Cracked Shower Dome

LookN4Ward

I have a 2010 NC 29RKS and I noticed a leak during a recent rain. Upon inspecting the dome on the roof this morning I found a large hairline crack from near the top of the dome running to the flange. I have no idea of how it became cracked. I had noticed a leak a year earlier and added some some roof caulk where the caulk had separated. I did not notice any exterior dome crack when applying more roof caulk I bought at Camping World.

I need to know who supplies shower domes to Heartland and the part number for the NC 29RKS trailer dome so I can get a replacement dome ordered. If someone from Heartland provide the information I would greatly appreciate.

It is really strange the dome would crack as the trailer is left in a stationary location ( I don't tow) and no trees overhang the trailer.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
We also had a leak in ours, I took the inside cover off and fill the crack with clear silicone then went outside and filled the same area on the roof with clear silicone. That was a year ago and it still hold up well. We tow a lot.

LookN4Ward

Thanks for the information. I had given some thought to doing it the way you suggested. I suppose hail could crack the exterior dome and explain the crack, but I would expect more problems if the hail was that large. I'll probably do what you suggested to at least get me through future rains. The heat here in South Texas is pretty intense in the summer so I'm worried that the silicone caulk might deteriorate quickly. I'll look for a clear silicone caulk that is recommended for high temps.

DMitch

I broke mine on a tree branch. Called Heartland Parts and in a few days a new one was on the way.

We had the same problem after only 2 years. I caulked it and thought it was over, but, as it turned out, that was only a quick and short-lived fix. When the mobile rv guy tried to remove it, the whole dome cracked into tiny pieces. We got our replacement directly from Heartland instead of ordering from somewhere else and getting a dome that didn't have the same screw hole pattern.

LookN4Ward

I just removed the interior cover over the shower and found five cracks. The cracks line up with screw heads. I think the assembler over tightened the exterior screws splitting the dome. I think I should take a picture of the problem and see if Heartland will send me a replacement exterior dome. I can fix the problem myself, but it is something that Heartland should watch as part of their quality control.IMG_1368.JPG

My exterior shower dome problem has been fixed. I got a hold of Heartland and they replaced the dome at dealer cost plus shipping. A friend supplied the caulk that goes under the lip of the dome and I had the rubber roof cement. It took a couple of hours to do. Removing the old rubber cement and caulk took the most time. The problem was the result over tightening the screws. Two or three screws actually broke the lip section. This is an area where Heartland might want to do some quality control.

Last edited: