Towing Vehicle

Joe43

What size gasoline powered pick up would be needed to tow a Big Country Fifth Wheel? I know Diesel is probably the best way to go, but my better half does not like the noise a diesel truck makes. Thanks in advance for any guidance or recommendations.

Sandie

We have a 2011 Chevy diesel and it is very quiet in comparison to our 2003 that we had. When your inside, you can hardly hear it and really having had both, we would never tow a heavy load without a diesel again. Of course this is just our opinion.

pegmikef

My 2011 F250 6.7L diesel is also very quiet, a lot quieter than some diesels just a few years old. I switched from gas to diesel right after I found out that my towing mileage would improve by about 3 mpg so in the long run fuel cost is actually a little lower than gas.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We have the new 6.7L Dodge and it is very quiet also, as opposed to the older Dodges that were known for their noisy engines. When we're traveling we can't hear the engine.

I can't make a recomendation for a gas-powered truck any more. We had a 7.4 (454cid) GMC that had plenty of power but BAD mileage.

branson4020

Icantre Member
The noise of a gasser wound up to 3800 RPMs struggling up a grade is far worse than anything you'll hear from a modern diesel.

Speedy

Either the 8.0L GM or the V10 from Ford. They'll be a special order if you go with a 1 ton since most 1 tons are going to be diesel. I recomend the 1 ton for your BC choice.

PUG

Pug
My 09 Ram Cummins, 6.7 diesel purrs along like a kitten. It is far quieter than a rapped out gasser and will last many times over. If you are serious about pulling a trl forget the gassr. Get a one ton dually diesel powered and you will not be sorry.

Sandpirate69

I have to agree with the posts below. I went from my great 2002 6.0 L. to my new 2008 6.6L Duramax/Allison and I will never go back to a gasser. The torque is out of this world and my diesel is not loud at all. As you can see on my signiture, O'l faithful was retired. Never had a problem with it, but really needed to have the extra power and foot print.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
You will want a 3/4 ton or larger. Any of the New gasers will tow your rig just fine, or if you want used the 2005-2010 Ford V-10 is a good choice. If noise is your only concern then pick a newer diesel as they are quiet compaired to years past.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you're going to pull with a gasser, better win the lottery to pay for the fuel. Gasoline may be cheaper than diesel, but you'll be sucking more of it up. Along with the others, my 2009 GMC diesel is very quiet, even going uphill. And a BH3670 is not a light-weight trailer, either.

mikeandconnie

You need to also think about distance before fillups. We were out west with a heavy head wind and many hilly grades. A good day went bad 4 miles to our planned fuel stop. Now I have a aux tank with a 800 mile fuel range. 1 fuel stop a day is nice on a long trip and no fuel stops on a short trip is wonderful. I don't think this much gas on board would be safe or legal. I agree my 2011 duramax is very quiet. Take your wife for a test drive. The single tire 3500 Duramax has a payload of 4000 lbs.

branson4020

Icantre Member
You need to also think about distance before fillups. We were out west with a heavy head wind and many hilly grades. A good day went bad 4 miles to our planned fuel stop. Now I have a aux tank with a 800 mile fuel range. 1 fuel stop a day is nice on a long trip and no fuel stops on a short trip is wonderful. I don't think this much gas on board would be safe or legal. I agree my 2011 duramax is very quiet. Take your wife for a test drive. The single tire 3500 Duramax has a payload of 4000 lbs.

That's a good point. I pulled a SOB about the same size as a small BC with a Dodge V-10, 30-something gallon tank I think. My range was only about 175-200 miles.

MTPockets

Drove 18,000 miles last year in our old Class C with Ford V10 - 9.3 MPG..... Our new 6.7 Deisel right now is running 14 MPG and it's a really quiet engine.

JJOren

Having read all of this thread, the best recommendation I can make is that you sit down and cost it all out. You know your driving habits, you know how long you typically drive a truck. (The fact that you COULD drive a diesel 200K doesn't matter if you only drive it 100k). Once you know the estimated total mileage, calculate the fuel cost for that mileage based on what you believe the two trucks will achieve. Add that fuel cost to the cost of the truck and divide by the total mileage. You'll get an estimated cost per mile for the two trucks.

In my case, I drive a 2002 2500 HD 8.1 Gasser with an Allison behind it. When I pushed the pencil, it figured out that I would have to drive the diesel 223,000 miles to break even. Since I rarely drive a vehicle more than 125,000 miles, it the diesel just didn't make sense for me! And, I'm still towing my Landmark with that 10 year old 8.1.

Just be sure you're thinking with your pencil, not testosterone!!!!

Bruce11

Good information on previous post, my recommendation is diesel if RVing is a long term plan and you will go frequently enough to notice the difference between gas and diesel. On another note if you're going to pay for a diesel check out the pay load and gvwr. Some diesels may be able to pull the rig, but you will be overweight for the king pin weight. Go for the 350, 3500, etc. you will not be as limited with your rig or future rigs. I wish i had paid more attention to this, I am limited by the capacity of our diesel F250.

mikeandconnie

Joe
For piece of mind, make sure you buy the correct gas or diesel truck the first time base towing rating and pin weight. There are many threads on the forum on this subject.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I don't know if you are looking for new or used. We were able to find our used diesel with only 9000 miles on it, for far less than what a new gas model cost. I guess it all comes down to what you like, what will work and what fits the budget.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Our 2007 2500 D/A is noisy if you are outside. Inside pulling all I can hear is the turbo spool up when pulling hills. I will never go back to a gasser. We average 10-12 MPG towing grossing 22K. You will never get that with a gasser. Our son has an 06 2500 D/A and has almost 300K on it and he pulls alot. Can't go wrong with a D/A combo. With a 3650 you will kill a gasser.

lorax

Great advice from JJOren! My kids laughed at me with my two sides on a sheet of paper. They do it now and it works.

Ted