Can't get the cover off the light of ceiling fan...

ParkIt

Probably the dumbest question ever but I can't get the glass cover off the ceiling fan to change the bulb. Called HL service, they said it probably screws off. Um, I tried every possible way and it isn't budging and I don't want to break anything. There isn't any information as to what kind of fan it is - or I'd just google it. 2011 3500RL
Anyone? (johndar will probably respond and I'll be laughing) ;)

Thanks!

donr827

On my Bighorn there are four set screws that you access from over the metal rim that is around the glass globe. I saw them when the light globe fell off on a recent trip.
Don

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
On my Bighorn there are four set screws that you access from over the metal rim that is around the glass globe. I saw them when the light globe fell off on a recent trip.
Don

They were obviously doing their job well! :rolleyes:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If they're set screws (I haven't looked at mine), you could probably replace them with a cap head style thumb screw so you can tighten them with your fingers instead of an allen wrench.

mobilcastle

I will have to look at mine to see how it is mounted. When you get ready to re-install the globe-do not tighten to tight. I have seen globes in homes expand and explode on to the floor-leave some room for expansion but not enough to fall down.

ParkIt

I will have to look at mine to see how it is mounted. When you get ready to re-install the globe-do not tighten to tight. I have seen globes in homes expand and explode on to the floor-leave some room for expansion but not enough to fall down.
Eeeeks! light cover exploding = bad. Then again my Grandpa used to tell us kids not to tighten something so much it would strip the threads so I apply it to everything else.
Don

No screws or I would have had that sucker off in a couple of minutes tops. Sorry yours fell off, hopefully it didn't break.

JohnDar, hadn't thought to look for a hex or allen screw head, its the rubbed oil bronze (aka: so dark even in bright light you can't tell) so I'll poke around to see if there is one and change it out like you mentioned. Not that there aren't others who would know this stuff but I seriously think you could dismantle your entire unit, put it back together and have time to do some bicep crunches with a beer afterwards ;)

Thanks!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

JohnDar, hadn't thought to look for a hex or allen screw head, its the rubbed oil bronze (aka: so dark even in bright light you can't tell) so I'll poke around to see if there is one and change it out like you mentioned. Not that there aren't others who would know this stuff but I seriously think you could dismantle your entire unit, put it back together and have time to do some bicep crunches with a beer afterwards ;)

Thanks![/COLOR]

Ha Ha! Thanks for that vote of confidence, but 99% of what I know about fiddling with my rig I learned from the others on this forum.