion works well. When comparing the two you couls see the difference in the contact point operation.
I know we are going to give this fan alot of use since our stove vent fan is just a recirculating one. Rather get the smells up and out. We don't do alot of cooking inside the RV that smells most is done on our grill outside.

Coyote

Over the last twenty years I have called Fantastic on a number of issues. They never fail to amaze me with their great customer service. Even out of warranty items have been replaced at zero cost. They're one great company. They know their product and provide the customer support to back it up. As soon as I brought my new Elkridge 5th wheel home from the dealer I order two fantastic vent fans and installed them a week later.

Westwind

I'm really going to invest in one for the bathroom, it will be the least expensive model with the just an on/off switch but I'm sure it will remove most air and
that is what I want it for. The little OEM one is too noisy and works too hard to remove too little.
By treating customers well you get this kind of Customer Support and following. Hopefully they will remain the company they are now and in the future.

dewwood

You mentioned that your kitchen exhaust fan is recirculating, do you have the vent on the outside of the 5er unlocked? I found out the hard way that this helps the fan work much better. There are two clips which hold it shut.