Backup Camera

TomD

Hello:

I would like to add a wired backup camera to the rear of our Bighorn 3200RL. Can I get some ideas on routing the wiring by removing inside walls, etc? I know that some wires exist under the bedroom dresser drawers, but wiring to that point from the top of the rear fiberglass shell is in question.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thank you,
TomD.
tdinen57@comcast.net

DennisZ

Tom
Here's a link to the web site of Bsnider, one of the forum members that had a rear view camera installed. http://bobsmart.com/rvcamera.html

I pretty much followed his install when I did mine, the ONLY thing to be very careful of is when you pull your cable up to the LH marker light, make sure you use that point as a pivot point for pulling the wire over to your camera, if you don't, it WILL get stuck in the rear cap when it gets narrow (ask me how I know!!!). I got my camera from a company in Las Vegas that has an EBay Store, Really good guy to deal with, good products and prices. I have the monitor that is built into a rear view mirror and the surface mount camera, I think the whole deal was $230. Here is a link to his store.
http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZlvnvpi

Good luck with your install
Dennis

jbeletti

Hi Tom,

Tough to get step-by-step instructions on doing this since coaches are different and people's abilities to install are also varied.

I can tell you what I have read that many people do.

Simplified:
Run the wire down the inside of the rear cap, through the underbelly, up into the gooseneck area and out at the hitch.

Detailed:
Remove the center rear clearance light and say the door-side rear clearance light and the door-side tail light. Using a fish tape or similar, fish wiring from center light to outer light, then down to tail light, then into underbelly.

Removing as little underbelly as possibly, snake a fish tape of fiberglass fish tape poles down the length of the trailer. Pull wiring through the underbelly.

Pull wiring up into the front storage compartment and sigh across the flat gooseneck area under the hitch and then out the hitch area.

Mount camera bracket, plug in camera, mount camera to bracket, mount monitor in truck, connect to power, route camera extension cable from cab to rear of truck. Plug it all in - simple as that! Sort of...

Take your time, think it through, fish the correct ends of your wires in the correct direction. Take notes and pictures. Share with others.

Jim