Lost 12v power

SDemers

Model: 2011 Heartland MPG 185.

Was running on battery power. Pushed bathroom fan switch, the fan spun for a second, then all lights went out. No more 12v power to anything. When plugged into standard house power (not 30 amp), all 12v and ac stuff works. Status lights show charging, and full batt. No blown fuses that I have found.

Thank you for any assistance.

Et1958

If I remember right, when you are plugged in to house current, the battery light will show full. Disconnect from house and test battery.

centerline

how many batts do you have?.... its unlikely that 2 batteries would have gone bad at the same time, but one could have been failing long before, and now the other one has failed...

its much more likely that you have corrosion on a battery terminal, or other connection...

...do you know where the main battery circuit breakers are... one could have blown and needs to be reset.... some of them have a very tiny button on the side, which when pressed will reset the breaker, others may automatically reset after they cool down....

SDemers

Thank you,

There is only one battery. The connection at the battery is clean. I will look at the manual about a battery circuit breaker.

Jadan

Model: 2011 Heartland MPG 185.

Was running on battery power. Pushed bathroom fan switch, the fan spun for a second, then all lights went out. No more 12v power to anything. When plugged into standard house power (not 30 amp), all 12v and ac stuff works. Status lights show charging, and full batt. No blown fuses that I have found.

Thank you for any assistance.
Check the Negative Battery cable where it is grounded to the chassis. Look for corrosion. How I fixed my similar problem.

centerline

Thank you,

There is only one battery. The connection at the battery is clean. I will look at the manual about a battery circuit breaker.
as the system works when plugged into shore power indicates that the 12v house circuits and converter is working as it should....

and it also shows that your battery circuit has failed...

there are only 2 wires that could cause this, which is the positive and the negative battery wires that connect to the battery........ BOTH of the wires need a good connection to the battery, AND to the circuit of the electrical system...

the negative wire may do this thru a common frame ground, with another wire continuing to run to the PDP (power distribution panel)... ALL terminal ends of the wires need to be have a clean, solid connection

the hot wire usually runs to a large fuse or circuit breaker.... then to the PDP... so, collectively, its all just a simple circuit, which has something preventing current to pass thru the wires... a test light or multimeter will be the best troubleshooting tools for that purpose.

look for corrosion, a tripped circuit breaker or a broken wire.... and sometimes, the corrosion that is causing the issue cant always be seen on the outside of a terminal, because its the corrosion INSIDE the connection that causes the problem....

Last edited:

SDemers

Thank you all for your suggestions. I loosened the ground connection at the trailer, wiggled it, to make better contact, then tightened it up. Lights, and everything else now work normal. Gotta love simple fixes!

wdk450

I like to add a spritz of Caig (Brand) DeOxIt electrical contact cleaner/restorer to any of these major electrical interconnection points when I am doing repairs or preventative maintenance. Available at Electronics stores and online.

centerline

I like to add a spritz of Caig (Brand) DeOxIt electrical contact cleaner/restorer to any of these major electrical interconnection points when I am doing repairs or preventative maintenance. Available at Electronics stores and online.
anything that fills all the small voids, keeping the moisture out of the connection, will work well.... I use silicone grease, which is the same di-electric grease, but without being so expensive due to being name branded..... silicone/dielectric grease is the only grease that is actually waterPROOF, so it is the only grease that can be used by itself to seal out water indefinitely....