Thinking about leaving Heartland

jcarnevale

We've had our Sundance for three seasons now and still love camping in it and have never regretted buying it. But the kids have out grown the loft floorplan and the DW and I both feel it's time to move up a level. We are also starting to see a fair amount of small things fail or break but that's what happens when you use your camper a lot. We're looking at another manufacturer 20 miles east of Elkhart. We've compared the Bighorn Silverado SV37Q3 and the Elk Ridge ER37 Ultimate but still think the 399BHS is a better coach. Can someone try and talk me out of this....why shouldn't we buy from Oscar Romeo? I know it's a small company and have had some setbacks but the value seems to be there as it was three years ago before the god of Thunder bought Heartland.:confused:

MTPockets

Why wouldn't you compare that to a Bighorn or Landmark? Doesn't seem like apples to apples to compare with Silverado and Elk Ridge.

jcarnevale

Look at the floor plans, we would like a bunk house model. Landmark doesn't make a kid friendly model, not to mention the weight and money thing...

ihsolutions

I've heard a lot of complaints about Oscar Romeo on RV.net. Specifically the cable driven slideout systems.

If you look at the way those coaches are built, there are a lot of corners cut. You have to look carefully, and compare in detail.

I looked at them extensively two years ago, when we were (at that time) considering the same one as you, along with the Elkridge bunk model.

Not to say they are bad rigs, but I'm also willing to bet their customer service doesn't stack up against Heartland, either.

jcarnevale

I've heard a lot of complaints about Oscar Romeo on RV.net. Specifically the cable driven slideout systems.

If you look at the way those coaches are built, there are a lot of corners cut. You have to look carefully, and compare in detail.

I looked at them extensively two years ago, when we were (at that time) considering the same one as you, along with the Elkridge bunk model.

Not to say they are bad rigs, but I'm also willing to bet their customer service doesn't stack up against Heartland, either.

I have read the complaints also, and it does concern me. Customer service at Heartland is top-notch no doubt. Another downside to Oscar Romeo is that you cannot buy parts directly from them. I am going to schedule a factory tour to see what's going on. I heard they don't allow cameras in the building, what's up with that?

jbeletti

I have read the complaints also, and it does concern me. Customer service at Heartland is top-notch no doubt. Another downside to Oscar Romeo is that you cannot buy parts directly from them. I am going to schedule a factory tour to see what's going on. I heard they don't allow cameras in the building, what's up with that?

Do re-visit Heartland when you're in town to visit the BH and ER lines (separate plants). And bring your camera :)

Hope we can keep you in the family.

RoadJunkie

You owe it to yourself to consider all options and what brand of coach meets your needs. It sounds like you're struggling with a level of brand loyalty, bias towards Heartland. If you take the blindfold test, that is, mentally remove the product badge, which coach meets your needs? I think you are on the right path by doing your homework, visiting the factories, etc. Take your time and look at what's out there, after all, to me, that's the fun part.

jcarnevale

You owe it to yourself to consider all options and what brand of coach meets your needs. It sounds like you're struggling with a level of brand loyalty, bias towards Heartland. If you take the blindfold test, that is, mentally remove the product badge, which coach meets your needs? I think you are on the right path by doing your homework, visiting the factories, etc. Take your time and look at what's out there, after all, to me, that's the fun part.
I agree, it is fun doing the homework, and I am struggling with brand loyalty. We bought our Heartland in large part due to the customer service, among other things. Times change very quickly in the RV industry as we are finding out. Manufacturers are trying desperately to make a product that simultaneously are profitable, competitive, and meet customer demand. Our job as consumers is to find that balance between needs and wants within our budget. We don't plan on making a move until next year when the new models come out in the spring, I figured I'd better start doing my homework now. It will be a sad day when the RLB rolls down the road without us, but still exciting to what the future has in store for us next. I thank all of you for your responses.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
First of all, I believe HL is the best customer service in the business.

They also make a great product. Best bang for the buck. IMHO.

This is our 5th RV. By far the best package overall, we have had.

Certainly hope you will choose to stay with HL.

One question however, what's an Oscar Romeo? :-/ Trace

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Have you given any thought to a Cyclone?
I have run across folks who use the back as a second bedroom, or bunk house, if you will.

We considered it for the pets, but the DW liked the kitchen in the BH. Trace

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ahhh....now that helps! Thanks, Jim!
I Know! I didn't associate it with the phonetic alphabet till Jim gave it away. I looked at the 399BRS mentioned in the beginning post. It seems like a very light trailer for a 38 footer. Unless you opt for the big dinette/sofa option, the only place to watch TV from is the small couch. No recliners! There were several other things I didn't care for either but no point in knocking an SOB. Most of us know and are pleased with Heartland. No reason for me to switch.

jcarnevale

Have you given any thought to a Cyclone?
I have run across folks who use the back as a second bedroom, or bunk house, if you will.

We considered it for the pets, but the DW liked the kitchen in the BH. Trace

Yes we have considered a Cyclone, the plan is to get a bunkhouse model for the next couple of years until the kids grow up a little more and I have time to acquire a F450, then move into a CY4100 King or something like that. We like the fact that heartland has listened to its consumers and made the toy haulers much more residential. We hope that trend continues and maybe something even better will come from Heartland in the years to come. Until then we will be in a bunkhouse, SOB or Heartland, the jury is still out.

PS: please, no replies regarding the TV.

Jay

sjs731

We have a 3300CK and love the bunkhouse an so do our kids.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

camr

If I can be of any help to this post, we moved from an Edge M22 to an Oscar Romeo 345RLS this summer, so I can speak from both sides. Our Edge was a flawless unit, and I can only speak highly of Heartland.
The Heartland brand is not represented well at the local level, with only the Elkridge model sold at a dealer that made it very clear that Jayco was their main brand focus. We were only shown the Elkridge on the lot after specifically asking to see it. On our wish list we wanted a king bed, dual pane windows, and an upper grade kitchen (corian countertops, etc.), and to stay under 35 ft. The "Jayco" dealer could not have been less interested.
We stumbled upon the OR when visiting dealers looking for a gently used Heartland. They are a newer company, perhaps in a place where Heatland was several years ago, owned by former executives from other RV brands. They are incredibly responsive to warranty and non warranty issues, and I cannot remember a single post from the owners forum complaining about factory service. I am sure there must be some, but they must be very few. There have been issues regarding the cable slide system, but once they have been properly adjusted, they seem as reliable as any other system. We did have to have one cable alignment adjusted, and have had no issues since. The BAL Accuslide system is used in several motorhome brands, and I believe is even used in some Heartland units.
The OR line features 100 inch width, allowing an extra 4 inches for either bed length or dresser length, a standard levelling system, and standard JT Strongarms.

From a post that I had placed on RVnet, I received a personal message from the Heartland president asking in a very friendly manner, why we had chosen the OR brand. I don't think I can offer a higher endorsement of a brand than personal contact from the brand's president. When it comes time to replace the OR, I will most certainly be considering the Heartland brand.

To sum up, we have been very satisfied with the OR 345RLS, but we were equally satisfied with our Heartland unit.

The measure of any brand is not whether they have problems, but how those problems are rectified. Both brands seem to have found the formula.

-Cam

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Thought about not responding to this thread as I did not want to come across as "Hung up on Heartland" even though I will readily admit, I am. But, my daughter and son-in-law bought an OR TT last year and have found several poor construction issues. I helped them re-build the sliding door assembly to the front bedroom recently. The hanging method was most inadequate; both doors had pulled the header down on trip to Colorado. They are looking to replace unit soon.

jbeletti

Hi Cam,

Thanks for being a past Heartland owner. We miss you! Thanks for your objective appraisal of the Edge and the OR. I don't generally make it to Manitoba - but maybe you'll see some of us Heartlanders next time you are state-side :)